cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Car auto insurance

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
So, wife and I have been traveling in our MH now for two years full-time. Just notified by our car insurance company that because we do not own a home we can not insure our car..I don't really understand this since people out there don't own homes and only rent.

Any suggestions as to whom to call to get a good plan??
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some nice reflection of days gone by in this threadโ€ฆ. What purpose it serves to the OPs question is unclear.
Anyway, OP, get a different insurance company. Without getting specific, there are many reasons insurance companies are finicky about different things. Good news is thereโ€™s plenty of competition.
Maybe you had the homeowners bundle and it just caught up w you?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
In the service and driving a Corvette. Thatโ€™s sounds familiar! Mine was a โ€˜70.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance companies have operating policies that are sometimes difficult to explain. We insured a 1969 Corvette once through GMAC when we purchased it at the dealer. We bought it in Virginia lived in Maryland and both worked in D.C. After a couple months we received a letter from GMAC to the effect that we were being canceled effective that month.
I spoke to GMAC and their reasons were that we lived near D.C. it was a Corvette, and lastly I was in the service.
I called our bank in my home town and got Travelers insurance that day no questions asked. Needless to say GMAC has not been in the picture since.
I could have called Geico and been insured. Can you imagine them denying coverage to someone in the service near D.C.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
How is your MH insured? We had a similar issue and were informed we were canceled because we were living in our car. We needed to get a policy on the 5th wheel like a home owners policy, with a related insurance company. now all is good.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you receive your mail? Weve been fulltime 12 years soon to start 13th, same insurance carrier the whole time. Weve changed address three times in those 12 years. Two of those were and are mail forwarding addresses.
What insurance companies want is where you garage your vehicle so they can rate you according to the zip code. No matter how good your driving record is your base rate is determined by your zip code.
If the insurance company says it has to do with the Patriot Act as banks and financial institutions or brokerage houses do. We've shown enough mail from the federal government to prove that our address is recognized as our legal address.
The only thing that I can think of is you have a mailing address in a state that your insurance company is not registered to sell insurance.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
We are Escapee members so our "home" is Livingston, TX. That's an RV park but it's my legal residence. A few businesses won't accept the address but the IRS does and my vehicle registrations are all valid.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My car was registered at my Brother's address. NO tribble.
I still don't "Own" a home (Rent an apartment and now it's registered here)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are a resident somewhere - vehicle registration, medical, drivers license, taxes, etc. Can't you use it? Do you have a PO address?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a different insurance company.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ask an independent insurance agent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your rv insurance companies also cover cars? Check with them.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
High,
Do you have progeny or relative that you can rent mailbox space from? I know of several liveaboards (fulltime on a boat) that have been doing this for years. From '45 to '59 that is what my family did when we lived on a Ketch (sailboat).
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.