cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dry camping in SW Utah

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Planning to possibly go to Utah next year. I’m wanting to dry camp in a spot like they did in the movie RV. I know it was a movie set p, but there has to be someplace like that accessible with a 37 foot class A. I’m out looking to go miles off road, maybe a 1/4 mile at most! Would love to camp around the rock formations for a couple days. Anyone know of any spots like that or a website that will show me the places I can stay? Anywhere from Arches south to monument valley, as well as the other NPs in the area.

Thanks.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
8 REPLIES 8

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Yes, that’s why I was asking for a place accessible to a full size class A. Don’t need to be getting stuck!

We've spent months in southern Utah boondocking on public lands. Places aren't hard to find. Get a map and go!

The Benchmark Utah atlas book is great for roads on public lands. We've gone in up to 20 miles on good gravel roads with our 40' motorhome. If in question, we took the Jeep to scout the road first. You won't find much if you only want to drive 1/4 mile.

https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/product/utah-road-recreation-atlas

Here's a good post for the Moab area: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29448394.cfm

and another... https://www.discovermoab.com/blm-campgrounds/

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
We go to Utah all the time, just got back from a 12 day trip of Utah and Arizona. Right outside of Arches National park is a lot of free places to camp. We always go in early May before it gets to hot, the main thing is always check the weather by Vail we had to dodge a snow storm on the way home.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
Be careful there is a lot of soft sand in Utah, unless your class A is 4 wheel drive. I love going to the Moab area and south of there, also check the weather it gets hot early.

Yes, that’s why I was asking for a place accessible to a full size class A. Don’t need to be getting stuck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
Arches N.P. and Monument Valley are not SW, but are in Eastern Utah.

Ugh! And I went over the corner of the state in my head, I knew it was E, SE, but still managed to mess that up.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“… maybe a 1/4 mile at most!”

When in any doubt, walk in before driving in. You’ll be fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful there is a lot of soft sand in Utah, unless your class A is 4 wheel drive. I love going to the Moab area and south of there, also check the weather it gets hot early.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at Valley of the Gods BLM just north of Monument Valley in SE Utah. Access is UT 261 off of US 163 just north of Mexican Hat. When we drove through a few years ago there were a few C's and trailers boondocking there. Gooseneck State Park is also close by.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Arches N.P. and Monument Valley are not SW, but are in Eastern Utah.