cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing AM24N tuner from DirecTV satellite receiver

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have an AM24N, over-the-air tuner, which has been in my DirecTV circuit for years. In fact, nobody at "Technical Help" even knows what I'm talking about. I removed my AM24N since I really no longer need it. Now, with everything disconnected and removed my receiver keeps telling me it has been removed and needs to be replaced. The message stays on my screen until it times out. As I said, nobody seems to know what I'm talking about when I mention the AM24N. This AM24N was provided by DirecTV back before the "SPOT BEAM" era began. I'm guessing about 15 to 20 years back. If anybody knows anything about the AM24N please reply.
15 REPLIES 15

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Or there is a menu setting but don't ask me where

That's the big question. I could probably do a hard reset of the receiver. I think that's #981 but you lose all your recordings on that receiver.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If your automatic antenna is a Winegard the tuners condition will not effect it in any way. I use the Trav'ler with DirecTV and have done the factory reset a couple of times without issue. If the message really bothers you it's likely your best choice. The receivers are intentional setup so you can screw with the programming.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
If the receiver is also NOT a DVR I would suggest that you do a factory reset with the tuner not installed. It should put you back to where the receiver was before you installed the tuner.

I would, except I am concerned that I may awaken some unforeseen problem. I am close to ditching the dish, anyway. I kind of hate that I've spent so much money on the automatic dish and other equipment to make the dish work.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
If the device is optional then there are two sets of what are called Binary files (BIN) for your receier. the other name (more proper) is Firmware or software (Depending on how the receiver stores it) you need the proper version of the "Ware".

Or there is a menu setting but don't ask me where.

That's what I'm looking for. It doesn't surprise me that their Tech Support never heard of the AM24N.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
old tech. really not surprising. why not just re-insert the device?

I'm just trying to streamline my shelves and eliminate unnecessary wiring. If I wanted to keep the old, unused box on my shelf I would not have posted the original subject.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the device is optional then there are two sets of what are called Binary files (BIN) for your receier. the other name (more proper) is Firmware or software (Depending on how the receiver stores it) you need the proper version of the "Ware".

Or there is a menu setting but don't ask me where.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If the receiver is also NOT a DVR I would suggest that you do a factory reset with the tuner not installed. It should put you back to where the receiver was before you installed the tuner.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have one sitting in my closet...headed for the garbage can...sad ๐Ÿ˜ž
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Even google could not find any reference to it. Except for your post.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, I suspect the employee turnover at DirecTV, Dish Network, SiriusXM, etc. is pretty high.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
15-20 years is an eternity for technology. And turnover is also high for satellite/cable techs. A few years ago I was looking for a 5 year old receiver for my RV's 18" dish and it took weeks to find a used one and DirecTV was no help.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
old tech. really not surprising. why not just re-insert the device?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'll just deal with it every time I change sources. I can't believe they sold the boxes but nobody knows they exist. Well, I guess I can believe it. Consider where their technology comes from.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like there is error checking built into the system software or firmware. Probably canโ€™t do anything but tolerate the message or put it back in.