cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tanks on 5th wheel, how many and how do they work?

Lizastarr
Explorer
Explorer
New here. I moved into a 2003 Dutchmen 33rl 5th wheel recently due to spouses death and loss of home/job/stability. This thing is a mess! Anyways, today's issue is the grey and black water tanks. My campground site has no sewer hookups so will be using the honey wagon. Went to assist the worker and the 3 or 4 valves are not moving and handles are broken. I have no owners manual. I assume I need to replace the handles and cables? There is a bottom, so that needs removing first? How many tanks do I have? My inside monitor says galley/grey/black/fresh/battery. I have no clue how THAT works either. It's a micro monitor with a switch that says PUMP.

Since I lost everything, am 58 and now have cancer and emphysema, I need to learn all this asap.

Help?

I also have a zillion other problems with this rv ๐Ÿ˜ž
10 REPLIES 10

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the plastic handles come off. They can be replaced easily. I have used a 1/4" wing nut screwed onto to the threaded rod temporarily to operate the valves.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll second the motion, to start looking through, searching youtube videos related to this. It is not realistic for anyone to provide you a tutorial on all this via an online forum, and its very unlikely anyone on here is going to know specifically how your rig is plumbed. Especially considering how old it is.

I would just do some searches on youtube, watch some videos, learn all you can that way. There are soooo many videos out there that explain how to do most anything with RVs. You are definitely on the right path, by getting a mobile RV tech out there. Hopefully you get a good one, and they will be able to help you with these things, and help you learn how these things work.

My rig also has the cables connecting the handles to the dump valves. Not crazy about that approach, but is necessary in many cases. No doubt sometime in the future, I'll have issues like what you're having with the cables, handles.

The more you can learn how these things work and get to where you can handle some repairs yourself, the better off you will be.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, there is no way to give you a tutorial thru words. No manual includes anything to tell you how the mechanicals function on any RV.

You will need to browse thru youtube videos for the best kind of 'free' help in the issues you have and just learn as you go!

I hope your situation improves as you move forward with the hand you are dealt..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Based on your description of the panel, it has 2 gray tanks 1 for the kitchen sink (galley) and the other for the bathroom.

And Iโ€™m sorry to hear of your loss. I know what youโ€™re feeling losing your spouse.
I pray things get better for you.
Replacing or repairing the valves is not terribly difficult for anyone with basic skills. But might be a schitty jobโ€ฆ Even a mediocre repair man, if honest, should be able to get it done for ya.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lizastarr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks..the plastic handles are all broke and will not pull in or out. That's all I know at this point.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lizastarr wrote:
Bukhrn...I'm going to assume I have cables but the could be rods? I have not had anyone drop my belly yet on the rv to see the cables/rods/valves.

I've owned a few RV's with cables on dump valves. If the handles are not directly connected to the valves, like tucked neatly in a bin, a cable is usually connected to the handle to in turn pull the valve open or closed. These cables can rust and seize, so can the valves/blades themselves. Maybe you need wd40, maybe you need all new cables and valves. Someone would have to troubleshoot it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lizastarr
Explorer
Explorer
Bukhrn...I'm going to assume I have cables but the could be rods? I have not had anyone drop my belly yet on the rv to see the cables/rods/valves.

Lizastarr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tyler0215...I have a mobile rv repair coming next week to repair my leaking rv toilet. Been in this rv nearly 2 weeks with no working bathroom. Argh. Unfortunately $$$ is an issue.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never used a Dutchman, but your tanks could be plumbed in a few different configurations, mine has the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower plumbed together into the grey water tank, the toilet dumps directly into the black tank, Fresh is pretty self explanatory, that's your fresh (drinking) water, some have the bathroom sink plumbed into the black tank usually because of proximity to the black tank, some larger 5th wheels and class A's have 2 grey tanks,(I don't know how they're plumbed).
As far as your monitor, it tells you how much is in each tank, Empty? 1/3, 2/3, full, the battery tells you how much charge is left in the batteries, assuming they work, blank tank gages are notoriously incorrect.
The switch that says Pump is for the pump that pumps water from your fresh tank to your faucets.
As far as your tank dump valves, you've left me in the fog, as mine doesn't have "cables", they are a blade type valve with a straight rod that pulls to open the valve and pushes in to close, I have had to replace a handle as the originals are plastic, the replacement I got is metal.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
WOWZA! I think you need to call a mobile RV tech and have help with your problems.
Or find a veteran RV'er that might be willing to help.