cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1/2 Inch Drive Corded or Battery Impact Wrench

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Primary use would be to change a flat tire when I'm on the road. If I get a corded wrench I would need to start the generator to use it. I would also need an extension cord. If I get a battery operated wrench all I need to do is make sure the battery is charged. Corded Pros: less expensive, takes up less room and I think it would more powerful than a battery operated gun. Cons: need to have the generator running to use. Battery: Pros: ready for immediate use. Cons: takes up a little more storage space, must be charged to use, cost more and this is just a guess, doesn't have the same power as a corded gun. My current set up is a 3ft length of 1 1/2 pipe and a 3/4 inch breaker bar which will work fine but I'd like to simplify my approach.
As always your opinions are valued.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
46 REPLIES 46

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lot's of LAZY people, or maybe they just need to have the latest gadget??? How much time does it take to break loose the lug nuts and remove them and do the reverse compared to the impact? Also a long handle ratchet wrench or a simple pc of pipe that can double as a defense item is nice. Is it really worth it to buy a 1/2" impact???

Wife never has complained with the good ol manual tools!!! She really makes that speed wrench spin!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
I spent 33 years with a company that sold to Commercial contractors. DeWalt and Milwaukee are the top 2 brands used. Choose one or the other. Once you have a charger and couple batteries you can buy new "bare" tools. Those do not come with charger or battery. Saves a lot of $. And you can get new with warranty. Milwaukee has the larger variety of tools including lawn but DeWalt is adding more monthly. Either one works well. Do make sure and have at least one 4-amp hour battery or higher. Some tool types use up battery life fast. Love my cordless jig saw but it drains a 2-amp battery fast, ditto the recip saw. I have DeWalt but have used a friends Milwaukee small impact driver and it is amazing.
Greg
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Ryobi One+ batteries work with like a 100 plus tools and they are affordable. Been accumulating and have loved every one. Jobsite speaker, 150w power source, drill, circular saw, vacuum, lantern, compressor and still going. About to buy a fan for when I dry camp.

Tvov wrote:
Took me longer than a lot of other people, but I am firmly in the battery camp now.

I got a Milwaukee M12 battery impact wrench last year, and Wow. Hard to believe how much better it is than my air impact wrench. I got the "shorty" one to get under my mowers, so it doesn't even weigh all that much.

Look into getting a "system" where the batteries can be used with multiple tools like drills and saws.

Definitely battery over corded.

I picked up a "almost new" Milwaukee M18 3/4" drive impact gun with a battery and charger for $200.. This is a great addition to my tools as I have ALL Milwaukee tools as it is.. I use it on all maintenance projects that include removing the wheels...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Ryobi also and is is great. So handy I use it even when I have my air compressor available in the shop.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Ryobi from Home Depot. Great wrench and will do A class rims and yes I am a retired mechanic and I also had a Snap-On tool franchise. This wrench is better than the S-O.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have an Ingersoll Rand air impact, and a number of other air tools, for at home. My 50' hose, on retractable rafter mounted hose reel works great for me. I can add 10/25/50' more hose, but rarely need to.

When traveling I carry breaker bar, and torque wrench, which will handle trailer wheels easily. The truck manual says 165 pounds torque, which may require a cheater bar too. My breaker is only about 15"s.

Sure would be nice to have a 20V 1/2 inch Dewalt, if I ever had to change a truck tire! Kinda feelin a little jealous right now! Hope I get over it, without having to order?? I've never ever had to change a truck tire on the road.:)

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the compressor and 1/2" air impact, but I usually work out in front of the garage, and by the time I unreel the hose for the air tools, I figure I'm better off with a cordless tool instead. I just got the brushless Dewalt 1/2" cordless impact, bare tool, for a touch over $100. It has 400 ft.lbs. of breakaway torque. It came today and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I have a 25" breaker bar for the really stubborn stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was going to say , cheater pipe is a must at times . Never gave having a impact wrench much thought when traveling . I have used a battery impact ,my son has one . I do a lot of my own wrenching at home ,and use air. I rotate my own tires ,and use the air impact to remove lug nuts ,makes the job go faster , but on the road not sure I am going to put out the bucks for a quality impact on thinking I may need it . Possibly a cheap one . I carry a long breaker bar ,torque wrench ,and hydraulic jack . To date have changed " ONE fifth wheel tire on the road , and was no big deal with the tools mentioned .

blt2ski
I have a probably now 40 yr old 1/2" drive corded impact wrench. Great when I bought it. still useful. After using one of my sons Milwaukee 3/8 and 1/2" battery impact wrench wrenches..... The 3/8 kicks out more beef than the corded one. 1/2" every bit or more powerful than some of the most powered up air impacts.

The 1/2" did not kick off some very rusted "BUD" wheels on my navistar. A 3/4" impact got those off! Even a break bar with my phart arse standing 6' from the socket did not help at times.

WHat ever brand of tools you get, look over the WHOLE line to make sure you can use the batteries across the board. I recently updated some 40 yr old De Walt with Rigid. About that time I realized another brand or two had some smaller buffers! ARRG! And some yard tools I would like.....Not that Ryobi is the best, probably better than my 1990 18v nicad Dewalt stuff!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
I have ViAir Heavy duty on board compress or and carry an impact wrench with me, haven't needed it yet.
An air impact? I didn't know the ViAir compressors had a tank big enough to operate a air impact.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
docsouce wrote:
As always great feedback. I did some searches and I bought a VTEC 1/2 inch drive brushless wrench. Comes with 2 21 volt 4 amp lithium ion batteries, and a charger. It seems to have the most bang for the buck.
Bought it on Amazon for $129.00.I don't have any other battery operated tools,except for my cordless drill so at the moment I'm not worried about battery compatibility.
Thanks again.

Actually, now is precisely the time to worry about battery incompatibility. When you buy the first battery tool, you have the option of choosing a battery system that can power multiple tools, or of choosing a battery that is dedicated to that tool alone. If you choose option 2, then tools you buy after that will need separate batteries/chargers.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
As always great feedback. I did some searches and I bought a VTEC 1/2 inch drive brushless wrench. Comes with 2 21 volt 4 amp lithium ion batteries, and a charger. It seems to have the most bang for the buck.
Bought it on Amazon for $129.00.I don't have any other battery operated tools,except for my cordless drill so at the moment I'm not worried about battery compatibility.
Thanks again.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have ViAir Heavy duty on board compress or and carry an impact wrench with me, haven't needed it yet.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Craftsman 20V impact and really like it. I've added an angle grinder to that stable but use the Milwaukee M12 stuff for several smaller uses.
The 200 feet of 20 amp extension cords in the shed are not happy with me.
Puma 30RKSS