cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Phone Charger

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Will be doing some tent camping this season. Need a solar charger to charge phone and camera batteries.

I have a large battery pack to charge any time I have power, and use it at that time. Often don't have power, so need one small enough to charge phone and carry on the trails.

I'm not sure what kind of specs it needs. Fast charging would be best.

I have no clue about solar charging a phone, so advice appreciated.

Thx ... monkey44
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
3 REPLIES 3

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What is the longest time/days you will be camping? How many charges do you expect of phones and camera batteries? 30000mAh portable chargers are cheap. 1-4 of them for under $100 may be enough to not rely on solar for 4-5 days. I recommend that approach. If you want extended charging for 2+ weeks, then I recommend a deep cycle battery for about $100 and a 12v solar charger to top off the portable USB chargers while not in use.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
This kind of charging uses so little power you could get a small inverter and just plug your current charger into that 120V plug.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot of them out there. Some are battery pack/Solar chargers (I suggest that type) The one I have depending on the level of sunlight can hit 6-7 Volts possibly more.... One device I have seems to "object" to this much charge.

Another option is a small (like 12 AH) LiFePo4 and a charge controller with a 100 watt panel (I have that too) Rather expensive but when the lights went out in my apartment.. the big inverter/battery pack kept the fridge cold and the little inverter/battery kept the freezer frozen (I have a small "Danfoss class" chest freezer) was very nice being able to keep things... cold.

Or I could use my Solar panel to charge a battery pack and use it to charge the other device.. in fact I think I'll try that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times