cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Insertr

srd1941
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about a power inserter for TV. I have two different TV antennas, a Winegard G3 for when I am on the road and a standard Direct TV satellite dish mounted on my RV port at home. When my home Direct TV antenna was installed I was told I needed a power inserter so I purchased an AT&T PI1RI-03 inserter from Amazon and installed it between the satellite dish and the receiver. I later purchased a Winegard G3 and it came with its own inserter. I know that the Winegard inserter sends power to the G3 to search for sattelites. Isnโ€™t that all that a power inserter does is send power back to whichever antenna it is hooked to or do different inserters have different functions. The reason Iโ€™m asking is that I have the AT&T inserter mounted permanently on the wall of my RV and whenever I take the RV out I uninstall the receiver from the AT&T inserter and install the Winegard inserter for the G3 antenna and then reinstall the AT&T inserter when I get back home. I sent an email to Winegard but Iโ€™m not sure I worded my question well enough. This is the answer I received from Winegard:
You cannot use the DirecTV power inserter in place of the power inserter for the Carryout G3.
The power inserter you have at home is to provide your receiver signal, the power inserter for the Carryout G3 makes the system search for signal etc.
So back to my question, do different power inserters have different functions so they only work on specific antennas or do they just supply voltage where needed and the antenna decides what to use it for. It would be convenient to just leave one hooked up all the time and not have to change back and forth. Thank you
Stan
3 REPLIES 3

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very good chance the voltages are different.. The mobile one is likely battery voltage (13.6) and the home one more likely 18/36
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
The power requirements are different. Different ones are required. That's also necessary because the satellite TV circuit and the OTA TV circuit are completely separate and run through different coax and routing.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The power inserter for your home dish powers the LNB and any associated switches you may have. The power inserter for the G3 has to supply power to the internal drive motor(s) and electronics including the LNB. The two inserters likely have different output current capacities as well as possibly different output voltages.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate