cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor cell service

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are currently at a thousand trails in Acton CA. No cell service for our T-Mobile phones. Up where the bars show it goes to ‘SOS’. And when we drive out we have to turn the phone off and back on before it gets a signal again. Never seen the SOS thing before.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
4 REPLIES 4

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Some phones have the ability to use an alternative network or even satalite service for 9-1-1 Emergency (SOS) calls. This is a new feature of the latest phones....

All US cell phones have had the ability to make 911 calls without a service plan since the 1990's. All that's needed is a connection to any cell tower serviced by any carrier per FCC regulations.

How Can a Smartphone Always Make Emergency Calls?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Some phones have the ability to use an alternative network or even satalite service for 9-1-1 Emergency (SOS) calls. This is a new feature of the latest phones....

For best Cell service you still need two competing carriers or a phone and account that has the ability to use an alternative service... T-Mobile used to have a mutual agreement with AT&T though of late I've seen Verizon as the alternate.. So without asking T-mobile.. I'm not sure which, If any, their alternative provider is (you may have to pay a roaming charge for the alternative service if used and may not have DATA access)

my earlier post explains the SOS.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

For best Cell service you still need two competing carriers or a phone and account that has the ability to use an alternative service... T-Mobile used to have a mutual agreement with AT&T though of late I've seen Verizon as the alternate.. So without asking T-mobile.. I'm not sure which, If any, their alternative provider is (you may have to pay a roaming charge for the alternative service if used and may not have DATA access)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
found this.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle