cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Cover before snowbirding

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to search this but cover returns a million things.

So we live in SW NH and snowbird in FL but due to work, we can't leave until Dec 1st

We can get several snow storms before we depart and I wont dive with any snow on the roof (weight and illegal) So after each storm I like to clear the snow to keep it from compacting and freezing. This can become a lot of work with many storms and I worry I will damage the roof or roof fixtures.

I have tried "run the heat to 80 and it will melt" it doesn't here

I have an ADCO cover that came with the 5th wheel but I am nervous to put it on because I fear it might be impossible to get off. Possibly freeze to the roof. or become very stiff heavy.

Any thoughts
Jon

RV Web Site | 50 Night Cross Country Trip
Our Solar Install | Roof Replacement Project

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

2010 Keystone Everest 348R
30 REPLIES 30

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Careful. Donโ€™t get someone upsetteded by suggesting a plastic tarpโ€ฆ.lol.
I mean no one wants something waterproof that snow and ice slides off of very easilyโ€ฆ.apparentlyโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 5er looks like it will spend it's second winter outdoors this winter. Mid Atlantic so not much snow and not often freezing temps.

I covered it last year with two HD tarps that covered it over halfway to the ground. Would have preferred indoor storage of course but trailer is 15 years old, well taken care of but showing age and miles.

A good tarp, not the cheap blue ones, well tied down to prevent chafe should be fine.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^lol
No, Jerryโ€™s the good guyโ€ฆ. Not like me and ole cumminsโ€ฆ.hahaha
PS , to stay on topic, Iโ€™d still use a tarp or not worry about it (actually).

dedmiston
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^At the risk of upsetting someone again or still, Iโ€™ll again suggest the plastic tarp on top.
Still requires you to keep up with it or deal with the mess of multiple snows like you mentioned above. But everything slides off easier. Even if you get some melted/re-frozen chucks, they donโ€™t stick to the tarp and slide right off.
You could also just layout a few runs of sno melt cord up there. But I could see that only being partially effective and potentially creating ice dams and/or big ole icicles tugging on the roof material and gutters and anything else they freeze to.

Grit , it just keeps getting better , keep up the good ideas . :B

Don't tell Dave that I said this...seems often times trolling/troublemaking is initiated by RAM owners.

Anonymous

Looks like somebody's begging to get banned. It's been nice knowing you, Jerry. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^At the risk of upsetting someone again or still, Iโ€™ll again suggest the plastic tarp on top.
Still requires you to keep up with it or deal with the mess of multiple snows like you mentioned above. But everything slides off easier. Even if you get some melted/re-frozen chucks, they donโ€™t stick to the tarp and slide right off.
You could also just layout a few runs of sno melt cord up there. But I could see that only being partially effective and potentially creating ice dams and/or big ole icicles tugging on the roof material and gutters and anything else they freeze to.

Don't tell Dave that I said this...seems often times trolling/troublemaking is initiated by RAM owners.

Anonymous

Jerry , Gotta have a little fun , now which Ram owner are you referring to . :B

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Anonymous

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
jmanatee wrote:
Just to clarify, I have no problems leaving the snow on the roof if we are not traveling for the winter,... Its only if I am going to move it in winter.

If it were only a few dusting I wouldn't mind clearing it a few times before leaving. But the next town over jokes they are little Alaska.

From mid Oct to Dec 1st we can get several good snow falls 6" plus. One year it was enough that I had trouble setting up the ladder in all the snow besides the camper.

In the past we get some daytime warm ups, not warm enough to totally melt all the snow but enough to melt it down and turn it in to 2" of crusty like snow. Odd but the ground will be totally melted off. I assume because its still holding heat.

One year I made the mistake of letting it sit there until just before leaving I won't do that again.

I was hoping someone would have a trick to solve this but I guess I will just keep climbing a ladder and clean it after every storm.

Hopefully Mother Nature is Kind this year.

Thanks for all the input.

I faced the same dilemma a few times going to Arizona in the winter ,no real easy solutions , some think it is , it's not . IMO unless a covered storage ,just stay ahead of it . Plastic tarps ,or any cover is really not the solution IMO . I am not a young man in my 50's anymore , so I just stay in the middle ,and sweep it off both sides . As far as my 8/12 roof I can still handle cleaning rain gutters in the rain , but it it isn't 10/12 . :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
jmanatee wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
The cover will just complicate the matter , getting the snow off the cover would probably be harder to do than the roof itself , plus the fact you most likely will ruin the cover . Iโ€™ve had the same issue here in Utah , I get right up there , and sweep it off with a heavy push broom . IMO just stay ahead of it .

Thanks for the info. I have always done it from the sides on a ladder, How slippery is the rubber in winter?

The rubber isnโ€™t any more slippery, but the snow and ice is the same as anywhere else you :)might walk on itโ€ฆ.
Iโ€™ll presume youโ€™ve never covered it before. A frozen rv cover will not come off easily especially with a buildup of snow and some freeze thaw/ice on it.
Not to mention how to deal with it once itโ€™s off and wet/frozen.
Since you said covered storage isnโ€™t an option, Either sweep the fresh snow off it a few times potentially like you said you already do, or put a plastic tarp over the roof. And find something else to worry about besides a little snow blowing/melting off the roof when you leave town.

Grit , apparently in your short life you havenโ€™t dealt much with snow being on the roof of an Rv . Get up there there sometime and deal with a bit of snow especially if left on there for awhile in the cold . You youngsters everything is simple . Iโ€™d invite you over , Iโ€™ll cover with a tarp , and let you deal with 6-12 inches of new snow , and you can pull the tarp off . I believe that was one of your great suggestions.

I believe it was my suggestion. But if have to tell you to pull most of the snow off first, I can see why youโ€™re having trouble keeping up.
Youโ€™re right though. Not much snow in Alaska them couple winters I didnโ€™t have a shop to store the camper in.
Hence my suggestion about the tarp. Snow sticks to a soft cover, doesnโ€™t to a tarp. And yes walking on snow on a greased cookie sheet (plastic tarp) is pretty much a non starter. But it sure slides off easily when youโ€™re standing next to the camper on a step ladder with a push broom. I mean, like, I thinkโ€ฆI watched a couple YouTube videosโ€ฆ.
If only I knew how to deal with snowโ€ฆ.Maybe when I grow up and get more than 20 something years in the upper Midwest, a good decade plus in the Rockies, same in the Cascades and a couple years on the N Slope of AK and Anchorage Iโ€™ll figure it outโ€ฆ.
Generally unlucky enough to be movin dirt or pouring concrete during the winter since it donโ€™t snow much in those places, lol.
I did spend a couple years in Phoenix thoughโ€ฆ.probably why my lack of experience is showingโ€ฆ.

I quote your words " Either sweep the fresh snow off it a few times potentially like you said you already do, My suggestion on my first post on this matter . Rest of your quote " or put a plastic
tarp over the roof .

Now as you said I am having trouble keeping up , but all wanted is to invite you over with the plastic tarp or whatever you want to cover the roof with ,and it snowed a foot last night ,and I need to leave for Arizona this morning , and I got a foot of snow on top of that plastic tarp you suggested , or just some advice what to do .

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify, I have no problems leaving the snow on the roof if we are not traveling for the winter,... Its only if I am going to move it in winter.

If it were only a few dusting I wouldn't mind clearing it a few times before leaving. But the next town over jokes they are little Alaska.

From mid Oct to Dec 1st we can get several good snow falls 6" plus. One year it was enough that I had trouble setting up the ladder in all the snow besides the camper.

In the past we get some daytime warm ups, not warm enough to totally melt all the snow but enough to melt it down and turn it in to 2" of crusty like snow. Odd but the ground will be totally melted off. I assume because its still holding heat.

One year I made the mistake of letting it sit there until just before leaving I won't do that again.

I was hoping someone would have a trick to solve this but I guess I will just keep climbing a ladder and clean it after every storm.

Hopefully Mother Nature is Kind this year.

Thanks for all the input.
Jon

RV Web Site | 50 Night Cross Country Trip
Our Solar Install | Roof Replacement Project

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

2010 Keystone Everest 348R

dedmiston
I'm surprised by the amount of rancor over a topic like this.

Everyone please remember to play nice and treat each other with respect, even when you disagree.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jmanatee wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Thoughts? First world problems.
Solutions? Cover it, clear snow or go put it in covered storage for a month r 2 if itโ€™s that concerning.
Or strap a tarp over it you can just pull off and go.
Personally, barring a huge buildup of snow/ice, youโ€™re being finicky since the other 10 million trailers that hit the roads in the winter just let the snow blow off of them. Besides itโ€™ll all melt off in a day r 2.
Or quit looking at the Famers Almanacโ€ฆ

This is from experience in my area, The snow doesn't blow off or melt off.. I have to remove it as each storm occurs (a pain) or just before leaving (way worse). We often get several inches to feet before dec 1 so I would never try to drive with that much snow on the roof.

Respectfully, I wasnโ€™t suggesting to let โ€œfeetโ€ of snow accumulate, not just for driving but for the RV structure itself.
Youโ€™re leaving Dec 1 not Mar 1. What is your real risk here? Having to broom off some snow a few times?
If you canโ€™t find covered storage and wonโ€™t use the RV cover (good call btw, it could/will likely be another issue to deal with if youโ€™d have to pull it and then also dry/store it.), especially with a little accumulation and then a freeze thaw cycle. Then youโ€™re out of magic solutions. Deal with the few snows, hope Murphyโ€™s law doesnโ€™t produce record early season snowfall, and if it does, clear it off a couple more times.

I was only suggesting that some leftover or not too deep of snow on the roof will be no issue when you take off for FLA.
Youโ€™re good and by Dec 3, it will be only a memory and a small puddle somewhere.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I would rather walk on a snow covered RV roof, than snow covered tarp/cover on RV roof...

I DO NOT cover and never have... IF I will be going out soon, I make sure I go up with a bower and remove what I can.. ONLY if it is gonna melt-re freeze ect.... that **** is a pain to get off.

If I am not going anywhere soon, I let father sun take care of it

I agree ,don't give that stuff a chance to melt a bit ,and freeze underneath if you need to use the fifth wheel. I just stay ahead of it, if I have plans to go .