cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which rooftop Satellite antenna for Directv?

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey folks,

My dad is tired of manually aligning his roof top SAT antenna and wants to replace it with a modern self pointing model such as the Winegard carryout G2 or the King controls Quest VQ4100

Since I'm not a DirecTV subscriber, (I am a Dish customer) I am not up on whats the best equipment option going right now......Can someone give me a crash course on which one is better or if there are any other offerings?

In motion is not needed. HD is not necessary for his 19" LCD TV.......

Thank you for any advice.....
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

11 REPLIES 11

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, my bad. Just be sure to get the G2+. I thought the new version of the dome was the T4. The T4 is for viewing TV while in motion which is not necessary in this case.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Winegard Carryout G2+ roof mounted. Another advantage is that you can switch from DirecTV to Dish with just a few dip switch changes on the power inserter, should you ever want to. As stated before, the G2+ won't receive DirecTV HD but it will work for Dish HD should your dad feel like upgrading his TV at a later time.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have the G2 but I understand there is a better model G2+ that only requires one cable. I'd go with that one. There are too many times when our dome is blocked by a tree.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
For roof mount the current Winegard Carryout T4 is the best product.

AHHH.......I think I found the confusion in our conversation.....I think you meant to say Winegard Carryout

G2

instead of

T4

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
used Thorley headers

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
96Bounder30E wrote:
Bill,

Thanks for the response.......this will replace his current roof top manual crank up SAT antenna....

As far as the T4.....I know he's not interested in spending that kind of money......

Thanks again!

Compared to what? I guess you could buy a product that is no longer manufactured to save some money but if you want an automatic antenna, be if roof mounted or portable, that's what they cost. If you want to forget about anything automatic then you need to start a new topic or clarify what you/he needs.

Bill,

I asked about the Carryout G2 priced at $650.00

You mentioned the Roadtrip T4 priced at $1400.00

Clearly a $750 difference.....what I meant was....$650 is doable......$1400 is out of the ball park.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but both models are "Automatic".....with the T4 being "In motion".......as far as I can tell from Winegards website both the G2 and the T4 are both current product still being manufactured......

If I'm missing something......do tell!
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
used Thorley headers

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
96Bounder30E wrote:
Hey folks,

My dad is tired of manually aligning his roof top SAT antenna and wants to replace it with a modern self pointing model such as the Winegard carryout G2 or the King controls Quest VQ4100

Since I'm not a DirecTV subscriber, (I am a Dish customer) I am not up on whats the best equipment option going right now......Can someone give me a crash course on which one is better or if there are any other offerings?

In motion is not needed. HD is not necessary for his 19" LCD TV.......

Thank you for any advice.....

even though HD is not necessary I'd still go for the Winegard Trav'ler. simplicity personified.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok Sat Antennas 101.001 DirecTV only
Domes, all work when stationary, some work in motion, some are "SINGLE" lnb (Work with only one receiver) Some "Dual" (Work with multiple receivers or multi-channel DVRs) the difference between a single and double is not Two LNB's. it is the ability to see both right and left hand polarization (Clockwise and anti-clockwise).

Domes some models are in-motion, all work stationary..

DISH.. There is a single LNB Dish made by Winegard but far as I know it is the only one.. Rest are all double (it's the table top model)

Dish type antennas can be purchased to match any receiver, and teh SWM (Single wire multiplex) dishes Direc has work with both SD and HD, for stationary only I would recomment two antennas, both dish type.

one automatic roof mounted, One tripod, and an "A/B" Switch in the lnb line

Set to A, if the roof top dish can not see the satellite.. Hook up, SET TO B, then RESET the receiver and aim.

When leaving set back to A, disconnect, reset and go.

A = Above
B = Below by the way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
96Bounder30E wrote:
Bill,

Thanks for the response.......this will replace his current roof top manual crank up SAT antenna....

As far as the T4.....I know he's not interested in spending that kind of money......

Thanks again!

Compared to what? I guess you could buy a product that is no longer manufactured to save some money but if you want an automatic antenna, be if roof mounted or portable, that's what they cost. If you want to forget about anything automatic then you need to start a new topic or clarify what you/he needs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Directv SD programming is planned to end, probably long before any antenna you buy today will be at the end of its life. IMHO it is simply foolish to spend a dime on SD only equipment. You will only wind up double buying in a few years to HD.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill,

Thanks again!
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
used Thorley headers

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since HD is not a concern then Winegard or King Dome is pretty much a toss-up. Check for the best pricing for the product plus the installation and pick one. Is this going to be roof mounted or a portable that you setup on the ground or the picnic table?
I like Winegard but I used to work for Winegard. I worked for Winegard because they have a better product. For roof mount the current Winegard Carryout T4 is the best product.