Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jump Statt Battery Pack

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I wanted to use a LI Jump-Start Pack more as a battery power supply to power my in-car brake system, than as an engine starter.

My issue with the one I just bought is that the 12 VDC Power Port (cigarette lighter) output will not Turn ON and STAY hot unless the ON button is repeatedly pushed. It turns off after a few minutes.

The heavy battery cables will not become hot unless a small, residual, voltage is detected.

This (rather expennsive) unit won't light a bulb or spin a motor at all.

It seems to need to be able to sense some electrical power to enable the voltage outputs to energize.

Is this the way they ALL work?

Maybe I should just buy a LI battery and fabricate the needed charge & output cables.

Tim
18 REPLIES 18

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
I did run our BrakeBuddy with it for a day due to a skechy battery in the Jeep. Seemed to work fine. Gary

Gary,

Thanks for your answer. Please read my response above.

I think that I will just get a larger capacity LI battery and LI specific charger and make some cables. Then I'll fab a small toolbox size case to house it all.

I feel naked without a spare battery on hand.

Tim

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
If you are trying to power a brake system that lays dormant until you engage the brakes, then no, these packs won't work.

toedtoes,

Thank you so much for your informed answer. It seems that few people and none of my car buddies have any experience with, or knowledge of, these Jump-Packs.

Yes, what I quoted from you (above) is exactly what I wanted to do.

After playing with it a bit more, I can agree with what you have said.

I have a couple of options:

1) I already have a charge line from the RV to the towed car. While I have not tried it yet, that will probably keep the towed battery charged.

2) After chatting with a local LI battery supplier, I can buy a much larger LI battery and a LI specific charger MUCH cheaper than this Jump-Pack cost. I already have the materials, tools, and knowledge to fabricate all of the needed cables.

For over 50 years, until the last few years, I have always had an extra battery "on the shelf", just for emergencies.

I'll probably go with option 2

Thanks again,

Tim

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Tim, I took my jump pack apart and used the battery info to order a similar battery off of Amazon. With the new battery, I just wired an outlet to it and use that as a cheap Jackery to charge phones, run lights etc when our power is off. I did run our BrakeBuddy with it for a day due to a skechy battery in the Jeep. Seemed to work fine.
Gary

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, however, I have a multitude of theses packs and use them for various devices so I can tell you this:

You cannot attach the jumper cables to a 12v battery AND use the USB or 12v output ports at the same time.

When using the jumper cables, they are not meant to run continuously - they just provide a starting current and then stop.

When using the output ports (USB or 12v), the pack will stay running as long as the connected device is pulling power from it and there is a charge left in the pack. Once the device is turned off or otherwise stops pulling power, the pack will shut down automatically.

If you are trying to power a brake system that lays dormant until you engage the brakes, then no, these packs won't work. You would need a different type of pack that does not have an automatic shut off.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)