cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a new propane detector

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
My propane detector went out on me. It was an Atwood 31013 propane detector, which is no longer made. All the others that I find, have different configuration, so don't fit. I was hoping someone knows of a replacement which will fit otherwise it is to the dealer and the cost would be ?.
14 REPLIES 14

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Please dont get the kidda one if you plan on battery power. Its a battery back up mostly and they drain the battery fast. So it will not last if you are not conected to shore power constantly. For your home get it, its a great detector.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
This is the one that I replaced my old one with. It mounts in the same hole in a cabinet near the floor and is hard wired into the trailer. It also comes in black and brown,
Barney

I think this is the one that my trailer came with as well. It failed in the first year we bought the trailer used so I replaced it with an identical unit, which failed within about 2 years. This reminds me that I need to replace it in the spring.

The strange thing is that I have never had one fail before this RV, and we owned our last RV for 10 years...:h
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is the one that I replaced my old one with. It mounts in the same hole in a cabinet near the floor and is hard wired into the trailer. It also comes in black and brown,
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did find one on Ebay but as I said before I would find out the MFG date before buying.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
This link may help
https://www.etrailer.com/question-522399.html

OP is not looking for the detector thats ceiling mount. He is looking for the replacement that is hard wired and floor level.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
All good ideas here now but there is one thing to remember is that they have about a 5 year life span.

My first one was a bit over 5 years old when it failed,I purchased my RV in 2010 at the time it was 5 years old MFG on May 2005

Click For Full-Size Image. I bought one on line and the MFG date was more than a year old,I returned it.I then went to Camping World where I could look at the MFG date.That one was only 2 months old, it failed 5 years and 2 months later.

My new Safe-T-Alert has the MFG Date stamped on the back side just as the one that I replaced that was a bit over 5 years old according to the MFG date that was stamped on the backside of the old unit.Here is the new one.

I purchased this one in March 2020.

So I would always look for the MFG date before buying and installing.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
JimR1 Perfect idea. I build many items using wood so I guess I would do our idea using thin wood chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Mine went out and yes the replacement was a different size, smaller.

The guy that did the install made a bezel that fit over the hole the old one came from and cut a new hole for the new detector in the bezel.

He used the black heavy plastic like in a compartment and it blends in very well.

JimR

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The KN-COEG-3 includes 9-Volt battery back up that provides protection during a power outage,

So it has a battery. But I agree these which run off 12V would be better:
12V Pronane/CO detectors
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with the Kiddo product is that it works on A/C. All the propane detectors for rv's are battery powered.
Amazon has lots of them, but I did not notice any which were in size equal to the Atwood 31013.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd look at Amazon and save some money:
Kiddo propane and carbon monoxide detector with digital display
$60 and over 5000 4 and a half star reviews. They have many others if you don't like that one. I need to replace ours so thanks for the reminder
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that someone had a detector which whicch could put in and that would be all there is. I guess not.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you see this one from etrailer

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker