cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DeadWood

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I know there will be varying thoughts on this but I am curious as to what cg's you like/dislike in the Deadwood SD area.

We are spending three months on the Outer Banks this spring/early summer and then planning on another two to three months in this area. I am thinking of waiting until the Sturgis bike rally is over and kids are back in school before arriving.

We want full hookups and don't care whether pull thru or back in.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023
18 REPLIES 18

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III

We have stayed at several cg's in the Black Hills.  Chris' Camp in Spearfish is a very nice RV campground (not a resort), Steel Wheel RV park is nice but has a LOT of ATV/UTV traffic, Kemp's Kamp near Keystone, and many others.  I don't want to be entertained while on vacation so I avoid places that attempt to do that.

Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

CaptTango
Explorer
Explorer

We stayed at Holy Smoke RV Park in Keystone, SD.  Long pull thru with full service. Central location for the many area points of interest .

Iron Mountain Road (16A) is a must do. You will encounter tunnels, pigtail bridges, superb lookouts and 314 curves. It is a scenic delight! The most magical moment of the drive is the view through the Scovel Tunnel where 4 presidential faces greet you at the other end, like a postcard.  That leads you to Custer State Park loop and gets you close up bison encounters.  Enjoy

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad

I know you were planning on the Deadwood area, but! You said maybe the September time frame to visit the area, if so let me suggest this. The Buffalo Round Up in Custer NP is a must see and bucket list item. It would be ashame to be in the area and not to see this get event.

Let me then suggest staying at Fort WeLikit  in the town of Custer

Black HIlls Campgrounds | Fort Welikit Family Campground (blackhillsrv.com)

I know  Custer is a little south of Deadwood but thought it might interest you. 

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

We really like Mystic Hills Hideaway.  It's about 10 miles south of Deadwood but it's more like staying in a USFS campground rather than an RV park.  We have a 40' toyhauler and sites are easy to get in and out of. 

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

mrshane
Explorer II
Explorer II

You can check out Hidden valley CG or Whistler Gulch CG

mrshane
Explorer II
Explorer II

Look for Hidden valley CG or Whistler Gulch Cg

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the suggestions. Avoiding the area during bike week is a big one for us. I expected August might have been crowded so we may have to settle for the month of September. I had rather be caught in snow than in a crowd. Of course there is always next June if push comes to shove. Thanks again.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I would suggest looking in Sturgis. There is numerous CGs there.

But unless you are a motorcycle fan you should avoid the area in August. The rally fills everything up for miles in every direction.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well kept secret, but Spearfish City park is a great place. Next door to a historic trout hatchery. At the north end of Spearfish Canyon and Spearfish creek flows through it. It is close to I-90 and easy drive to Deadwood and Sturgis. Spearfish is becoming the center of activity area with restaurants and shopping.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spearfish City CG looked nice when I stopped there... didn't stay as were were already at a different CG for the rally. Elkhorn Ridge has been mentioned by others-- high end resort.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
Some friends own Custer Crazy Horse campground, they usually stay open later than others and are a real nice batch of people.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the Steel Wheel CG for a few days this past May. The whole area is an ATV Mecca. Our purpose for stopping was a rodeo in Deadwood plus a drive around some of the scenic roads. Not too bad early in the season. Hate to think what it is like in high season.

While in the area be sure to do at least a few nights in the BLM camping area south of Wall, just north of the entrance to the Badlands NP. Magical. It is what RVing is all about.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lots of places close after the Labor day weekend. I'd start phoning in your shoes as if they are open now they may well be open in Sept/Oct.

Be prepared for snow.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.