cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1/2 Inch Drive Corded or Battery Impact Wrench

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Primary use would be to change a flat tire when I'm on the road. If I get a corded wrench I would need to start the generator to use it. I would also need an extension cord. If I get a battery operated wrench all I need to do is make sure the battery is charged. Corded Pros: less expensive, takes up less room and I think it would more powerful than a battery operated gun. Cons: need to have the generator running to use. Battery: Pros: ready for immediate use. Cons: takes up a little more storage space, must be charged to use, cost more and this is just a guess, doesn't have the same power as a corded gun. My current set up is a 3ft length of 1 1/2 pipe and a 3/4 inch breaker bar which will work fine but I'd like to simplify my approach.
As always your opinions are valued.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
46 REPLIES 46

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lot's of LAZY people, or maybe they just need to have the latest gadget??? How much time does it take to break loose the lug nuts and remove them and do the reverse compared to the impact? Also a long handle ratchet wrench or a simple pc of pipe that can double as a defense item is nice. Is it really worth it to buy a 1/2" impact???

Wife never has complained with the good ol manual tools!!! She really makes that speed wrench spin!!!

You have trained her well, but mine will hand me the tools .:B

I looked at her and said we do have road side assistance but it may take one to several hours to get here. She said let's get it done! 1/2 hour later we were patting each other on the backs heading down the highway.

I did not ask her to get under the RV and pull out the spare or replace the bad tire in the spare holder.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Just WOW...I surely am the only one on these forums that does not have a battery powered impact! I am not lazy...did not order one yet...hanging tough, so far.

That pretty blonde Babe is a reminder, that I can use non-powered tools too!

I have to admit, that I did cave, ordered a nice new Case pocket knife, after many years not having one. Yup, the knife thread on ATC got me. Mine should be in my pocket this coming week!

Jerry

Case are nice ,kinda of a bucks knife guy myself . But admit I carry just a small Swiss combination these days ,has the fingernail clipper , blade , tooth pick etc . If out ,and about well then its the Leatherman on the belt .

Yes ,no battery powered impact yet myself, never gave it much thought until this thread .

Well thanks 2014...good I'm not the only one without! ๐Ÿ™‚ I've a number of battery powered tools, but never gave much thought about an impact either, until this thread. I could purchase one, keep it under rear seat of truck for when traveling? I've used my air impact for many years in driveway or garage/shop.

Sorry off topic, as to knives, Buck are good. I have a large folding belt one for hunting, as well as a Puma, and Browning sheath version. Was looking at the Kershaw Launch 4 for my pocket, but decided on the case 083.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
I've had enough battery powered tools with a dead battery when I go to use them that I wouldn't get one for this purpose. If I'm doing a small project, throwing the battery on the charger for a 1/2hr while I do some other prep work isn't a big deal. If I'm stuck on the side of the road, cranking the generator up and running it for 1/2hr to charge the battery, doesn't seem a great idea.

I have a long breaker bar. Once they are broken free, nothing to spin the lug nuts off quickly. If I'm greasing the bearings, I get out the small air compressor and pneumatic unit.

lol. You need batter toolsโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Just WOW...I surely am the only one on these forums that does not have a battery powered impact! I am not lazy...did not order one yet...hanging tough, so far.

I have to admit, that I did cave, ordered a nice new Case pocket knife, after many years not having one. Yup, the knife thread on ATC got me. Mine should be in my pocket this coming week!

Jerry

Case are nice ,kinda of a bucks knife guy myself . But admit I carry just a small Swiss combination these days ,has the fingernail clipper , blade , tooth pick etc . If out ,and about well then its the Leatherman on the belt .

Yes ,no battery powered impact yet myself, never gave it much thought until this thread .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lot's of LAZY people, or maybe they just need to have the latest gadget??? How much time does it take to break loose the lug nuts and remove them and do the reverse compared to the impact? Also a long handle ratchet wrench or a simple pc of pipe that can double as a defense item is nice. Is it really worth it to buy a 1/2" impact???

Wife never has complained with the good ol manual tools!!! She really makes that speed wrench spin!!!

You have trained her well, but mine will hand me the tools .:B

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
I've had enough battery powered tools with a dead battery when I go to use them that I wouldn't get one for this purpose. If I'm doing a small project, throwing the battery on the charger for a 1/2hr while I do some other prep work isn't a big deal. If I'm stuck on the side of the road, cranking the generator up and running it for 1/2hr to charge the battery, doesn't seem a great idea.

I have a long breaker bar. Once they are broken free, nothing to spin the lug nuts off quickly. If I'm greasing the bearings, I get out the small air compressor and pneumatic unit.
I have three batteries and make sure at least one is always fully charged. And a partially charged battery will take lug nuts off with no issues. Not being prepared is no reason not to work smarter. I've used a breaker bar and ratchet to remove lug nuts, and I'll take a cordless impact every time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
lol, I didn't throw out my hand tools after buying a battery impact wrench.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:

Jerry

A Manly Man as I know you are "HAS TO HAVE" a pocket knife!!! I like my US Made Kershaw.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksbowman wrote:
Try breaking one loose after surgery , especially OHS. You'll be so happy you have the impact!

Itโ€™s ok. 12V is the eternal antagonistโ€ฆ.
And I guarantee he owns and uses more power tools than many on this forumโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try breaking one loose after surgery , especially OHS. You'll be so happy you have the impact!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot of DeWalt cordless products are US Made and all that I have looked at in the Milwaukee line are China if that matters to anyone.

On the DeWalt stuff make sure the part of the battery that plugs into the drill is yellow as the black ones are inferior. I have the same two 20V batteries from the 1/2" Drill/Impact set I bought in 2016 with many hours of use, still going strong.