cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remote veiwing DVR

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Motorola modem/WiFi no router ports connected to DVR/Cameras for remote viewing. Motorola is port forward. Everything is hidden under the floor through an access panel works great but weak WiFi signal.

Now= cable > modem/WiFi > DVR > cameras

Plan is to use Cisco 4200 router/WiFi as a range extender for WiFi internet access in rear bedroom.

Cable > modem/WiFi > Cisco internet port > DVR > cameras.

I know I will need two SSID for local WiFI access but will I be able to get to the DVR remotely?

I don't want to buy a new modem since I have the Cisco router.

I am over 500 miles away and brain storming if I can make this work when I get back.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport
9 REPLIES 9

MrWizard
Technical question answered
Reason for hidden Wi-Fi security answered
Let's Not turn this in to a crime and morals discussion
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
For fun try having a garage sale lol. Especially with smaller cheap items. You would be amazed at how some "crews" work. I find it especially funny when they see the camera, and all of a sudden lose all interest and go away.

Sad that is what things have come to.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I think I found the answer.
TP-LINK-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-WA850RE

This should do what I am trying to accomplish for around $20 and no wiring.

A few years ago the house was broken into (twice) by someone that knew we were on the road so I fixed a false floor in a closet and set up a security system DVR with cameras. There are no visible wires and would be just about impossible to find the DVR to steal the recorded evidence.

It works just fine but being under the floor the WiFi signal for internet is pretty weak so I want to boost it.

Hope I did not make this even more confusing but I think I have the solution so thanks to everyone trying to make sense of my problem and assist with this thread.

Oh yeah, we did catch a neighbors son stealing a dead battery I left out as bait and no more problems word got around we had cameras.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just wondering if there is a reason its hidden in the floor? Or just for a cleaner look?

I've seen wifi extenders that plug into a wall plug and use existing wiring in the house to extend the range...but I think they need a ethernet connection to the router.

This is what seems the most confusing to me...first you say you have motorola modem/wifi with no router ports connected to dvr then you say you can connect to the cisco and dvr with ethernet so which is it?

Either way, port forwarding should not be an issue with the router. What you are going to do is run ethernet from the modem to "feed" the cisco 4200. At that point you can turn off the wifi signal on the modem (if it allows it) since it is buried and weak anyways. Then you will use one of the ports on the 4200 to connect ethernet to the DVR. The other open ports can be used for anything else that you can connect ethernet to that needs it, and if the wifi from the cisco isn't strong enough for your wifi needs over the whole home, you can look into an extender or repeater at that point.

The cisco should have plenty of options for port forwarding for your dvr setup, you will just need to figure out how to do it.

What cable service you have might make it easier to figure out how your motorola modem works. For instance I use xfinity with a router. I have all my xfinity wifi turned off, and just use my routers wifi. Same deal though...cable into modem, then modem feeds the router which supplys wifi and ethernet. I have one pc and one security camera setup plugged into ethernet and thats it, everything else is wifi.

MrWizard
I'm sorry you are making this a confusing issue
Let me see if I have this straight
You are gone, you have remote viewing that works
When you get home you want to change the Wi-Fi there.
So that you have good internet in the bedroom
Is that right?
You need to add a Wi-Fi bridge connection
Or and extenter/repeater, the repeater would be located in between the existing Wi-Fi and the bedroom,
Whether or not you have too replace the Cisco..I don't know
The cameras and DVR, are completely irrelevant to extending the Wi-Fi and just confused the issue
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
This is at my home, I connect through WiFi or cellular when away its when I'm home I have the problem of poor WiFi.

I will run Ethernet cable from Motorola modem/WiFi to remote Cisco 4200 internet connection and Ethernet cable from Cisco router port to DVR. Is the port forwarding through the Motorola/Cisco be a problem???
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
What are you using to connect to the Internet? Park WiFi? Cellular Jetpack?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I'm talking remote viewing like right now I'm 500 miles away and I can see the security cameras over the internet and playback the DVR.

When I get back I want good WiFi in the rear bedroom for that I will need a range extender the Modem or DVR can not be relocated.
Garry1p

454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

MrWizard
Are you talking security cameras,
And checking them from the bedroom so you don't have to get out of bed ?

If so, wouldn't wire thru the basement to the rear bedroom give a more solid connection and a simpler solution
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s