cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hub grease seal.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep blew one, actually believe it was defective from factory. As the complete axle was replaced and it never seemed to take grease. Well. they found it when they took it off. So, now I have not only a new seal, but a new backing plate as well.
Ye ha!

and no I couldn't do it my self. I don't have the tools.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
25 REPLIES 25

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The original owner of my boat and boat trailer simply used the EZ lube system instead of repacking the bearings. When I took it apart last year to repack the bearings I found a very brown inner bearing on one side that I had to replace and a TON of old grease throughout the entire hub on each side. What a mess!!! I'll stick with repacking them manually thanks.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 my DRW was delivered to me with 4,000 miles on it or so. I towed til the next summer then back to MORryde, that added another 4k or so. Later that fall with at least another 4k I raised up the RV and checked the bearing play doing the push/pull on the user edge of the tires. The play was well within spec. So I had a friend spin one tire at a time while I pumped the grease into the EZ Lube ZERK as fast as I could stopping to wipe the old grease off as it came out. I stopped once the fresh grease started coming out.

I did the above because I didn't trust the grease or how well it was greased.

Until a person actually uses the system they really don't know.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Find a friend or someone reputable to repack your bearings. A quality job with quality grease will last you many years. I also have the EZ lube bearing but don't want to chance blowing grease past the inner seal and I find no reason to fill the entire hub with grease. repack and be done with it.

I agree nothing replaces hand packing bearings , EZ lube is asking for problems .
Bosh. Although I've used the EZ Lube grease zerk in the past, I've come to believe that it isn't really necessary. Once the grease is in the wheel bearings and behind the seals, it isn't going anywhere, so there's no real need to add new grease. In all the years I've been driving, over 56 years, I've never disassembled a wheel bearing, on any vehicle, simply to regrease it. I might use the EZ Lube zerk after a few years to put in some fresh grease, just depends on how I feel about it at the time.

I pulled wheels apart last year to check brake pads, and wheel bearings and grease were just fine. But after looking at the nicks and dings near the seal surfaces, I'm surprised more don't leak grease directly from the factory. It looked like they stood back about 3 feet and threw the pieces on, and called it good. This is on a 10 year old toyhauler with around 25,000 miles.

IMO annual repacking of wheel bearings is a waste of time and resources. Maybe every 3-5 years if a person were really anal about stuff like this.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Find a friend or someone reputable to repack your bearings. A quality job with quality grease will last you many years. I also have the EZ lube bearing but don't want to chance blowing grease past the inner seal and I find no reason to fill the entire hub with grease. repack and be done with it.

I agree nothing replaces hand packing bearings , EZ lube is asking for problems .

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:

they packed the bearings while they had it apart.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
EZ lube with disk brakes is a great system. BUT I went to another level with changing mine to oil bath with US Made National Oil bath Seals. Nice system but you need to use QUALITY parts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
When you say it didnโ€™t take grease, I think you may have been using the grease fitting, that is a good way to blow the seal. I never use that useless thing.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with using the EZ Lube system. Use quality synthetic grease in a REGULAR grease gun, rotate tire while pumping while wiping off used grease as it comes out. Stop pumping and wipe off excess when fresh grease appears.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
When you say it didnโ€™t take grease, I think you may have been using the grease fitting, that is a good way to blow the seal. I never use that useless thing.

wrogers
Explorer
Explorer
Or it could have been a "brand name" Chinese seal.:R

Brand names source out of China too.
2021 F450 4WD
2019 Heritage Glen 356 QB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Problem is they most likely used no name Chinese made seals!