cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Cell booster

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a cell booster for my new RV. What are my options?
11 REPLIES 11

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
If I were spending the money again, and needed to have service. I'd just pay for Starlink.

But Starlink is just "internet".

It doesn't boost a cell signal, which is what it seems like the OP is seeking to do.

Every phone I am aware of allows WiFi calling, so Starlink will give better phone service than any of the boosters.

OP here, While it may bean an option, I would rather not have a monthly fee.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
If I were spending the money again, and needed to have service. I'd just pay for Starlink.

It doesn't boost a cell signal, which is what it seems like the OP is seeking to do.

Every phone I am aware of allows WiFi calling, so Starlink will give better phone service than any of the boosters.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the WeBoost RV last year, and I'm not impressed. If I were spending the money again, and needed to have service. I'd just pay for Starlink. Our ownership group bought it for the houseboat, and it works awesome. WAY better than WeBoost.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Omnidirectional is never going to give you as much of a gain as a directional, it's physics since you're limited on transmit power. You can get omnis up to about 6dB which isn't nothing, but yagis can be up to about 24dB which a massive difference since dB is logarithmic (powers of 10).

correct. however when we are out in the boondocks, I first use the omni with our weboost system and if that doesn't give me enough signal I connect up the yagi and start searching. There are only a few places we go to that a yagi ends up being needed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Omnidirectional is never going to give you as much of a gain as a directional, it's physics since you're limited on transmit power. You can get omnis up to about 6dB which isn't nothing, but yagis can be up to about 24dB which a massive difference since dB is logarithmic (powers of 10).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:

Last I looked WeBost and Solid Signal. Can't say one is better than the other. I CAN however say how they work.

You have an "indoor" antenna you mount inside your RV.. A
And and "outdoor" antenna.. More on this in a bit

And between them is a black (or other color) Box with the magic in it.

Now if the antennas are too close to each other.. bad things happen

But there are two thigns about the outdoor antenna.
First there are two types. Directional. and omni-directional.

Directional has greater range. but you have to "Aim" it.

HEIGHT IS MIGHT.. Get it as high as you can and out of trees if possible... A flagpole is a good idea.. or other form of mast.. 20-30 feet up

Of course being the tallest object in the campground has disadvantages in a lightening storm.

I have a cell booster at home, so I know enough about them. The one we have is directional.

Ideally, I'd like to mount it to the roof of my RV on a short post. Unidirectional would be better for us so that I do not need to mess with it every time we move.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
swimmer_spe wrote:

Last I looked WeBost and Solid Signal. Can't say one is better than the other. I CAN however say how they work.

You have an "indoor" antenna you mount inside your RV.. A
And and "outdoor" antenna.. More on this in a bit

And between them is a black (or other color) Box with the magic in it.

Now if the antennas are too close to each other.. bad things happen

But there are two thigns about the outdoor antenna.
First there are two types. Directional. and omni-directional.

Directional has greater range. but you have to "Aim" it.

HEIGHT IS MIGHT.. Get it as high as you can and out of trees if possible... A flagpole is a good idea.. or other form of mast.. 20-30 feet up

Of course being the tallest object in the campground has disadvantages in a lightening storm.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
When I was researching them last year it seemed like SureCall was rated slightly higher than WeBoost...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
These folks have a lot of information on mobile stuff:

RVMobileInternet

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
WeBoost RV is probably the current leader, Amazon has a number of no name versions too,
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper