cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where are the snow birds ?

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Last week we traveled from the NC mountains to Florida via I26 and I95 and only saw a few RV's heading south

Guy
15 REPLIES 15

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dusty R wrote:
When is the best day/time to drive through Atlanta, Ga?

There are no best times. Honestly sometimes I think its best when traffic is busy, and you just pick a lane and go with the flow. When traffic is light they drive like maniacs. I picked my wife up at the airport about 11pm the other week, and I was running 80mph, and was passed 3-4 times by people doing probably 100mph weaving through traffic. That doesn't count the Charger that came by being chased by 5 cop cars.

You never know when you will hit construction or a wreck. Just hit it with a full tank of fuel, and an empty bladder and hope for the best :).
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The last two years it was cheaper to fly. I do have a place to stay when I arrive.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Through Atlanta best is midnight to 3am.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
When is the best day/time to drive through Atlanta, Ga?

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
We leave a couple days before Turkey day. Then family hop and get in Dec 1.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
If your traveling south, you won't see many other RV's doing the same. Now if you were traveling north, you would pass a lot more going the other way.
This. Drove down from PNW to AZ last week. Plenty of rvโ€™s on the road, packed up like theyโ€™re staying a while.
And Kanab, Page, Flag, Payson areas jammed with active rvโ€™ers (best season there for that, of course)

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your traveling south, you won't see many other RV's doing the same. Now if you were traveling north, you would pass a lot more going the other way.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Typically the first big wave of Snowbirds hit the road a few days after Thanksgiving. Many celebrate Christmas at Thanksgiving with families then get out of Dodge until Spring, 2nd big wave is a few days after Christmas.
pawatt

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been in Florida since late September. Been here on Sanibel Island since the 1st of Oct. Head over to our Winter Park on the 1st of Nov.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
It's still a bit early for most snowbirds. We don't leave until after Thanksgiving and try to get to our Florida park by December 1st. Even when we get to our campground there are always plenty of empty spots. Late December and early January is when things get busier.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe higher fuel and RV site price increases playing into it?
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
navigator2346, have a safe trip.

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
We can't leave until after Christmas or our grandkids would disown us!
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Headed south on Monday and should be in Yuma in 10 days or so