cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV connection from front TV to bedroom class A

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dish Satellite Antena King Tailgator mounted on the roof of our class A. The receiver is in the front of the RV by the large TV. We have a TV in the bedroom and I want to get the signal back to the bedroom.

I don't mind that both TV's get the same channel. This is a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition. I changed out both TV's to flat panel type smart TV's a couple years ago. I have a Coaxial cable that runs to the back bedroom from the area of the Dish receiver. The receiver has HDMI type connections. What is the cheapest way to transmit the dish signal to the bedroom?

I really don't want to try and run a new cable the length of the MH. I am not up on the newest tech. Can I somehow use the coaxial cable? Is there a way to transmit the signal wireless to the bedroom?

Thanks for any suggestions to accomplish this. I keep hearing from the wife you spent all this money for satellite TV and I can't watch anything from the back TV.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
24 REPLIES 24

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
When you hand a receiver to someone else so they can receive programming without paying their own fee, that is not allowed by DISH and considered theft of services. Without that "law" 1 person could sign up for an account and pass out receivers to all of his neighbors. Much like the problem Netflix is having with password sharing that's costing them billions.

A Dish Joey is not a standalone receiver. It's a sub-receiver that requires a Dish Hopper receiver to connect to so it can receive programming. The Joey has no tuners of its own. As long as Dish is collecting the monthly fee I doubt they really care who's watching the paid for programming. Also, the Wireless Joey has a limited range since it connects using WiFi.

Umm.. YES, They DO "care"..

Per Dish customer agreement..

HERE

Page 3 section G, they clearly define PERSONAL Viewing as non commercial viewing only.

"G. Private, Non-Commercial Viewing Only. We provide Services to you solely for (i) private, non-commercial
viewing, use and enjoyment by you, members of your household and your guests and (ii) any other form of viewing
permitted by the โ€œfair useโ€ or other applicable provisions of the U.S. copyright laws or by DISHโ€™s agreements with third
parties. You agree that no Services provided to you may be used for public or commercial viewing. In the event that you
use the Services for public or commercial viewing, then, without limitation to any of our rights at law, in equity, under
contract (including, without limitation, this Agreement and your applicable Promotion Agreement(s)) or otherwise (all of
which are hereby expressly reserved): (1) we may disconnect your Services without notice at any time; and (2) in addition
to all other applicable prices, fees and charges, you agree to pay us the difference between the price actually paid for the
Services and the full, non-discounted applicable price that DISH charges for public or commercial viewing of the Services."

Allowing a unrelated "neighbor" outside of your home or RV access to your Dish services is not covered by "fair use".. Your neighbor is considered "public" and you have crossed into commercial land.

Sort of the same thing of allowing someone outside your household to borrow and watch DVD's, BlueRays, CDs or use someone elses streaming account without the permission of the originators of the content borrowed..

Sure, it can and is being done, but is it right to do so?

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
They do care and it is not allowed as you are providing free services to someone other than those in your home.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
When you hand a receiver to someone else so they can receive programming without paying their own fee, that is not allowed by DISH and considered theft of services. Without that "law" 1 person could sign up for an account and pass out receivers to all of his neighbors. Much like the problem Netflix is having with password sharing that's costing them billions.

A Dish Joey is not a standalone receiver. It's a sub-receiver that requires a Dish Hopper receiver to connect to so it can receive programming. The Joey has no tuners of its own. As long as Dish is collecting the monthly fee I doubt they really care who's watching the paid for programming. Also, the Wireless Joey has a limited range since it connects using WiFi.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
LouLawrence, it is NOT theft of service. I pay for the rcvr and 2 Joey's. I can watch 3 different programs on 3 TVs. So what was I stealing?

For your 2nd post, I installed the Hopper system in my RV and knew it would work before installing it. I bought the Winegard Trav'ler 3 LNB antenna for Dish. It receives the same 3 satellites that the Hopper 3 received when the rcvr was in our house before we sold it and went full time.
BTW, the wireless Joey gets its signal from the main receiver and not from the antenna (dish). So if the OP had a wireless Joey in his house that worked with his Walley receiver, then it WILL work in his RV.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
We have the Hopper 3 and 2 wireless Joey's. One Joey is in our bedroom and the other is in the den/bunkroom/office/cat room/guest room. I can take the wireless Joey and TV out of the combo room and set it up outside IF I want to watch TV outside.

I have this in the house I guess I could take it with me in the MH. I did get the parts that I posted and it is working.

When I talked to Dish the lady said the wireless Joey would not work with my Walley receiver in the MH??

Whatever you have working at home will work in your RV "as long as" you have the same antenna type, wiring and switches connected to the RV. This sometimes takes a bit of work and is likely not a standard setup you would find in an RV unless you had a really well qualified installer do the work in the RV.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
We even loaned a Joey to neighbors in a RV Park once and they watched any channel we subscribed to.

Ever heard the phrase "theft of services"? Please don't get me wrong, we can all do as we please. We all speed, run stop signs and cheat on our taxes but calling it what it is is just what it is.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We even loaned a Joey to neighbors in a RV Park once and they watched any channel we subscribed to.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not familiar with the Walley receiver. But if it works in the house with wireless Joey's, there is no reason it wouldn't work in an RV.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
We have the Hopper 3 and 2 wireless Joey's. One Joey is in our bedroom and the other is in the den/bunkroom/office/cat room/guest room. I can take the wireless Joey and TV out of the combo room and set it up outside IF I want to watch TV outside.

I have this in the house I guess I could take it with me in the MH. I did get the parts that I posted and it is working.

When I talked to Dish the lady said the wireless Joey would not work with my Walley receiver in the MH??
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:

Good working VIP211K receivers are available on EBay, Anazon, etc. How many people can observe a TV from 20 feet and tell the resolution, as long as the screen is full? I was just trying to show the OP an easy way to hook up using the existing coax at a low cost.

Richard

They are not NEW, no matter what source you buy from other than directly from DISH, they are USED and often are claimed to be "re manufactured" and as such, you take the risk of buying a dead unit or one that Dish deems as stolen and won't activate it.

And yes, one CAN detect the difference between SD and 1080i video at 20ft..

I don't understand why you are so insistent on buying a used unit instead of buying a HDMI splitter..

You can buy this one for $12

HERE

Perhaps you could point me to a brand new VIP211K for $12 ?

Ones I see on Ebay are starting around $95 and are claiming to be new, I highly doubt that they are new as they are built for Dish to Dishes specifications..

The only reason why it will cost the OP a bit more is they want to reuse the existing coax and that takes a bit more expensive HDMI to coax transceiver set but even that can be found for as low as $60 and up..

All told they might have a big whopping $80 into it..

If they were to go with Cat5-cat6 network cable those transceivers are far lower cost, easy found for $20-$30 and the Cat5/Cat6 network cable is dirt cheap at 50Ft premade with ends installed cost of $6, 25ft lengths can be found for $3-$5 with ends installed.

Network cables are smaller and easier and cheaper to run than running a long HDMI cable, a 5/8"-3/4" hole is all you need depending on if the connector is molded on or just crimped on. Wiring can be run through cabinets that adjoin walls or even down under the RV and back up, very easy to do.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Another option is a Dish VIP211K receiver. Yes, it's old school but it has HDMI, RCA and coax outputs. It also has USB for an external hard drive. The coax output is SD. The other 2 are HD. It works for us.
It does run a little warm, so I have a small, quiet, low output USB fan sitting on top of it to move a little air.
Richard

The VIP211K while is still able to be used for DISH, it isn't all that good of an option and finding good working units now days might be a shot in the dark at best.

What you said about "the other 2" being HD, that is misleading.

HDMI is the ONLY FULL HD output.

The RCA outputs are "composite" ANALOG SD 480i NTSC (yellow jack)

The other is Analog COMPONENT video which uses three RCA video connections marked Y, Pg, Pr.. Component video output is LIMITED to a resolution of 720p "HD". While 720p is an slight improvement over the SD 480i outputs, it isn't as good of "HD" as the HDMI output which is 1080i or 1080p..

Both analog composite and analog component inputs on most newer TVs have been removed, TV manufacturers are no longer including any legacy analog inputs, only HDMI inputs. So the reality is, if you wanted to use the component (Y, Pg, Pr) output you would need convert that to HDMI anyways adding another conversion box to the setup.

Basically the setup would be component (Y, Pg, Pr) to HDMI converter, then HDMI to coax, then Coax to HDMI to the TV.. and you would be limited to 720p..

So what, you say..

Well you can get full HD (1080i and 1080p) to the back TV by using a HDMI SPLITTER in the signal chain.

Basically HDMI in to the splitter, one HDMI out goes to front TV, second HDMI out goes to HDMI to coax converter, then coax converter to HDMI to the TV.. And now you can have same video quality as the front TV.

Not to mention, component video is a real pain with a total of 5 wires with 5 connections on each side..

Better to learn to deal with the HDMI quirks now days rather than dig up tire old obsolete equipment and using obsolete analog video.

HDMI splitters work fine..

Good working VIP211K receivers are available on EBay, Anazon, etc. How many people can observe a TV from 20 feet and tell the resolution, as long as the screen is full? I was just trying to show the OP an easy way to hook up using the existing coax at a low cost.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest way is an RF Modulator. Output from TVโ€™s RCA cables to box to cable going to second TV.