cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMC Arcadia, Chevy Traverse & Buick Enclave for TOAD?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been out car shopping trying to find a toad that fits my needs best. I really like these SUV's they have the 3rd row seating we have 5 grand kids and this would allow us to take them all if we want to do that. We do not have a car at this time that can accomplish that.

Anyone on here towing one of the models I listed? I am 6'5" and found these models to have nice room for me I also liked the room in the back with the 3rd row seat folded down, we travel with our dogs and one is a big guy so that space was great.

I will be buying something in the spring used so I have just been doing research for now.

Mike
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
19 REPLIES 19

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I would seriously study Consumer Reports latest on predicted reliability. I think the vehicles you mentioned are in the top 10 worst for reliability.

As previously stated, be absolutely certain the vehicle you choose can be flat towed and base plates, etc., are available.

gunsy
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Since you're looking used you have some options, after 2018 those models are not four down friendly.

If you don't have it bookmarked already hit up remcotowing.com

Here is what it returned on the 2018's

2018 Chevrolet Traverse ALL AWD V6 3.6L cyl 9-Speed Automatic 9T65
Notes: Must be towed using a trailer

2018 Buick Enclave ALL AWD V6 3.6L cyl 9-Speed Automatic 9T65

The remco reference must not be comprehensive. According to the owners manual, the 2018 Acadia (but only specifically the 3.6L V6 Engine) can still be towed 4-down in the same way I tow mine. See page 355 of the owners manual.

https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2018/GMC/Acadia/2018-gmc-acadia-owners-manual.pdf

Y-Guy
Since you're looking used you have some options, after 2018 those models are not four down friendly.

If you don't have it bookmarked already hit up remcotowing.com

Here is what it returned on the 2018's

2018 Chevrolet Traverse ALL AWD V6 3.6L cyl 9-Speed Automatic 9T65

2018 Buick Enclave ALL AWD V6 3.6L cyl 9-Speed Automatic 9T65

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

gunsy
Explorer
Explorer
We have been towing 2016 Acadia for the past couple years. The best and easiest toad we have had. Much easier than the jeep wrangler. With the Acadia it is made to tow so to engage it to neutral there is a small button hidden in the gearshift boot and all you do is press that with a screwdriver, put it in neutral and you are good to go. Don't need to disconnect battery or anything like that.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
2015 buick enclave.we have had no problem with it,just add a charge line and you only have to pull the battery fuse.

Can I ask why the charge line? What is drawing on the battery of the toad during towing?

Thanks Mike

1SG
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the current models but we have been towing a 2015 GMC Acadia AWD Denali for 3 years now without an issue. I don't run a "charge" line to the car but I do pull the 50 amp fuse in the fuse box and the 2 15 amp fuses in the battery compartment. Simple procedure.
Paul & Sandy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
I've found going to carcomplaints.com is a good site to investigate issues with vehicles you may be interested in purchasing. It seems really informative as to problems with any vehicle you may be considering. JMHO
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
2015 buick enclave.we have had no problem with it,just add a charge line and you only have to pull the battery fuse.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
Gundog wrote:
Interesting on the issues I asked my brother-in-law about them and thought they were good cars he said he has not seen many issues with them. My Brother-in-law owns an auto repair shop in Idaho. I asked him about the Jeep Liberty and he told me they had some issues to stay away from those. He has been in the industry for many years and is a good mechanic and garage owner (he has about 6 or 7 mechanics working for him) he has a very good reputation in his community and I respect his opinion.

Any car can have issues I don't plan to buy new but I will be looking for something with low miles and a clean title. I will do some more research on these models I knew they were the same vehicle that is why I listed all three.

I have owned Ford vehicles in the past and prefer GM products even though my pickup is a Dodge and car is a Mazda. I have owned more GM brand cars than anything else in the past.

