cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery powered remote switch for 12 V system.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I often go to bed with our fantastic vent running so I can cool off and fall asleep. In our old camper, our fantastic vent had a thermostat so the fan would turn itself off when it cooled down.

This camper does not have one and I find myself waking up in the middle of the night because I'm too cold. I know I can upgrade the panel, but that is rather expensive. Until I am ready to fork over the cash, I was hoping to put in a simple 12 override relay that I can control with a battery operated remote.

I can't seem to locate one so I was hoping someone here could point me to it.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.
6 REPLIES 6

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Why the relay? Is the current too much for the t-stat?
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
Why not get a cheap thermostat from Home Depot and a DPDT relay?
Tell me more.....
Just a cheep thermostat, Heat only works if that's all there is. That simply controls a 12V relay with Double Pole Double Throw contacts (SPDT works too). set the temp to whatever you want, 75 degrees... If it's a heat only stat, when the temp is met, the stat opens. Simply wire the relay to control the fan on and off.

I've built many of these into repeater cabinets and left on remote radio sites for years before they are ever seen again. It's just brute force switching that just works.

Stat: Home Depot, etc.
Relay: any surplus store. Www.allelectronics.com. Is a good place to start
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Tell me more.....

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MrWizard
ebay $4.95

ebay $10.98

4ch amazon $8.95
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Quit looking, I found what I was looking for. For any others, I found what I was looking for by searching for wireless driving light relays.