Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delaware and Maryland camping help

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning!
We are visiting Western Maryland for 4 nights from 7/2-7/6, then going to the Delaware coast from 7/6-7/10. We need full hookup sites. We want to see the mountains and ocean during this trip.

Maryland-
I found River & Trail outfitters in Brunswick, which offers RV camping and whitewater rafting/tubing together. It says it's close to 3 National Park areas as well, which we always love. I'm wondering what you guys suggest for "must do" things in this area? Or is there a better place to camp?

Delaware-
I'm wondering where the best area to camp is on the coast for access to day trips and the like, that offers water front camp sites. In researching, it's been tough to find full hookup sites along the coast during this busy time. I found a nice CG (Treasure Beach) in the far south near Fenwick Island. It looks like a gorgeous area but I want to see if that's a good spot for a 4 day camp. Perhaps it's better to stay closer to the middle of the State so we can experience more?

Any ideas are appreciated!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
9 REPLIES 9

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Delaware Seashore State Park. Not many amenities but a great home base and you can walk (1/4 mile) to the beach. You may have trouble getting in anywhere at the beach though at this point. Possibly tues-Thursday but Friday-Monday's are long gone most places.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
alesis wrote:

Iโ€™m not set on Brunswick per so, but I liked the campground/white water rafting in one location. However the proximity to the train is a concern as well.

go to google street view and check out the campground. you don't have to stay there to do the rafting.
bumpy

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
In Delaware you want Delaware Sea shore park. State park full hooks ups walking distance to beach. Masseys Landing is not a bad high $$ alternative.
Next choice is further south in OC, MD. Frontier town or Castaways.
Western, MD consider further west Deep Creek Area. You can stay at Deep Creek State Park or Double G Campground.
If you are set on the Brunswick Harpers Ferry Area try Harpers Ferry KOA.
A bit small and tight but in a great location to see the attractions.
You may want to consider the Gettysburg PA area. Close to western MD with a lot more campground choices.

Hello! In the Western MD area you suggested, is there much to do? I like western/central area, at least by map, for proximity to national park lands to go see. What would I be looking at as far as drive time from the area you suggested to those attractions?
Iโ€™m not set on Brunswick per so, but I liked the campground/white water rafting in one location. However the proximity to the train is a concern as well.
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
In Delaware you want Delaware Sea shore park. State park full hooks ups walking distance to beach. Masseys Landing is not a bad high $$ alternative.
Next choice is further south in OC, MD. Frontier town or Castaways.
Western, MD consider further west Deep Creek Area. You can stay at Deep Creek State Park or Double G Campground.
If you are set on the Brunswick Harpers Ferry Area try Harpers Ferry KOA.
A bit small and tight but in a great location to see the attractions.
You may want to consider the Gettysburg PA area. Close to western MD with a lot more campground choices.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep searching. There are a bunch of CGs on the Eastern Shore. My home turf so to speak but we stick to the SPs such as Martinak in Denton, MD, Killens Pond SP, S of Dover, DE. & Assateague Nat Seashore S of Ocean City.

There are private CGs also but, as pointed out already, few give value for money. 4-5 nights should not be a big deal without FHU.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you like biking then Brunswick is right on the C&O canal, but not a great campground. It is back a dirt road that gets muddy if it rains. Harpers Ferry is nearby as well as civil war parks. Nearby is the Harpers Ferry KOA that is OK, some sites are cramped.

The KOA near Williamsport is one that I won't revisit, the road is poor and you better follow the directions on their website. That is the only place I ever received damage to my truck since they parked me on a hill in a direct firing line of kids with out of control bicycles.

The Yogi Bear is a high priced race track of every kind of wheeled vehicle going past your site every 2.3 seconds keeping the dust stirred up to block out the sun. Won't catch me there again.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We will be out there during the same time. In DE we are staying at Lighthouse Beach camping resort in Millsboro. There is also Masseys Landing just down the road, but I just couldn't justify the price per night, and I have no issues with higher prices, I just didn't see anything there worth it.
In MD there is Castaways. Again very pricey.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think the River & Trail outfitters in Brunswick manages the Brunswick campground which is NOT a destination campground. there is a KOA and a yogi bear in that vicinity which would be preferable. if you decide on the KOA, IIRC their site says to NOT follow GPS directions, follow their printed ones.

bumpy

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in Fenwick Beach, you are about 30 minutes north of Ocean City, MD. You can experience EVERYTHING there. You will also be about an hour and a half north of Assateague and Chincoteague.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW