cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This is how I will transport my Honey Wagon

lclevel
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another PVC Pipe project I recently completed.

1" PVC pipe was used to fabricate the support that will carry the big blue Tote. A small pulley was placed at the top of the ladder to lift and help support the Tote. It's not shown in the picture, but I will also be using a ratchet strap to bind the Tote to the ladder.
Because the pipe spans are so short, the support is more than strong enough to support the Tote.

33 REPLIES 33

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wopachop wrote:
Im a big fan of making things work. Dont really care how they look. There isnt a large open space under the trailer? I could stash 10 of those totes under my TH.

Got to think adding a second black and/or gray tank is not very common? For 10 years i thought about buying a beater piece of junk trailer and then adding huge holding tanks for dirt camping.

You could find a way to carry the tote beneath the trailer. However you then have to crawl under each time to store and retrieve the trailer.
Crawling beneath the trailer is a young man's game.
Once you get old and wise you learn to find a better/easier way.
One of the keys to life is not to work hard but to work smart!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Im a big fan of making things work. Dont really care how they look. There isnt a large open space under the trailer? I could stash 10 of those totes under my TH.

Got to think adding a second black and/or gray tank is not very common? For 10 years i thought about buying a beater piece of junk trailer and then adding huge holding tanks for dirt camping.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
great idea, I wish I had a ladder!!
an alternative material for those who travel in cold weather would be copper water pipe, more costly for sure but 3/4 pipe and fittings are available and soldering those fittings and pipe is easy
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
lclevel wrote:
For the esthetics police, the picture below shows the PVC pipe is now painted black and a black cover has been added. Hopefully no one will be offended now. Geez!

Click For Full-Size Image.

Iclevel
Thank you for posting the close up photo's they look great. And yes you're exactly right there are quit a few of the sanctimonious crowd around here.
Thanks fo posting the close ups.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Don't sweat it. I use to get the same Beverly Hillbillies comment about my tote being on the rear.
Truthfully the look did not bother me one bit.
In the RV world sometimes you have to go with function over style

I must have missed it because in 3 pages of discussion I didn't note anyone mention the "Beverly Hillbillies". :R What I did say - "the OP has a really sharp looking trailer but hanging a brightly coloured blue tote tank off the rear of a tan coloured trailer like this IMO really spoils the esthetics". Hey, it's his trailer he can obviously do what he wants with it but apparently he must be agreeing there is a point here as he's now painted the rack black and covered the tote. :W I might tighten that cover with a couple of black bungies cords so it doesn't flap in the wind but IMO what he's now done looks much better and is more in keeping with that sharp looking trailer he has. :B

I don't think the Beverly Hillbillies comment was directed at you or anyone else for that matter. It was merely a follow up to the OP's reference to the aesthetics police.
I do like what the OP has done,looks good. However I'm all about keeping it simple. The less set up, break down pack up, put away I go through. The more time I have to relax and enjoy the CG.
That means I seldom pull out awning lights, No signs or pink flamingos! No non essential covers on my tote...Granted it takes all of a minute to put the cover on, But that is a minute more of set up and break down time. I try to keep it mean and lean when it come to set up/break down
Just a mat and a camping chair is all I typically need. Anything else is subject to "Do I really need to get this out!"
Yes the cooler is a mandatory option;)
Correct Trax,Splendide

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Don't sweat it. I use to get the same Beverly Hillbillies comment about my tote being on the rear.

I must have missed it because in 3 pages of discussion I didn't note anyone mention the "Beverly Hillbillies". :R What I did say - "the OP has a really sharp looking trailer but hanging a brightly coloured blue tote tank off the rear of a tan coloured trailer like this IMO really spoils the esthetics". Hey, it's his trailer he can obviously do what he wants with it but apparently he must be agreeing there is a point here as he's now painted the rack black and covered the tote. :W I might tighten that cover with a couple of black bungies cords so it doesn't flap in the wind but IMO what he's now done looks much better and is more in keeping with that sharp looking trailer he has. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carried my blue tote on the back of my trailer from Michigan to Florida every fall and then back in the spring for 16 years. Never had a comment or even felt like it was inappropriate to carry it back there.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

lclevel
Explorer
Explorer
For the esthetics police, the picture below shows the PVC pipe is now painted black and a black cover has been added. Hopefully no one will be offended now. Geez!

Click For Full-Size Image.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I carried the tote using the chair rack on the back of my last RV for about 5 years. Both the ladder and the rack held up fine.
I like the ingenuity of the PVC rack, but for those not as capable/clever the chair rack is a simple viable solution that I have used for years.

Correct Trax,Splendide

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Good Idea but there is no need to fabricate a rack. It has already been done for you.
I carried my tote for years using a chair carrier/rack.

Any problems w/ the ladder pulling away from the back wall or sealing material cracking? I bought one of these to do the same thing, but then read a few posts where people were worried about that sort of thing.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

lclevel
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Good Idea but there is no need to fabricate a rack. It has already been done for you.

Thanks for the idea, but I have a 42 gallon tote and dimensionally this item is to small for it. Also, the weight capacity is 40 lbs and my tote weighs 47 lbs.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

Correct Trax,Splendide

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
While I agree the look is not going to win any beauty contest, I would certainly rather place that tote on the outside of my vehicle that on the inside....

SoundGuy wrote:
Nowhere did I suggest putting a tote tank inside the rig. :R If I used one I'd transport it in the back of the truck ... but I don't have one and instead use a set of 7 gal Aquatainers which travel in the back of the truck, out of sight / out of mind, and are labeled for collecting waste water. K.I.S.S. :B

Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Lets be clear, I didn't say you were going to put it anyplace on the inside but some of us who travel by Motorhome DO NOT tow a truck behind said motorhome.

In which case your post would have been much "clearer" had you said you were talking about your own situation and where to carry a tote on a motorhome like you have, not a travel trailer like the OP has and which is what we're talking about in this thread. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380