Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV registration in SD

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
Here I begin the debate.
We have been legal residents of SD while full timing.
We have now bought a home in AZ.
Can we continue to register our motorhome in South Dakota once we get new drivers' licenses in AZ?
Thanks.
Don and Eileen
25 REPLIES 25

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CKNSLS--I have no idea to what you are referring as I am not "trying" to get away with anything. My vehicles, drivers license, and insurance are all in compliance with the states where they are garaged and insured---I can not have more than one drivers license therefore it is at my primary residence....what I can afford has nothing to do with it and is none of your business really. You might try giving advice on something you actually know something about, like owning more than one home in more than one state.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You run the risk of the Three State Trap. We were always told in the Military to keep DL and Reg in the same state, otherwise it could cause an issue if stopped in a third state with DL and Reg in different States.
Now with everything computerized maybe different as it was in the Sixties.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Don and Eileen wrote:
I just chatted with someone from the DOR. She said we can maintain our RV registration in SD, but not every county will allow it. The research continues.

There's NO problem keeping your RV registered in SD !
Chat with Americas Mailbox - ask lots of questions.

However - the REAL problem you may/will have is *IF* your DL is not
from AZ - you best have your ducks in a row when you explain it
to an LEO (in AZ).

Like the Mod said - some/most states want their revenue! Some LEOs could care less - some LEOs care A *LOT*. The guy or gal behind the badge may or may not "buy into" your program! "Sign here, tell it to the judge next month, have a nice day - and drive carefully!"

Good luck with "the plan" !!

~

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I would check your states codes. I work for Coca Cola and all their trucks and trailers were registered in Illinois for many years then
one day they came with all new Calif. plates for all the vehicles. I think you have to be out of the state for a certain amount of time to do it.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Getting away with something? 2 of my vehicles have hardly ever left the state they call home the rest are all registered at my PRIMARY residence where I pay taxes, vote, and spend the required time there each year (June 1) and is where I have my drivers license as required. The other states where my vehicles are registered don't require me to change my drivers license because I never spend enough time there. These are facts---getting away with something! I had an international license for several years, suppose you can fault that also. Ever drive a rental car?

The reality is you are "trying to get away with something". If you can afford the purchases to begin with-pay the associated taxes!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Getting away with something? 2 of my vehicles have hardly ever left the state they call home the rest are all registered at my PRIMARY residence where I pay taxes, vote, and spend the required time there each year (June 1) and is where I have my drivers license as required. The other states where my vehicles are registered don't require me to change my drivers license because I never spend enough time there. These are facts---getting away with something! I had an international license for several years, suppose you can fault that also. Ever drive a rental car?

As mentioned, the devil is in the details. I already indicated depending on the states, there may be exceptions if the vehicles are not used in your state of residence/domicile.

Since the OP hasn't indicated they have multiple houses across multiple states, the logical assumption until he indicates otherwise is his MH spends most of it's time in AZ, so he is unlikely to be able to take advantage of the same loophole.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Ferndale, itโ€™s thanks to folks like you on here ( who are actually knowledgeable and practical, not just RV Karenโ€™s who think they know far more than they do) who contribute with meaningful information.
And this thread will end up like most, where the folks who are ignorant of the right answer just blabber something to try to make you think that they have a clueโ€ฆ.and I guess out of a need to be heard? Maybe it gives them a sense of accomplishment for the day even if theyโ€™re wrong, just to know they participated? Idk.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Those that donโ€™t have experience with multiple residences and โ€œthinkโ€ that everything must be registered in the state in which one claims residency (which can also differ from your โ€œtax homeโ€ under certain conditions) should maybe refrain from sharing their expertise.

However, one thing I have found is the cops donโ€™t really/always understand that either.
So makes no sense to go through great pains to be โ€œperfectโ€ as you may get a different determination if cited.
But a ticket is cheap and easy to refute. As long as your liability is covered, Aka insurance is ok with how/where you have it registered and insured, that is the much larger potential financial impact should you have a claim.

But I donโ€™t recall AZ being particularly expensive to register, tax implications etc and they have permanent trailer tags too I think ( if you have a trailer).
Curious what you think the financial impact is to tag it in AZ?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
The experts have spoken!...I have homes in 3 states and have at least 1 vehicle registered in each---But I only have one drivers license. A motor home just might be any where and all my vehicles are insured by the same company. It works for me.

Getting away with something and being legitmate are two different things.

You will still have a state of residence/domicile even in your scenario (your federal tax return address is a good hint but there are rules that define it)

Just because that state hasn't found out about you registering in the other states doesn't mean they can't nail you for it if they find out.
- Of course, if those other vehicles never enter your state of residence, there may be an exemption depending on the state.

Likewise, are you clear with your insurance company where they are stored and used? Again so long as you don't have a claim and they don't find out, they will continue to issue you a piece of paper that may be worthless if they do find out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest checking the AZ rules....a quick review of ARS 28 seems to indicate that dual registration might be allowed, but that AZ registration is required..but do your own research.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Community Alumni
Not applicable
IMO you would need to check the laws, rules and regulations for AZ to see if that can be done.

Do not know about SD as you can get different answers from the 4 of 5 counties that have mail forwarding.

I at one time had a house in Calif. and a vehicle registered in Calif. while at the same time being a resident of SD with a motor home and Jeep registered in SD and a SD drivers license.

Insurance was OK with it but I think I had to have an insurance agent that was registered to sell in both states.

Calif. DMV was OK with it and was mailing the notices and tags to SD.

Calif taxing authority was unhappy till I informed them that I had removed my homeowner exemption and was not in the state for more than 180 days (180 days is not what the law reads).

I know this does not answer your question but I just wanted to list some examples of what my experience was with two states.

JimR

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don and Eileen wrote:
Here I begin the debate.
We have been legal residents of SD while full timing.
We have now bought a home in AZ.
Can we continue to register our motorhome in South Dakota once we get new drivers' licenses in AZ?
Thanks.

My mail service went under in SD so I could not re up my DL without going to SD. I just renewed my WA DL but for three years now I still call SD, pay for my 4 tags they send to WA and all is well. We don't stay more than 6mo anywhere so we are G-G.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
When I lived close to the Ohio, West Virgina border many WV residents would register their vehicles in Ohio to avoid the WV personal property tax. When WV finally caught onto this there was a big push to identify these residents, and when found, a hefty fine was the result. Does AZ have a personal property tax you're trying to avoid? If so I would be very careful, but if another reason, why not.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL