cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a new propane detector

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I found a propane detector which has the same dimensions of the Atwood, but the numbers are turned. In other words, the Atwood measures 3 1/2 inches tall by 2 1/2 in wide. The one I found measures 2 1/2 in tall by 3 1/2 in wide.
Can I do the install and not fear a failure?
11 REPLIES 11

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I have found the same problem. Our trailer is 7 years old.I tried to use the same numbers. On the one detector

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
thank you

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
donkeydew
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Gas-Detectors/RV-Safe/RS44FR.html

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG,

Thanks for the answer.

Bob

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
To answer your question, orientation will not affect the detector. It will work fine in either position.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
what brand/model did you use for future reference

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just replaced our detector last week. The new one came with 2 different adapter plates. The detector screws to the appropriate plate and covers just like the original.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have any carpentry skills you should be able to do as CorvetteKent did. I did the same type of modification when I installed new LED taillights on my Class C.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my trailer long enough the I just replaced the propane detector for the second time. The first time it was easy to get the same detector. the second time I could not get the same one. I had to get a horizontal detector, so I made a new wall plate to fill hole and mount the new detector.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought one that had the same model # as mine but the dimensions in the ad said it was way longer then my old one, but when it came it was the same. I think they have people measuring them that can't read a ruler.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your current detector should have a model number, that's what I'd go by. It is possible that the new one is a typo, showing the dimensions turned around? It may still work, but if figures are correct, it would not look right, installed sideways.

Jerry