Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of deals are out there?

Kostyan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks

Contemplating an upgrade. Called a couple of local places and got lowballed on my trade.

There is a feller who said a Delaware dealer gave him 15k on his trade of a 2002 trailer to buy a brand new 30k trailer. For 2002 to get a 15k on a trade is almost unreal. Has anyone had similar success story?

I am in MD, but looking for nearby states as well
2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser by Trail Lite C21RBH
towed by 2012 BMW X5 diesel
12 REPLIES 12

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
You'd do better to sell privately. RV trades, car trades, whatever - if they give you a good trade you pay more for the vehicle you are buying, less on trade more off on the newer vehicle. Although Car and RV sales is a bit of a mess right now. I still think it's a seller's market.

And - there you have xlnt advice!

Sell your existing RV yourself. You will be able to do better negotiating a price for the one you wish to purchase!

Lastly - don't buy from a dealer's lot (inventory). Order it - shop for the best deal via the internet. See what kind of a deal you can get from a "distant" dealer. Then decide if the $$ you save by traveling is worth it to you. If not try that local outfit again - tell 'em you're ready to go out of state for the better deal/price.

Happy hunting!

~

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
abom2 wrote:

I am not sure when or if purchasing new will be like it was in 2007.

Probably in 2024 they way things are headed....I hope anyway.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
belairbrian wrote:
We just traded our 2009 fth wheel for a 2022 travel trailer.
Trade offers were all over the place. We told the dealers we were looking at TT under 20ft 6K or less GVWR. None new for sure which model they would be negotiating.

Offers were $4K, 6K and $8.5K.

NADA retail was $12.5K so you can kind of see the ratios. The high offer was about 70% of NADA retail.

So, if high offer was 70% of retail . . . the dealer takes it in on trade, goes over it and fixes everything that needs attention, pays to advertise it, and sells it (probably with some type of warranty). Looks to me like the dealer deserves that extra 30% (and that's IF he gets NADA retail for it). The other option is to sell it yourself.

Y'all used car salesmen sure stick together!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
Beginning of year my 5th wheel was broken into and vandalized. To me the RV was worth less than sending to salvage.

Wife and I had been discussing options in the year prior. Storage cost exceeded what we thought was its value.

There was 17 RV's broken into and vandalized in that one episode.

Insurance totaled 5th wheel. I was offered 19K more than what I thought it was worth. RV had been through several blizzards, multiple winters on the Northern Plains, plus a couple of Cat 2 and 3 Hurricanes.

Besides being drug from Florida to AZ or Texas to ND and IL as I followed work.

I did accept the offer from insurance and they picked it up.

Used those funds to buy a 1 year old TC from a gentlemen. He was asking what I received from insurance.

He was asking 10K less than what Dealers were showing online. His asking price was in line with KBB yellow book.

I feel like I won the lottery.

I am not sure when or if purchasing new will be like it was in 2007.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
belairbrian wrote:
Trade offers were all over the place. We told the dealers we were looking at TT under 20ft 6K or less GVWR. None new for sure which model they would be negotiating.

NADA retail was $12.5K so you can kind of see the ratios. The high offer was about 70% of NADA retail.

So, if high offer was 70% of retail . . . the dealer takes it in on trade, goes over it and fixes everything that needs attention, pays to advertise it, and sells it (probably with some type of warranty). Looks to me like the dealer deserves that extra 30% (and that's IF he gets NADA retail for it). The other option is to sell it yourself.

If you take the NADA "low retail" without adding a bunch of options then subtract 30% it will put you in the ballpark for a trade in value, which is a wholesale number. The $4K is an accurate number for the OP. You're talking about a 13 year old TT. No dealer is paying $8.5K for a 13 yr old trade without adding $4K to $5K into the deal somewhere. If they are they're not going to be in business long.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
belairbrian wrote:

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
How's this for a deal? At the local Walmart a loaf of store baked Italian bread was $1.00 per loaf for quite awhile, last night it had jumped to $1.47, I bought one last Sunday for $1.00. That's one hell of a deal isn't it? A 47% increase in a loaf of bread. This simple stuff makes me ponder that with an economic trajectory like this buying recreational high ticket items at present may not be the best financial decision. We're not in a recession, and inflation is no big deal, or so they tell me lol.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Quoted trade numbers are meaningless without knowing the price paid for the new RV vs MSRP of that RV. Dealers jack up their asking prices to give a high trade value. If they raise their price $5k they can offer $5k more for yours. If you deal on their RV first and then talk trade, the amount they offer for yours will be lower.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Money talks BS walks!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
A similar success story? You looking for the truth, or just another feller?

Usually the people that get these unreal deals is because they're just that -- not real. Same people get 15 mpg on their Class C Ford V-10's. :C

If you keep shopping you'll find the deal that's right for you.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You'd do better to sell privately. RV trades, car trades, whatever - if they give you a good trade you pay more for the vehicle you are buying, less on trade more off on the newer vehicle. Although Car and RV sales is a bit of a mess right now. I still think it's a seller's market.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS