cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

38 gallon honey wagon?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
We will be camping somewhere for a week that has water and hydro hook up. Unfortunately, they do not sewer hook ups, but they do have a dumping station. My largest tank is the black water, and it is 38 gal. Anyone know of a supplier that ships to Canada for a honey wagon that large? I really don't want to mess with half empty tanks.
32 REPLIES 32

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I can agree once you figure out your tank capacities and your needs you learn when you will need the tote. I have learned how to equalize my tanks and let the black tank fill with some grey water.
This back filling technique ultimately gives me more grey tank capacity and allows me to leave the tote at home.
I don't use my tote as much as I used to simply because I have learned more about my needs and my tank capacity.
However if I'm at a non sewer site for more than 6 days, I will bring the tote.
I generally never take quick showers or attempt to curtail my water use.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have learned for our long weekend trips we can manage without the tote. If we get FHU site then the long weekend gets longer. Since 2018 I have had to use the tote on 3 trips. One of the 3 was right right when COVID was starting up and we stayed away from the public bathrooms. We go on a longer trip every other Thanksgiving and on that trip have to dump each tank 1 time.

FOr non FHU sites I always took it. We have now figured out what our usage for the long weekend trips and will no longer take it. Yeah, it is a pain dealing with it and not worth it when we didn't need it.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Many years ago I bought a 15 gallon tote thinking it would be great to have. Then, I realized that our camping at the time always meant we were at an RV park with full hookups or at a Federal or State campground where there was no dump station. So, the tote stayed under a work bench in the shop gathering dust for several years until I sold it in a garage sale for $15.
These days, as a "Senior Citizen" (80+) all of our travel in the RV is almost always to full hookup RV parks, except for two Ham Radio trips per year. For those, I can dump on the way home.
My point being, before investing in one of those things, give due consideration to the logistics of it. Will you actually have a use for it? Some folks do, but I sure didn't!

Most of our camping is at places that do not have full hook ups, but we are only there for a weekend, which is not so bad. However, we are planning to do longer trips, and with this RV, I'd rather be ready for those trips.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
I have the Barker 42 gallon tote tank being discussed here. We bring it whenever we know we will be camping without a sewer hookup, which is usually 1 or 2 trips a year.

It will work perfectly for what you want to do. Main downside to it is, like already said, finding a place to store it when on the road, and when not using it.

I wrap ours in a large black trash bag and put it in the back of the Jeep we tow. It fits, but barely. Still trying to find a better way to store it. One day we may try mounting it to the rear ladder like was shown on here a few posts ago, just not sure if I can bring myself to trust the ladder for carrying something like that when on the road.

My TV is a full size truck, so worse case, into the back of the truck it can go.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the tote for five years with my pop-up. Tote was the holding tank. My black is only 24 gal in the trailer and it will go 7-10 days with the three of us using the camp facilities when convenient. I would sooner move the entire trailer to the dump vs haul the tote around and make periodic trips to empty it. Very happy to let the tote go when the pop-up was sold.

If the tote works for you then great. Not for me.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I bought a 15 gallon tote thinking it would be great to have. Then, I realized that our camping at the time always meant we were at an RV park with full hookups or at a Federal or State campground where there was no dump station. So, the tote stayed under a work bench in the shop gathering dust for several years until I sold it in a garage sale for $15.
These days, as a "Senior Citizen" (80+) all of our travel in the RV is almost always to full hookup RV parks, except for two Ham Radio trips per year. For those, I can dump on the way home.
My point being, before investing in one of those things, give due consideration to the logistics of it. Will you actually have a use for it? Some folks do, but I sure didn't!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Barker 42 gallon tote tank being discussed here. We bring it whenever we know we will be camping without a sewer hookup, which is usually 1 or 2 trips a year.

It will work perfectly for what you want to do. Main downside to it is, like already said, finding a place to store it when on the road, and when not using it.

I wrap ours in a large black trash bag and put it in the back of the Jeep we tow. It fits, but barely. Still trying to find a better way to store it. One day we may try mounting it to the rear ladder like was shown on here a few posts ago, just not sure if I can bring myself to trust the ladder for carrying something like that when on the road.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silly question.
If it is hard to find/carry/store a tank large enough to hold the whole capacity of black tank, why not get a smaller tank, dump when on-board is half full?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Following this conversation as we stay in a lot of state parks. Question - where do you put the tote when not using it? In a bin?

Here's where carry our 27 gallon tote. It's hard to see, but I use a small block and tackle to raise and lower the tank from the supports.

That is very common. I have a toy hauler, so that may complicate things.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Conserve water and skip the tote. Is there a shower house and restroom? Use it when you can.

Well that may be an option albeit wholly opposite of the OPs apparent intention to use his camper for those โ€œduties.โ€

swimmer, another option if youโ€™re not planning on regular use, see if thereโ€™s a local turd burglar that services the campground. Might be cheaper and hitting the easy button to just have it pumped out mid week.

Reality is, this will become a more common issue the more we camp. We bought this new RV to camp more. We do not usually stay at places that have full hook ups. Many only have electricity on site. I can transfer water no issue. It is the grey and black water that becomes an issue.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Following this conversation as we stay in a lot of state parks. Question - where do you put the tote when not using it? In a bin?

While set up, it would just stay near the outlet, maybe even under the RV if there will be room.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
I think that you need to look at this another way. You did not say how many people will be staying in your RV for one week, so I will use my 5th wheel as an example. I have a 45 gallon black tank and it takes two of us 20 days to fill it. That's 1.125 gallons per person per day. So, after one week of camping, we would only have 15.75 gallons in our black tank.

After a w0eekend of regular usage, our tanks get about 1/4-1/2 full. Our largest tank is 38 gallons. So, I want to be able to dump it as needed and not have to not use the facilities we have.

Having a tote allows us to use water more freely, and avoid the โ€œyouโ€™re using too much waterโ€ conversations.

Now back to tote size. Yes you can pull the tote with your truck once you get it to the truck. Iโ€™ve found even my smaller 25 gallon tote a bear to pull on uneven ground that I find at many CGโ€™s especially state parks. If I need to Iโ€™ll make a couple of trips, but most of our stays using it once will provide enough room in the black tank to finish the stay. Gray may need multiple if I chose not to use the CG facilities for shower, or the lake.

I have an atv, and getting the truck or atv to where the dump valves on the RV is won't be the issue. My issues is that I want to ensure that once I dump the tank, it is empty. For the black, I want to know that once it is dumped, that the flush will get as much out as possible.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

Here's where carry our 27 gallon tote. It's hard to see, but I use a small block and tackle to raise and lower the tank from the supports.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:

In my case when not using it at home, it goes in a storage building, and only comes out when we go to a site with no sewer. I place it in the only bin I have big enough.

While at a cg, I pull it from a storage bin before deploying the slide above, and store it under the RV close to the dump valve.

I have seen a lot of rvโ€™s going down the road with the tote sitting on a ladder rack and bungeed to the ladder.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT