cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window Problems

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two problems with one of my windows. The window is the type that slides upward by releasing the catches at the top of the pane and pulling up on the lip (frame). First problem is that the lip (metal frame) is no longer attached to the glass, and pulling up just separates the frame from the glass. The frame has a u-shaped channel that the glass slips into, and there is a thin length of rubber that wraps over the top of the glass and then the u-channel slips over the rubber and the glass edge.

It doesn't look like any adhesive was used to attach the metal lip to the glass edge. (Maybe that's the cause of the problem.) Has anyone dealt with this problem before? Any suggestions as to what type of adhesive to use? I'm thinking I need to glue the rubber to the glass, and the metal to the rubber.

The second problem with the same window is that the bottom wiper-type seal has shrunken, resulting in a gap between the seal and the glass.

Here is a photo of the seal:

I want to replace the seal. Has anyone done this before? Is it difficult? Any tips?

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
7 REPLIES 7

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
CarnationSailor wrote:
I have two problems with one of my windows. The window is the type that slides upward by releasing the catches at the top of the pane and pulling up on the lip (frame).

First problem is that the lip (metal frame) is no longer attached to the glass, and pulling up just separates the frame from the glass. The frame has a u-shaped channel that the glass slips into, and there is a thin length of rubber that wraps over the top of the glass and then the u-channel slips over the rubber and the glass edge.

It doesn't look like any adhesive was used to attach the metal lip to the glass edge. (Maybe that's the cause of the problem.) Has anyone dealt with this problem before? Any suggestions as to what type of adhesive to use? I'm thinking I need to glue the rubber to the glass, and the metal to the rubber.

The second problem with the same window is that the bottom wiper-type seal has shrunken, resulting in a gap between the seal and the glass.

Here is a photo of the seal:

I want to replace the seal. Has anyone done this before? Is it difficult? Any tips?

Would you happen to know the brand of window you have? And ideally, the series number? Krino and Hehr (now both owned by Lippert) were common brands among the older campers.

Also, what year is your camper?

From the word description and the picture you posted, it is hard to understand the brand window you have. I have not yet seen an RV window like what you are describing where the glass is not bonded to the metal frame.

The Krino and Hehr windows I have worked with seal (bonded) the glass to the metal frame. That seal creates the water seal of the glass to the frame. Then, there is a glazing bead of vinyl that inserts into a channel to keep dirt, etc, out of the frame channel. Felt often fills the gaps between the sliding metal frame on the lower section to the outer frame mounted in the wall.

See these pics of a single-hung vertical slider window. Does yours look anything like this? Posting some pics of how the glass is mounted may help someone identify yours.

The window out of the camper during a restoration.

The upper frame fixed pane vinyl glazing bead

The lower sliding pane vinyl

It looks like this when installed in the camper

I have used a product called "Parrbond" to seal up gaps in the glass to metal frame seal. This stuff https://www.amazon.com/RV-Motorhome-Joint-Crack-Repair/dp/B007HRX62S. You can shop for a better price, just freight can be as much as the tube of sealant.

It will bond to glass and metal. Also, certain plastics and other materials. It is used to seal water-leaking gaps, not to bond the glass originally to the metal frame around the entire perimeter. It may work for that, but I have no experience using it that way.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look for rivets in the upper two corners of the frame that attach the upper frame to the two side pieces. All four sides of the frame should be attached to each other, either welded, rivets, etc.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, this seems to be a first for this forum. It seems no one has had a problem like this before as I have received no responses. Maybe someone will respond this time around.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:

What does "..." mean?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
Other photo
photo

Thanks for the help with the image link, but can someone show me how to change what I have in my original post so that the photos will appear there?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II