cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY electrical system

GregA
Explorer
Explorer
So.. I have a pickup camper and want to create an additional charging system. My truck has two "trailer" hookups. I assume one is for the Camper and the other for a trailer.

I'd like to use the trailer receptacle to create a separate system to charge 2 12V batteries to run underbelly heaters. I routinely camp in -20F.

It would be great to "mount" this system on a hitch rack too (thus removable).

Anyone done anything similar or know how I would go about it?

Thanks-Greg
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Just get a 7-pin connector and use the B+ and ground terminals to connect to the additional battery. I did this years ago with my pop-up trailer.

Well that should work like a charm.....lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just get a 7-pin connector and use the B+ and ground terminals to connect to the additional battery. I did this years ago with my pop-up trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And the "2 trailer hookups" share the same power source, literally.

You can wire in a big DC DC charger and use your truck as a very expensive battery charger, or you can use a generator.

If you routinely camp at -20F, I'd think you'd already understand the virtues, correction, necessity, for a generator.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Any vehicle charging system will not fully charge your auxiliary battery unless you you are using a DC-DC charger.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wiring will not support using both at the same time. It is either one or the other. There is minimal current available for keeping a battery charged when driving.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ll freeze your batteries at 60% SOC with a temperature of -16F or there about.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
In -20F conditions you need to insulate the batteries for them to provide anywhere near their rated capacity. Be concerned with the batteries freezing too when significantly discharged. If the batteries are AGM or Lithium they could be inside the RV with you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad