cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on Cover for Winter Storage

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I need help deciding what to do. I have a 23'TT (27 with tongue and bumper). I live at 4,900 ft elevation in far western Colorado, which means the sun is more intense. It hardly snows or rains here, so those aren't much of a factor.

I've already bought a cover, but really hate to go to the trouble and risk of putting it on. My only helper is my wife, and we're both in our 70's, and I hate the thought of getting up on the roof to put it on then again to remove it in the spring.

Here's the reason I'm wondering if it's worth it. I bought the trailer new in January of '16, and except for one winter in my daughter's barn it's been exposed year round, mostly in Florida, for almost seven years.

After 2-3 years the fiberglass finish was completely oxidized. It looks kind of bad, but since it's gray and white it looks less bad than if it were a darker color.

So, is the finish going to suffer more if it's not covered for the next six months, or is it already as bad as it's going to get? Of course, come spring it'll be exposed again for six months, since we use it during the warmer seasons. Are there any other things I should consider in making a decision?

A side note: Of course, Jayco refused to even consider a warranty claim, even though there's no question in my mind that the finish was faulty somehow. I've seen other 2016 Jaycos with the same finish that had no issues.
9 REPLIES 9

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^Hey Dick...good on you for staying in shape, able to climb on roof as needed! I noticed you're an avid bicyclist, and able to support a huge rock formation with one hand.

We all need to get on the roof, to inspect caulking, and other things. It was mentioned to cover roof, as they are prone to leaking. Those potential leaks need to be inspected/repaired, not covered up.

In many areas, the Summer sun, is much more harmful than the Winter cold/snow.

Jerry

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
What is a cover? We have used a Sunshield-like tarp for as long as we have had the RV. It's much easier to handle than the kind that envelopes the entire rig. It covers the roof and parts of the sides, front and back.
I'm 84 and like a fool keep climbing up onto the roof to install it.
For lots of reading search this Forum for `RV cover'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that folding the cover properly makes it much easier. Lay it out flat and roll both front and back toward the middle. Looks sort of like a hot dog bun or pair of lips. Lay it across the center of the roof and unroll toward each end. A pole will help lift it over roof protrusions. I use a ladder to get the cover up on the roof but I can see that may not be a good idea as I age. I think you could rope a noose around one end of the bun, throw the free end of the rope over the trailer, then drag the cover up and across. Just an idea....:h

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Carport. You back it underneath and don't have to get on a ladder or a roof.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The answer is โ€œit dependsโ€.
Depends what itโ€™s worth.
Depends what itโ€™s worth to you.
Depends on your abilities.
Depends on how long you plan to keep it.
Depends whether you e maintained the roof or not.
Depends whether youโ€™re going to get rid of the oxidation now, later, or ever.

The value of covering it is of diminishing returns as the years go by. Personally if itโ€™s been getting baked in the sun for this long I feel the importance of covering it now is pretty small as compared to covering a camper that is not oxidized already.
Although preventing leaks is more important than appearance.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is 7 1/2 feet wide and I cover it alone from a ladder. The key is folding the cover on the ground for an easy role out on the roof
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well I,m for a cover. at least on the roof , rv roofs leak any thing to help preserve the roof I,d do. couple young guys in the area could put it on pretty quick.the pole way works good.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It seems the damage to the finish is already done, so if you can return the cover, that may be a consideration.

I've noticed many members are reluctant to climb on their RV roof, maybe thinking they are too old, or more likely disabled? I don't see age being a factor, but rather your physical capabilities, being the deciding factor.

I feel safer standing on my 12' 2" roof, than on top step of my 8' step ladder, but use both methods as needed.

Jerry

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in my eighties. I never go up on the roof. If you have 2 people and 2 long poles, you can work a cover up over your RV working together and use the same technique for removing it. I've even done it single handedly by going back and forth from side to side.