Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Diego Area For Two Months

debrick
Explorer
Explorer
We're Headed West For Two Months!

Hubby and I are long time recreational campers.

We have lived in Northern KY for the past 20 years (14 in South Florida--grew up in MN -- 3 yrs in Houston)

My company opened an office in El Cajon last August-- I have been flying out there monthly since August and am needed on a more regular basis so I offered to drive out there with our Fifth Wheel and stay for two months. Our future goal is to spend winters in the RV somewhere warmer when we retire so, this will be a good trial run.

Hubby will be working remotely from the RV while I go to the office each day.

Looking for suggestions as to where to stay in the El Cajon / San Diego Area. Since I will be going to our office in El Cajon each day, I would like to keep the drive to 30 minutes each way so I have more time in the evenings to explore.

I have really enjoyed the are the past 6 months on my monthly trips but have not seen much more than the downtown area (where I usually stay) and my office.

We are hoping to take weekend trips while we are there as well.

It is the two of us and our Boston Terrier in a 40' Fifth Wheel.

Looking for suggestions on where to stay--I would like somewhere nice that has amenities (pool, laundry)as well as at least a small space for dining/lounging outside.

I really appreciate any input on possible places to stay as well as opinions on the route out there from Northern KY (10 miles south of Cincinnati, OH I75)

Thank You in Advance!
14 REPLIES 14

debrick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sgeorge--we will check out those parks!

debrick
Explorer
Explorer
KOA Chula Vista didn't offer a two month stay that time of year

Hockeytchr
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA in Chula Vista was nice, we stayed there in 2016.
2015 Keystone Hideout 38fqds
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercrew
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercab
2005 Club Car
2009 Polaris Ranger Crew
2015 Polaris RZR 900S
1995 17' Gilgetter Pontoon

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your stay neighbor, I'll probably be able to see your trailer from my back deck. If your looking for some short weekend trips that will be close to you, checkout the San Diego County Parks. We like William Heise, and Lake Morena. PM me if you have any questions about the area.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

debrick
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up booking at Oak Creek

I did check out all that were suggested (plus several more)--thank you all!

Oak Creek was the only one with a 2 month availability for our size Fifth Wheel.

The only other option was San Diego RV Resort-- since I will be working (and need to get some sleep) I think this will be quieter.

Our site will back to green space so, that will at least give us no one behind and a little more room.

I will be working Monday thru Friday when we are there but I think this will give us a good home base for our adventures.

We leave Wednesday--we are super excited--this is the furthest that we have gone one way so, hopefully we will still be married when we get there--lol

hwy395lvr
Explorer
Explorer
Another option would be Lake Jennings in Lakeside. Less than
15 minutes to El Cajon in favorable traffic.Nice views from above the lake.They offer long term camping for up to 6 months.
"In every walk with Nature,one receives far more than he seeks"-
John Muir

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Santee Lakes would be my first choice. Oak Creek RV park is a few hundred yards from my driveway and is clean and well run. Spaces are tight like many commercial parks. It is a 10 minute drive to El Cajon, I make it everyday.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Circle. not a bad place but TIGHT for my 40. It and a couple of others in the area were built long ago before rigs got big and sprouted slides, hence the tight proximity. TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Rancho Los Coches

13468 Hwy 8 Business
Lakeside, CA 92040
619-443-2025

Minutes from El Cajon...yet away from the highway....and quiet.
We have stayed there numerous times over the years.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Mar-Tar-Awa RV resort out by Alpine. It was relaxing and not all that far away from El Cajon if you want to be out of the city.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Santee Lakes.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
For long term maybe Santee Lakes not far from El Cajon,about 8 miles. Nice place with fishing and I have seen a quite a few long term campers and it is kept up nicely.

Maybe on your next trip out to the office stop by and check it out.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Close would be Circle RV Resort or Vacationer RV Resort

The best is Chula Vista RV Resort and Marina (It's on San Diego Bay)....the drive would be more than a 30 minutes to El Cajon.

I-40 and then cut down to I-10 in Albuquerque in Phoenix cut down to I-8 and take it into El Cajon. There is a pretty good climb on I-8 as you leave the desert just past Ocotillo, CA.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SD posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman