cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Will my new truck tow it?"....YES, it will.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to not start a brand war here, but the stated tow capacity should ease anyone who has a towable.
How does 300,000# sound?

clicky

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lets wait and see when the actual specs come out.

Thanks for the edit, mod! I cant do live links for some reason.
14 REPLIES 14

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, this Tesla truck looks like it was pieced together with various junk yard parts; Dodge hood?

Thats some kids concept fantasy,has nothing to do with Tesla LOL

Ive heard that Tesla will reveal their truck in November this year.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Deb and Ed M wrote:
pnichols wrote:

The question will be - what will be the Tesla PU's range when hauling a typical 5'er over the Rocky Mountains without: 1) The rear truck bed being nearly taken up by the batteries, 2) the batteries taking a high power charging station several hours to recharge, and 3) a mere mortal not being able to afford to replace those batteries after say, fifteen years of truck ownership, if they otherwise love their Tesla PU and wish to keep it that long or longer.

Could it even haul a 5er? (How would the tow plate hook up?) Would towing a heavy load unweight the front end to the point of being unsafe? Where do the kayaks go? Front?? And yes, how are you going to charge the thing in your average campground? My bro-in-law has the Chevy Bolt, and it's cute and goes down the highway quite nicely - but he suffers "range anxiety" if he goes too far. Even stopping for lunch near a charging station only gains him an extra 5 miles or so....

I guess if you drive a truck because you simply like them and don't expect them to "work" - then this would be an option....

If your son has a bolt that can only charge 5 miles during a lunch break he should bring it in for warranty action. Assuming a standard 40 minute lunch and a standard DC fast charger he would have pretty much a full battery after 40 minutes. Get it into the shop. Something is up. A Tesla anything would take even less time, and if it was a V3 charger on a model 3 LR more like 20 minutes. The average charge break for a model 3 long range at a V3 charger is 15 minutes.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Musk added that the capabilities of the Tesla truck will be unmatched - sure they said the range will be 4 - 500 miles, but I'll bet under load, that will substantially decrease.

Lots of groceries will fit under that hood though.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
could we PLEASE get another forum specifically for electric vehicles???

1. This vehicle is not in production yet. It's like commenting on the 2022 Chevy/Ram/Ford 3501.

2. Once it is, we can comment on its towing - I'm sure it'll do fine but I will not be surprised if range is decreased just like a regular gas/diesel truck.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

The question will be - what will be the Tesla PU's range when hauling a typical 5'er over the Rocky Mountains without: 1) The rear truck bed being nearly taken up by the batteries, 2) the batteries taking a high power charging station several hours to recharge, and 3) a mere mortal not being able to afford to replace those batteries after say, fifteen years of truck ownership, if they otherwise love their Tesla PU and wish to keep it that long or longer.

Could it even haul a 5er? (How would the tow plate hook up?) Would towing a heavy load unweight the front end to the point of being unsafe? Where do the kayaks go? Front?? And yes, how are you going to charge the thing in your average campground? My bro-in-law has the Chevy Bolt, and it's cute and goes down the highway quite nicely - but he suffers "range anxiety" if he goes too far. Even stopping for lunch near a charging station only gains him an extra 5 miles or so....

I guess if you drive a truck because you simply like them and don't expect them to "work" - then this would be an option....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I had heard of but not seen that truck before. It's a truck only the manufacturer could love...YIKES...it's ugly IMO.

I do agree a decimal was misplaced in that 300k towing rating estimate.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, this Tesla truck looks like it was pieced together with various junk yard parts; Dodge hood?
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
You techies out there can verify that, per the "technical definition of work", no work is done while moving a weight along in a straight line at a constant speed other than overcoming the air resistance of whatever is carrying that weight and overcoming any rolling friction of whatever is carrying that weight.

Now .... moving 300,000 lbs. up a grade is a whole different issue. i.e Ever notice how slow a loaded freight train is moving up a grade?

I'm kindof pretty sure my RV's V10 could pull 300,000 lbs. along SLOWLY on the LEVEL too -> given the necessary overall gearing ratio to get that weight moving and keep that weight moving.

The ungeared drive shaft torque of an electric mortor can be insane short term at no, or slow, shaft rotation speed if ... it's power source can supply the amps without the power source destroying itself during that short term and if the motor doesn't burn itself up while carrying those amps for that short term.

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
The 300k weight maybe correct. Remember Toyota towing the Space Shuttle which was also around 300k? They arenโ€™t going for legality or speed, but marketing. Freight trains pull tons of cargo with electric motors, itโ€™s about time a truck dies the same.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Think positive, Jax! lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
CFerguson wrote:
How does 300,000# sound?

Like somebody slipped a decimal place, possibly two.

Interesting that their transport truck would only be rated to haul about a third of what their pickup would.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
...and immoral. lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like it would be illegal
Bill and Joey the dog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a company (Wil-Ro or Will-Ro) that used to make a line of Tow Vehicles called Trail Haulers..... Folks who have them NEVER ask "Can my rig tow this" because they already know.

What is a Trail Hauler
Peter built makes tractors in basically 2 sizes.. BIG for OVer the road long haul drivers and Small for local delivery drivers who go home to mamma (or pappa) at night and sleep in their own bed.

Equip the latter with an Electric brake controller and a RV size 5th wheel.
That's a Trail hauler.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times