Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using smart phone as a hot spot

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Using smart phone as a hot spot

I am getting ready to dump Sprint and go to Verizon with a Galaxy 7 for a hot spot, eliminating the need for my curing Spring hot spot and cell phone. I was reedy to do the transfer when a Verizon representative informed me this was not a good idea and that using the Galaxy 7 with a non-replaceable battery was not good and that I should use a separate device for a hotspot. I am so confused over this as I have never owned a smart phone. Any help would be appreciated.

r0nโ€ฆ.
54 REPLIES 54

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
That depends on which version of Android is on your phone and which phone carrier you have
Everytime the phone companies change something on a new phone model for foxfi had to be updated to work for that model

The OP says he has a Samsung S7, same phone I have. FoxFi works fine on it.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

MrWizard
That depends on which version of Android is on your phone and which phone carrier you have
Everytime the phone companies change something on a new phone model for foxfi had to be updated to work for that model
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
You can use the FoxFi app to turn your wifi hotspot on and use only your data.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
camper_ron wrote:
Another update, Bought the Samsung S7 for $99 also got free 32inch smart Tv, all good so far. Whent to activate my phones hot spot capability's and found out I need to pay extra for this. was under the impression it was free except for the data used?

Sad r0n....long hard lurning curve.:(

I think it depends on your carrier and plan.

Dave

WE are using Verizon, when I called the customer service person told me i needed to update my plan to newer one then I could activate the hot spot. I was also told it would be cheaper and offer more data, so far it looks good.

r0n....

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
camper_ron wrote:
Another update, Bought the Samsung S7 for $99 also got free 32inch smart Tv, all good so far. Whent to activate my phones hot spot capability's and found out I need to pay extra for this. was under the impression it was free except for the data used?

I think it depends on your carrier and plan.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Say, that you're using your laptop with a phone aas a hot spot looking at RV camp grounds and you want to call one. On our phones you can't do it unless you shut down the hot spot or use a second phone to make the call.
Your second phone is your laptop using Google voice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Also check this. On our one year old Verizon Samsung phones, they works great as hot spots, BUT while using them as a hot spot, you can't make a call on it. Say, that you're using your laptop with a phone aas a hot spot looking at RV camp grounds and you want to call one. On our phones you can't do it unless you shut down the hot spot or use a second phone to make the call.

Bill

I use my almost 2 year old Galaxy S5 as a hot spot and can make/receive calls/texts while online. Works much better than the separate Verizon hot spot I previously had and saved me $20 per month.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
new twist the $199 deal with 2 year contract is only for curint Verizon customers for the Galaxy 7. Otherwise it is $28 month for 24 months that is $627 that is a lot of money to Me.

r0n.....:S

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I did something different..

No smart phones.. (thank you)
2 flip phones... picked up a Verizon 8 inch tablet.. it also works as a hotspot. and it uses smartphone apps. (that I wanted) Android operating system 5.1

the tablet is $1.00 yes one dollar. on sale Now. and has a 5,000ma battery.

and it has an 8 inch screen... the Satellite Finder app.. is Large and easy to find the correct satellite.

and retired my 5510 Mifi.

and my bill went Down 20 dollars a month, and got 6gb at same price of 5gb.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
OK but how do I use it as a hot spot, exactly. I have a Samsung with Android. The phone is only about 3 months old but was not the most expensive one through Cricket wireless. Do I connect my laptop to th phone or what?

1) Go to Apps; click
2) Settings click
3) Click; More
4)click Mobile Hotspot, turn the button to on
5)On your computer go to wifi
6) locate your phone name
7) click; then enter the code on the phone
๐Ÿ˜Ž should work!

I have a Kyocera HydraView from cricket; have the $60.00 Plan 10GB, then pay the $10.00 for the HotSpot = $70.00 month. Can also add 1 gb-$10.00 if needed!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
strollin wrote:
... Plus I am not now connected at the hip to Verizon for two years even though I still use their cell network.

When deciding to contract or pay as you go there are many considerations.

First: Contract or not, once you have met the contract duration (Paid off the handset) you can switch networks at any time, Many providers make a big thing in their adds about how you can "even keep your current phone number".. So you know, this is a federal law.. All companies have to offer that service. (most do, some do not).

But the decision to contract or now has to be made by analyzing your use.. For me. Normally (I'm not normal just now) a contract makes sense... I use my data allotment and a pay as you go would actually cost me more.. Normally.. (I do not use my voice/messages that much but I burn a lot of bandwidth). For others. this is not the case.

One thing I like about my provider.. If I ever go OVER my limit, they do not cha-ching me liek Verizon does.. they just slow me down. I have, on rare occasions, slightly exceeded my allotment.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
I suppose it means I could switch to another network anytime but since I consider VZ best for my needs, I probably would never switch.
I'm of the same mind right now, but the environment is changing constantly. I am tempted by Google's Project Fi but it doesn't quite meet my needs now, primarily because Verizon is not one of their options for connection. But other solutions similar to this are probably in the works.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
A regular headset with a extension should give you a bit of freedom.

On the Sleek, I saw a tip about placing a spacer between the cradle and the device. I still get the signal but the heating isn't so bad.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator