Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T-Mobile Gripes

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I signed up for T-Mobile 2 months ago. The service is good, but I feel
i was conned by the store employee when he gave me some false info. I was told I would receive a free Samsung Galaxy A14 5G smartphone. I got the phone and even though I wasn't technically paying for it, I learned it was being paid off gradually in small increments, and wouldn't be totally free and unlocked for 2 years. That's an interesting ploy to keep a customer on their plan for 2 years. The store employee never mentioned this. I do understand now why they do this. It's reasonable to assume that a person could sign up for the service, get the phone, and then cancel and keep the phone.

2nd Gripe. According to their advertising, I expected to receive a gift card after signing up. Nothing happened. Upon asking customer service what was going on I was informed that I needed to sign up for a higher cost plan ($20 more/month). Ihis was never mentioned in their advertising, nor by their employee. My current plan is sufficient for my needs, and paying #20 more/month would effectively negate the gift card (worth $200).

I'm usually more careful when dealing with businesses, and don't usually get scammed. I let my guard down on this one, although I do understand why T-Mobile has this practice. I would have stayed with my previous carrier (Verizon), where I was paying only $35/month for generally good service, but my smart phone was getting pretty old and I t6hought getting a free phone from another cell company was a good idea. LESSON LEARNED. BTW, the Samsung Galaxy A14 5G is a great device, and I'm happy with that, at least. Plus the T-Mobile cell service is also working well. I'll just continue on and won't let a simple error ruin my life. :C
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
14 REPLIES 14

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. On a POSITIVE note, I'd like to say that T-Mobile's service has been very good thus far, plus their customer service people have been very courteous and helpful when I had questions (and, I think they're US based). Additionally, I like my Samsung Galaxy A14 5G phone; quite an upgrade from my old Samsung J3 model.

MrWizard
My last upgrade renewal was in r July 2012, Verizon and Ramona got the new phone on her line, 16 months ago, i ported my number to Visible dropped the second line, and I'm paying $25 month for my phone on Visible, a year ago i got the T-Mobile home internet gateway unlimited data 4g 5g service $50 month, and I'm very happy with both, the Verizon phones were costing me over $140 month, att internet was $39 month, now i pay $75 month total
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

This has been my understanding with all the three mobile carriers. The reason you sign a term contract is to pay off the phone you received up front for no cost, or at a reduced rate. They lock the phones to their network until the contract is fulfilled, or cancellation fee paid.

Whereas mobile services that operate on month-to-month basis don't give a free 'unlocked' phone, as you could simply go to another carrier.

I stopped signing mobile contracts over 15+ years ago and either bring my own phone, generally bought from Ebay, or buy carrier's phone outright. This is why Visible owned by Verizon can charge $25./month with unlimited 4G/5G data/calls/texts for mobile service only.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I agree with all the comments. I just kick myself for not sticking with Verizon, where I had been for years, and paying only $35/month for good service. As I get older (almost 79 now), my thinking ability isn't quite as sharp; besides, having had a stroke doesn't help. I'll just need to chalk this up as a bad experience and continue living my life as well as I can. Thanks for all the comments. :C

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We also have the T-Mobile Seniors plan, for years - travelled all over the country, and at home in Florida. We connected to hotspot often, even when we are home and lose our home internet for periods of time.

Never had an issue - two phones - don't know if it's ever been throttled, and probably can't tell anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ ... we've never paid more than the monthly fee, and when we got a new phone at the renewal time, did not pay anything for the free phone nor did our monthly bill change.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CWilson wrote:

Good luck with that as they spell it all out in the contract which you agree to and they paste it all over the store and website if you care to read the terms. You're paying for it somewhere,

Oh I'm not holding my breath or anything like that but I've seen a lot of class actions not much diffferent... The Mouse print in the contract was in conflict with the add.

Oh someone ask how much data is inluded in the T-Mobile plan.
I have the 55+ plan and it's "All I can eat" data wise though there is a "Throttle point" as I recall (In all the years I've had T-mobile I only got throttled one.. April 2013... My Wife died on Mar 31 that year and all the blasted paperwork we had to E-mail back and forth..between assorted Government and corporate offices I hit the cap) But even then the throttled rate was only slightly noticable.. My computers were still the limiting factor on the download rates.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Yall can thank us oldtimers for paying for the buildout of all the towers and great coverage now available to you.

LOL, Seriously? Did you have to walk to school in 2' of snow with no shoes, uphill both ways? With the prices of cell plans I am fairly sure newtimers have paid their fair share for buildout of towers and great coverage available to them.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I've been buying my cell phones since 1993 except when one was stolen Of course when I reported that to the carrier they were more than happy to supply me with a new one for just extending my contract. Back then there weren't the choices as today often only had one carrier or none and talk about dead zones. Yall can thank us oldtimers for paying for the buildout of all the towers and great coverage now available to you. I was paying $49 a month for 50 minutes of service in '93' now get unlimited talk, text and data for $45. as far as talk and text 97.99% of that is spam.

Like insurance companies you got to move every few years to get the best rate. Same way with phone companies.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Yup they give you the phone for "Free" but really they finance it and you pay for it like $10.00/month for 2 years.... I've noticed that too.

Noticed it with other carriers as well

Waiting for Class Action Lawyers R us to jump on it then I'll get my $200 back less their cut of course.

Good luck with that as they spell it all out in the contract which you agree to and they paste it all over the store and website if you care to read the terms. You're paying for it somewhere, there is no free lunch. Typically they give you back a "bill credit" monthly. The intent is to lock you in to a 24 month contract.

It's way easier than all of that. The OP wanted a Samsung A14. You can buy one of those unlocked outright at Amazon for about $170.00 and even cheaper on Ebay.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup they give you the phone for "Free" but really they finance it and you pay for it like $10.00/month for 2 years.... I've noticed that too.

Noticed it with other carriers as well

Waiting for Class Action Lawyers R us to jump on it then I'll get my $200 back less their cut of course.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next time you need to change carriers check out Consumer Cellular. Same coverage as the โ€œbig guys โ€œ, cheaper, and have good customer service. A few years ago we switched from Verizon to Spectrum. Had great service, already a cable and internet customer. But they introduced new pricing and did not offer it to long term customers. Switched to CC and have not looked back.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rule number one: ALWAYS read the contract/TOC. Legally, as long as those were disclosed in the contract, they did nothing wrong.

Being on an RV forum, you have most likely learned not to trust what salesman say. Everything is like that. Do your homework and read the contracts BEFORE signing.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Been with TM for a few years now and have very little to complain about. 24 month equipment plans where they charge and then credit are pretty much the norm for them. Can't address your gift card issue. I think that I got one when I first switched and it worked as advertised.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr Ed,

May I ask how much data comes with the plan?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.