cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

skidaway island state park

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone been here? we have a 40 ft 5th wheel. please give reviews.

or pictures
16 REPLIES 16

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Skidway is getting pretty expensive for a state park. You might want to look into Red Gate Farms, the closest campground to the city. Not a lot of trees, easy in and easy out to 95.

FYI, the island got whacked pretty good in the storm. Lots of cleaning up adn trimming occurred. You'll be fine if you stay there.

deejay41
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful park near historic Savannah.
Stayed there 2 yrs ago, and it was great.
Lots of trees with Spanish moss, pull-thru sites, full hook-ups with cable.
Great location to explore Savannah, and Tybee Island
Will definitely stay again when in Savannah.
US Air Force (retired)
Tiffin Allegro Bus Class A
Cat Diesel Pusher
Blue Ox Aventa 2 w/ Brake Buddy
Dodge Dakota - Toad

Have Dogs-Will Travel

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a full hookup site in the middle that's a pull through you'll be fine. If you get one across from the pull through over by the cabins that's where it's a tight windy barely a one lane rd with trees all over.

And they were cutting up stuff when I was there in December. There were a ton of trees that came down in that storm.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
On our trip earlier this week, they had crews in there trimming a lot of limbs and cleaning up after Matthew. I never came near any limbs at all.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to Skidaway from my BLOG
We had no problems at all with our 37 ft 5th wheel.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from there. Excellent park, large nice sites. Not all have full hook up. Very beautiful place. Will definitely go back.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed last July in a pull-thru FHU site. We have a 40' MH with toad. We had plenty of space. Thought it was a nice place.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are campsite photos:

http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Skidaway-Island-State-Park
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never been. They have an access charge to enter... even if you just want to look at the campground. There are several other adequate campgrounds with close proximity to Savannah that don't charge you just to see the park.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Rangerman above. We were lucky and had a great spot.We were in a 40' DP. One loop I remember was close turning because of trees by the road, but we managed to get by. We had a nice site in the middle that was a pullthru and was very nice.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I was just there for Christmas in my 40ft fifth wheel. Try to snag one of the full hookup pull through near the front or it's gonna get a little tight. Even on my way out of the loop I was on I rubbed some palm tree frons that put some scratches down the side of my fifth wheel. The road was to tight, to curvy, and trees to close to get out unscathed. With that said I'd go back in a heartbeat. It's a little bit of a drive from downtown, but it's a nice park.

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
One reserves a category of campsites, not a specific site. So, with a big rig you may want to time your arrival (if you can), trying for a time when there are an abundance of sites for which to select. I would not want to arrive in a big rig and have to navigate into the last available site (there is usually a reason others passed it by).

As I recall, the full book up sites seemed larger on average than the w/e ones. We had a long easy pull through site.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there a few years ago, a nice park but pretty far out. There were some big places but we had a small TT. Think we had a full hookup.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed there in 2015, albeit not with a 40+ ft 5er. Had my smaller (24 ft TT), but I thought there were ample spots that were good size and easy access. The slot I had was full hook up as I recall, and would easily have acommodated you.

I didn't have any significant issue with access or roads being super narrow, that I recall.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS