cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tow a 2017 Buick Enclave AWD

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking into buying a 2017 Buick Enclave, I want to tow it with my motorhome. Right now I tow a Jeep Wrangler and it works great. My wife has hip issues so It's not easy for her to get into the Jeep. The Buick can be flat towed but there is more weight and have to leave the key in the accessory posistion so the steering wheel is unlocked.. Does anyone tow a Buick Enclave and have they had any issues?

Thank you in advance for any information.
Happy Camping, Bye Dennis
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
Good Sam Life Time Members
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4
13 REPLIES 13

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to thank everyone for the information. I feel a lot better about towing the Enclave. We have towed it from Wisconsin to Lake Park GA. with out an issue. I start it in the morning and then when we stop for over a 1/2 hour. I start it after a day of towing.

Thank you again, Happy Camping. Bye Dennis

Hello Bus Nuts and Pioneers. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2017 Enclave with no issues. Two of the fuses are in the battery compartment under the pass seat - wired a switch in line for each of them. For the 50 amp fuse underhood, I got a Tall 50 amp fuse and replaced the stock one. That way I can just pop off the cover for the fuses and pop out the tall 50 amp fuse.
Works fine for me and car tows like a dream. We don't generally go long distances so I just run it before I hook up to go and run it when I unhook at the campground.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from tech issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Teebucket1313 wrote:
When flat towing a 2017 Buick Enclave it said to start the vehicle every time you get fuel. What about short rest stop breaks?
Thanks for any input.
Happy Camping, bye Dennis

I start it before I get ready to leave in the morning, and when we stop at night then start it again. So far never have started it when we stop for fuel. That is with my 2015 Cadillac SRX.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
When flat towing a 2017 Buick Enclave it said to start the vehicle every time you get fuel. What about short rest stop breaks?
Thanks for any input.
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Buick and didn't care to jump through the hoops needed to make towable, so bought the Cadillac SRX, nothing to do except push a small tab under the shift boot. Put it in neutral and tow. No battery cut outs, no fuses to find and pull.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2012 Buick Enclave without any problems. I had a battery disconnect switch wired under the hood. One switch kills all power. No miles are added to the odometer as it is towed. I was told not to purchase a new Enclave with the auto-brake option. Auto-brake makes it difficult to integrate a towed braking system.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information. That will make things a lot easier.
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Making the "kit" is really not a big deal. Just wire in a switch with an in-line fuse of the same size for each of the ones that need to be pulled. The Enclave is the same as the GMC Acadia and the Chevy Traverse (I think), so there may be "kits" on the market.

Here is an example of a single unit. The one for the 50amp would have to be much more robust, of course, and may have to be made. Research a little bit.

KIT
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I did check the manual and it can be dinghy towed four down. You have to run it for 5 mins. then you remove three fuses. 15 amp for On Star, 15 amp for ECM and a 50 amp for the battery. I'm stopping at the local RV dealer who setup my Jeep and see if they have run into any issues. If they make a kit to by pass the fuses.
Thank you for the information.
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the owner's manual first thing. There are vehicles that can be flat-towed one year, and the next year, they would be fricasseed if one did that. The Honda Fit, for example, because it went from a regular transmission to a CVT in 2015.

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. Do they make a kit to by pass the fuses? I know on some vehicles you can install a switch to turn off the power going to that system. Thats sounds like a lot of screwing around to get the vehicle ready for dinghy towing. The Jeep is too easy. I may have to re-think this. The wife sure does like the Buick

Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to remove 3 fuses to pull it 4 down.
And has other things that must be done.
2017 Dingy towing
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am