cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning the solar panels

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I have solar panels on the roof of my trailer which is 13ft 5in tall.My wife does not want me on the roof anymore. How can I keep the panels clean because it gets dirty quite quickly?
13 REPLIES 13

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Rain seems to help mine a lot, I don't do ladders or roof!
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
Look into a RV wash guy that would come to the RV park or even to your home and just do the roof for you every so often. If the cost is too high for a complete RV wash perhaps they'll just do the roof for you and then you do the wash but you'll have dirt running down the sides if you don't tackle the sides as soon as he leaves.

The panels do need cleaning every so often. Rain doesn't do it.

I think being on a ladder or any other platform/device and trying to reach the panels would be more dangerous than just getting up there. If your panels can be reached just by climbing your RV ladder and walking down the center of the RV it's safe as long as you don't have to walk along the edge.

At some point one needs to get on the roof to check all the caulking and roof surface to maintain your RV in good condition.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling you can pull into a truck diesel pump station. Many times they have little, err, big step platforms, about 4 steps high or 3 feet, that you easily walk up and gain height to reach the top. They also have squeegies on long sticks so you can reach all the way across your roof.
Not all truck stops, but some.
Keep in mind you will be getting in the way of commercial truckers, so look for low traffic times.
Sometimes the regular gas stations will have diesel pumps around back and have these long sticks too, but not always steps.

ANother solution is those telescoping ladders if you are allowed on a ladder. You can reach the roof without getting on the roof. A long squeegie stick will be needed if panels are further center.
Rain will get some, but always leaves a dirty film.
When you are up there wipe on some "Rain-X" or other similar windshield treatment to prolong the ability for rain to clean it, keeps stuff from sticking to the glass...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pitch wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
I'd also like a home solution and step ladders are not it. My son who is a fire fighter knows a lot about safety is more than willing but doesn't live close. I know of one DIY wash that has a set of steel stairs on one side to gain elevation.

A truck wash that cleans the roof is a option. I would not hire a kid period, safety, libiality, etc.

Wow. are you serious? Seems to me that any high school kid is capable of climbing a 12foot ladder with a long handled brush.
Stand there and supervise. Spot for him if you feel it is needed.
I don't know where all you law suit frightened folks live, but I find being sued just about below the bottom of my list of fears.
People in my area are more than happy to help a neighbor, and in fact the guy three houses down will send his kids to help me with chores.
Who do you think is responsible if a minor gets hurt working on your RV? If something should occur what do you thing some parents would consider? Sure, they can climb a ladder but they generally have no safety training or related concerns which generally comes with age and wisdom. And falls vs other injuries can be much more serious.

I have no problem with car washing and many other chores.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
give them the treats, and ask them to do a favor for me. It always works.
Good plan. Money works too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
My standard course of action is to pick up a package of bakery cookies, or a pie, or brownies, or whatever, then look for an appropriate neighbor in the campground near me (athletic-looking 20-40 year old), introduce myself, give them the treats, and ask them to do a favor for me. It always works.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I'd also like a home solution and step ladders are not it. My son who is a fire fighter knows a lot about safety is more than willing but doesn't live close. I know of one DIY wash that has a set of steel stairs on one side to gain elevation.

A truck wash that cleans the roof is a option. I would not hire a kid period, safety, libiality, etc.

Wow. are you serious? Seems to me that any high school kid is capable of climbing a 12foot ladder with a long handled brush.
Stand there and supervise. Spot for him if you feel it is needed.
I don't know where all you law suit frightened folks live, but I find being sued just about below the bottom of my list of fears.
People in my area are more than happy to help a neighbor, and in fact the guy three houses down will send his kids to help me with chores.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hire a neighbor kid. $20 is all it takes. That's my plan when I decide not to climb on my house roof any longer. Before I mover to NoCal, I would tell my grandson to jump up on the roof and clean my panels.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of these and a step ladder.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe use a stepladder (or even scaffolding) and a car wash brush with a long handle, something like this (just an example of the general kind of product)?

I have a brush somewhat like that for general washing of my RV. It sure is a lot easier than a sponge or rag in the hand and a ladder for washing the sidewalls!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That's a tough one. Get your wife to do it (LOL!), or find some kid. I've found rain is what makes them dirty.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dedmiston
Does it rain much where you live? The rain should take care of it.

If not, so you have a truck wash near you?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230