cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a roof leak covered by warranty?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I just discovered that my 2022 Jayco travel trailer which I bought in February, 2023 has a roof leak. Would a roof leak be a covered warranty item or will they say that a leaking seal (if that's what it is) is a maintenance item?

Thanks, Stephen Gaines
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
15 REPLIES 15

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately water can leak and travel some distance before it actually exits the ceiling. The ac gasket would be my first guess for a leak. You may want to tighten the bolts a turn to make sure your ac hasn't loosened up. Don't tighten them much at a time.

Walmart has tarps that you can cover sections with.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Chum lee wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
I just discovered that my 2022 Jayco travel trailer which I bought in February, 2023 has a roof leak. Would a roof leak be a covered warranty item or will they say that a leaking seal (if that's what it is) is a maintenance item?

Thanks, Stephen Gaines

Your new RV came with a VERY SPECIFIC WRITTEN WARRANTY. What does it say regarding roof/water leaks? I suggest you "read it" before moving on.

Chum lee

That's a good suggestion. Another good suggestion is to ask people if they have had real life experience with this situation.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:

Thanks, Stephen Gaines

Your new RV came with a VERY SPECIFIC WRITTEN WARRANTY. What does it say regarding roof/water leaks? I suggest you "read it" before moving on.

Chum lee

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You canโ€™t do anything about it if you canโ€™t get on the roof.
But if youโ€™re not going to or not in the position to get it in under warranty and canโ€™t get on the roof then get a rv repairman or a neighbor whoโ€™s helpful and appears to know something about RVs to fix it.
None of us can help you unless weโ€™re camped next to you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
Please describe more. How do you know it is the roof leaking? Where do you see the water coming from? Earlier you had a shower leaking. Perhaps the two are related.
If it isn't caused by something you did like hooking the roof on a tree limb then yes it should be covered by warranty within the first few months of ownership.
Be sure to limit any damage by covering it and getting it to dealer asap.

bgum
Sorry for the slow response. I watched the water dripping from a seam in the ceiling. I'm pretty sure it's not related to the shower because it was raining hard outside and I had not used the shower in hours. It didn't leak a lot, enough that it got a towel wet, but I don't know what it's like on the other side of the ceiling and I don't want to rip it apart. I haven't traveled much and I'm not aware of any branches coming in contact with the roof. Based on the 3 parks I've stayed at there were no low hanging limbs. That could only happen if one fell and I didn't see one of the ground or on the roof. I think a bird has been hanging around the AC unit - I hear him chirping once in a while, then he leaves. I wonder if he could have pulled something loose that left a leak. As I'm afraid of heights I don't want to get up on the roof. It's the getting back down part that worries me the most. I agree with the other posters that a new roof should last for years without leaks. This looks like a poor quality job from Jayco, but I haven't seen where the water is actually getting in. You mention cover the leak until I get it serviced. How would you do that?

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I had my R-Vision Trail Cruiser for over 15 years and at least once a year for sheer fun and ease of application I applied Dicor liquid rubber roof and didn't cost much. Never leaked even in the first year or no leaks before application.

However, I do not see the need to brag about my good luck as some folks are just unlucky sometimes. R Vision was a great quality product for me. Cheers from Eldorado.

"To argue against success is to blow against the wind"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Please describe more. How do you know it is the roof leaking? Where do you see the water coming from? Earlier you had a shower leaking. Perhaps the two are related.
If it isn't caused by something you did like hooking the roof on a tree limb then yes it should be covered by warranty within the first few months of ownership.
Be sure to limit any damage by covering it and getting it to dealer asap.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Only 5 months old? Certainly a warranty issue.

Would you expect a 5 month old CAR to leak? Of course not.

Great point. Somehow we accept the idea that an RV might leak within a few months and certainly within a few years. Why is this acceptable. Shouldn't we expect an RV to be leak free indefinetly?

Hell, we've had our FW for 13 years and it has never leaked.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Great point. Somehow we accept the idea that an RV might leak within a few months and certainly within a few years. Why is this acceptable. Shouldn't we expect an RV to be leak free indefinetly?

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV maintenance info I have read, says check your roof seals once a year. You've only had the unit for 5 months. Don't let them tell you it is a maintenance issue. If they do, tell them they should have done the maintenance before you took delivery.

Good luck!

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Start with the dealer. If they won't fix it, contact your insurance company and submit a claim. Don't rely on what others tell you is going to happen because no one knows.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Its a 2023.... YOU purchased it NEW 5 months ago.... take it to the dealer and have them fixit... NO REASON they should deny that..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
They will say it's a maintenace issue to try and weasel out of paying.