The GMC Acadia Denali that was repurchased was removed from our state which would have required a title brand and taken to a state where no title brand was required and sold at auction as a "late model" used car. The dealer that purchased it advertised it in yet another state and it was sold as a late model used car with no disclosure of the serious water damage and major electrical issues. It had a clean Carfax at the time of sale. I have had serious major issues with 3 GM vehicles (2006 GMC Yukon Denali, 2015 Chevrolet Suburban, 2015 GMC Acadia Denali) and have been purchasing them for many years. I just got tired of the constant repairs and problems. While I agree that any vehicle can have problems and we even considered the new Acadia Denali because we get GM Supplier pricing and special non-public discounts we just couldn't bring ourselves to give them any more money. Frankly, I expected to have the same problems with the Ford Explorer that we had with the GM vehicles (We also own a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL) but were pleasantly surprised that we had very few problems. We have owned a lot of GM vehicles over the years. We were limited in our choices because we wanted a vehicle that could be flat towed behind our motorhome and had 3 rows for the whole family. Ultimately, the additional space in the rear of the Explorer won out (the Explorer is three wide in the third row and the Acadia is only two).

Good info thanks. I bought a new 97 Ford F250 with the Power Stroke diesel. It needed a transmission at 10,000 miles and they installed a rebuilt transmission. The fuel gauge never read correctly they changed the sending unit wire harness and gauges nothing fixed it. The truck qualified for the lemon law but replacing it was going to cost me huge so I kept it until I was hit head on and it was totaled. That was it for me no more Fords. Luckily I lived across the street from the dealership that kept fixing it.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
Interesting on the issues I asked my brother-in-law about them and thought they were good cars he said he has not seen many issues with them. My Brother-in-law owns an auto repair shop in Idaho. I asked him about the Jeep Liberty and he told me they had some issues to stay away from those. He has been in the industry for many years and is a good mechanic and garage owner (he has about 6 or 7 mechanics working for him) he has a very good reputation in his community and I respect his opinion.

Any car can have issues I don't plan to buy new but I will be looking for something with low miles and a clean title. I will do some more research on these models I knew they were the same vehicle that is why I listed all three.

I have owned Ford vehicles in the past and prefer GM products even though my pickup is a Dodge and car is a Mazda. I have owned more GM brand cars than anything else in the past.

The GMC Acadia Denali that was repurchased was removed from our state which would have required a title brand and taken to a state where no title brand was required and sold at auction as a "late model" used car. The dealer that purchased it advertised it in yet another state and it was sold as a late model used car with no disclosure of the serious water damage and major electrical issues. It had a clean Carfax at the time of sale. I have had serious major issues with 3 GM vehicles (2006 GMC Yukon Denali, 2015 Chevrolet Suburban, 2015 GMC Acadia Denali) and have been purchasing them for many years. I just got tired of the constant repairs and problems. While I agree that any vehicle can have problems and we even considered the new Acadia Denali because we get GM Supplier pricing and special non-public discounts we just couldn't bring ourselves to give them any more money. Frankly, I expected to have the same problems with the Ford Explorer that we had with the GM vehicles (We also own a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL) but were pleasantly surprised that we had very few problems. We have owned a lot of GM vehicles over the years. We were limited in our choices because we wanted a vehicle that could be flat towed behind our motorhome and had 3 rows for the whole family. Ultimately, the additional space in the rear of the Explorer won out (the Explorer is three wide in the third row and the Acadia is only two).
FMCA member

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The Traverse, and I assume the other cars, can only be towed on a dolly. The current Traverse is not designed to be towed 4-down. This info is from the 2018 owner's manual.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a 2011 Traverse for several years with no problems at all. The Traverse actually tows better than my Jeep and it 20% heavier. Ours is the 2 wheel drive, the AWD isn't 4 down towable.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

wthibeaux
Explorer
Explorer
The 2018 Traverse is actually larger than the Acadia or Enclave.
Warren & Peggy
Four cats "Albert, Noble, Peaches, Lil Bit" all neutered.

2010 Chev Suburban 5.3L 3.42-2005 Chev 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L 3.73
95 Mobile Scout 25FS travel trailer
5 grandchildren

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting on the issues I asked my brother in-law about them and thought they were good cars he said he has not seen many issues with them. My Brother in-law owns a auto repair shop in Idaho. I asked him about the Jeep Liberty and he told me they had some issues to stay away from those. He has been in the industry for many years and is a good mechanic and garage owner (he has about 6 or 7 mechanics working for him) he has a very good reputation in his community and I respect his opinion.