cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monument Valley Tribal CG?

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if they have reopened the CG on tribal lands, or is Gouldings the only game in town?

If the CG is open, does it have hookups? Do you have to be there at te crack of dawn to get a spot?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. We left Moab yesterday, not entirely sure what our destination would be (we are slowly heading home after a 3 week trip through So Utah). Gouldings was high on the list. We drove through Blanding, but I did not want to stay the the RV park there (I am so over large gravel lots with a bit of grass). Same with Bluff. I had heard there were some 'first come' sites at Goosneck State Park, so we pulled in and set up about 10 feet from the rim. Easily the most gorgeous view I have ever had. It was very windy, but the wind seemed to die down so we took a long walk along the rim. Came back as the wind was kicking up. Ate lunch, and then decided that maybe this was not the place for us, so we tore down and headed to Gouldings, which was FULL. So, we decided to skip to the last stop on our trip. Greetings from Williams, AZ ๐Ÿ™‚ Off to see the Grand Canyon.

Monument Valley really needs that CG!

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
There are a couple of nice FHU campgrounds in nearby Bluff. Would suggest staying there and taking the short drive to MV. Be sure to visit the Twin Rocks Trading Post and eat the chicken noodle soup and fry bread at Twin Rocks Cafรฉ. About the best fry bread in the Four Corners. The Navajo Tacos are pretty darn good as well. The steak house is overpriced and not that good.

We also stayed at Cottonwood and found it OK, for MV we really preferred being closer to the park.

We had fry-bread at Twin Rocks and found it greasy. Gouldings was much better
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
The only issue I had at Gouldings was low voltage at peak use hours. Have to watch voltage meter.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Bruce_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I go along with Thunder Mountain concerning Bluff. Both Cottonwood and Cadillac RV Parks are good base camps for the area. And if you don't mind dry camping you can give Sand Island a shot. Sand Island is about 5 miles out of Bluff heading toward MV.

If you stay at Cadillac, be sure to talk to the owners about off beat areas to explore or talk with Steve or Barry at Twin Rocks. They are all a wealth of information.

And, finally, be sure to take a run through the Valley of the Gods and a drive up the Moki-Dugway. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, I too like the Navajo Tacos at the Twin Rocks Cafe, but, I think the Navajo Burger is better ๐Ÿ™‚

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of nice FHU campgrounds in nearby Bluff. Would suggest staying there and taking the short drive to MV. Be sure to visit the Twin Rocks Trading Post and eat the chicken noodle soup and fry bread at Twin Rocks Cafรฉ. About the best fry bread in the Four Corners. The Navajo Tacos are pretty darn good as well. The steak house is overpriced and not that good.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
cacoon wrote:
I was there 2 weeks ago. The area I believe you are talking about is right near where you would enter to drive the MV loop. I saw what appeared to be several new and being built cabins. I saw construction equipment all over. This was the same area where I saw RV's and trailers boon-docking 2 years ago. Two years ago i stayed at Goulding's and found it to be quite pleasant.

That sounds like the area where we were told the "new" park would be, sounds like it's "behind schedule"
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

cacoon
Explorer
Explorer
I was there 2 weeks ago. The area I believe you are talking about is right near where you would enter to drive the MV loop. I saw what appeared to be several new and being built cabins. I saw construction equipment all over. This was the same area where I saw RV's and trailers boon-docking 2 years ago. Two years ago i stayed at Goulding's and found it to be quite pleasant.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there last fall the tribal campground was being rebuilt, with a planned re-opening by the turn of the year.
I recently checked and found the web-site says it's still not open.
I suspect your only option, other then Gouldings, is calling the Tribe and asking.

Personally I found Gouldings to be completely acceptable.