cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waste water totes for fresh water

no-logic
Explorer
Explorer
When my wife and I are on longer trips we often have to add more fresh water in order to shower, wash up, and do dishes. In the past we've used 2 x 5 gallon jugs to add fresh water. I devised a system where using the house water pump we can pump it into the fresh tank. But we are getting older and these jugs can be hard to deal with. We want to buy a new Rhino 15 gallon waste water tote in order to replenish our water as it has wheels and would make life easier. A friend told me that these are not safe for potable water. We don't drink from our fresh tank and won't store water in this tote. It would strictly be for topping off the fresh tank. Has anyone else done similar or have any input on doing this?
Thanks!
2012 Palomino T-245
2016 GMC Sierra
5.3L
Borla Exhaust
Blue Ox hitch
28 REPLIES 28

no-logic
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Agree on using a proper bladder for your refills.

I've never been one to care too much, what other people think. However, using an obvious sewer tote, to refill my fresh water supply, is not something I'd want my camping neighbors to witness.

Jerry

We thought about this. I personally don't give a #@#$ what my neighbors think. But We will definitely mark it for potable water only.
I will look into the bladder though. It might be tough to make room in my short bed pickup. When we travel there's lots of stuff in there.
Thanks for all of your thought and suggestions!
2012 Palomino T-245
2016 GMC Sierra
5.3L
Borla Exhaust
Blue Ox hitch

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I use a spray tank with the pump already mounted on it (never had anything in it put potable water). I took off the spray hose and attached a garden hose quick connect and for the electrical changed the alligator clips to a standard rv plug. You can get these sized from 15 to 50 gallons or more.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree on using a proper bladder for your refills.

I've never been one to care too much, what other people think. However, using an obvious sewer tote, to refill my fresh water supply, is not something I'd want my camping neighbors to witness.

Jerry

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think a bladder in the truck makes more sense (easier to store and transport when empty) but getting a new poop tank that's never been used for poo should be perfectly fine. Talk about the plastic leaching is paranoia.

Don't be surprised when the neighbors freak out though if they see you filling your tank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I use two 7 gallon Aqua-Tainer jugs to haul fresh water to pump into our fresh tank as needed on non-water sites. The only concession I've made to my advancing age was the purchase of folding dolly that makes moving them easier when full. Our portable waste tank is reserved for... waste.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dedmiston
I'm not a picky person and I believe in the five second rule. I assume that anything on the list of stuff that's going to kill me has probably happened and is already fermenting in my body somehow, waiting to spring into action when I least expect it.

But drinking from the stinky tote (even if it's never been stunk up yet) is definitely on my personal No-Fly List, especially when there are better ways to do it.

The bladder in the bed of the truck with a portable pump sounds like a winner to me.

Even if you aren't afraid of the cooties or tumor pills inside the tote, think about the weight. If you're already struggling with your 5 gallon jugs, then a tote is going to be even worse even if it has wheels on one end.

I guess one more option though would be to just buy more of the jugs and don't fill them to the point where you can't carry them. Four jugs with 2.5 gallons would be more manageable than two jugs with 5 gallons. Maybe that's easier said than done though, because I typically fill my 5 gal fuel jugs with 5.5-6 gallons because that's what my caveman brain tells me to do (bring as much as will fit into the container).

Anything but the tote though for me. And my queen would nix that plan even faster than I would.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Since waste water tanks are focused on waste not drinking water, there are lots more materials they can use, including "regrind" or waste plastic that has been reprocessed. If so, not knowing what material was used, once could end up with stuff leaching into the water that you don't want around you. Look on the tank and see if it says X% recycled material. If so I'd be concerned. That recycled material could be food grade regrind or it could be reprocessed assorted who knows what.

If the tank is approved for potable water don't see any issues as long as you can make sure it isn't accidentally used for non potable water.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no reason not to use a new unused tote you described.It is made out of HDPE it is widely approved by both standards organizations and code agencies for potable cold water applications.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I had a collapsible wagon that I put lots of things in to move them and one was a marine water bladder. The bladder was just that and the wagon could be folded up and stowed on board.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Second something in bed of truck. A 12v pump isn't terribly expensive to use to pump the water from there into your fresh tank (if your current arrangement can't do this). At the end you have no heavy lifting or moving and a bladder is easily stowed away.

Would I use a waste tote for potable water? Likely not. There's other options.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do so unless the plastic container is approved for drinking water.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can buy a 30 gal, or larger, bladder that will fit in the back of your truck. And much cheaper than one of those totes. Amazon has them

29 gal
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Do you use the fresh water tank for cooking? Dish washing? Tooth brushing? Even if you do not normally, I still would not put any questionable water in the fresh water tank.

Some of the totes are made with HDPE plastic which is considered safe for food and drinking water. As long as the tote was never used for anything but clean potable water and sanitized periodically I see no reason not to use one to transport fresh water. Use a large permanent marker to mark it POTABLE WATER ONLY.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of a reason against using a new water tote for fresh water, but I would be sure to mark it clearly as potable water ONLY.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.