cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Having Second Thoughts

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
We have some unused Disney passes, so sometime in December, we started looking for a place to stay near Disney (Orlando) over spring break which for us in next week.

The only place we found with availability was Winter Garden RV Resort, so we booked a premium site, with thoughts of continuing to look at nearby state parks for cancellations. Well, no luck so we are on for Winter Garden- but...

I starting to have second thoughts about this park and even going to Disney given current events due to the following:

The "Resort", while providing full hookups, has all grass sites. Pictures of the CG seem to indicate sites in close proximity, and there are many seasonal and permanent campers. RVParkReviews isn't making anything better with lots of so - so reviews.

I've read that Disney has told some workers to stay home.

I'm not an alarmist, but I'm beginning to have a sinking feeling that although I'm getting to use my camper, It just won't be a fun trip. We are visiting Fort Wilderness in early June to use the remainder of the passes and experience the camp ground, but I'm finding myself on the fence.

If I cancel at this point, I'd be fine with the one night fee not being refunded. Anyone have any experience with this resort? Would you want to go to Disney over spring break?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
8 REPLIES 8

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
We decided not to go before they announced the closure. I cancelled the reservation at winter garden and got a full refund. Out of pure luck or Divine intervention, we scored a Cancellation at Top Sail for the same time period. Sitting here on my site typing this listening to music and sipping wine.

MODERATOR'S EDIT: Per the site Admin's request, I am closing all COVID-19 threads and directing future comments to one thread in Around the Campfire: 2019โ€“20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
DisneyWorld is closing from 3/16-3/31. Universal is also closing. We are scheduled to fly to Tampa on 3/24, but one of the attractions we had hoped to go to, the manatee observation area in Apollo Beach is also closing. Our biggest concern is getting trapped down there because domestic air travel gets shut down. But we will wait until 3/20, our drop-dead date to cancel the hotel. We do have a back-up plan-a few days in a very nice hotel down the Cape-but it won't be the same. My heart goes out to all the kids who were dreaming of Disney and now can't go.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
We have some unused Disney passes, so sometime in December, we started looking for a place to stay near Disney (Orlando) over spring break which for us in next week.

The only place we found with availability was Winter Garden RV Resort, so we booked a premium site, with thoughts of continuing to look at nearby state parks for cancellations. Well, no luck so we are on for Winter Garden- but...

I starting to have second thoughts about this park and even going to Disney given current events due to the following:

The "Resort", while providing full hookups, has all grass sites. Pictures of the CG seem to indicate sites in close proximity, and there are many seasonal and permanent campers. RVParkReviews isn't making anything better with lots of so - so reviews.

I've read that Disney has told some workers to stay home.

I'm not an alarmist, but I'm beginning to have a sinking feeling that although I'm getting to use my camper, It just won't be a fun trip. We are visiting Fort Wilderness in early June to use the remainder of the passes and experience the camp ground, but I'm finding myself on the fence.

If I cancel at this point, I'd be fine with the one night fee not being refunded. Anyone have any experience with this resort? Would you want to go to Disney over spring break?

Itโ€™s being reported DisneyWorld Florida will close Sunday through the end of the month.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Disney this past week just returning home yesterday. You would never know anything is going on as it was very busy and Fort Wilderness was busy as well. Our flight was filled also and I had zero concerns. I myself am not overly concerned about the virus itself as much as I am about economic impact caused by all this panic that the media just loves to report on. It pisses me off when I see price gouging going on. Just today I see at Menards (midwest home improvement chain) were advertising "everyday low price" for a 2 pack of N95 dust masks for $39.95 and then you get a $20 mail in rebate, what a deal! I immediately wrote them an email letting them know they lost a customer however. I have a ton of them in my shop I could sell for a big profit:E

Anyway back on topic, go and enjoy the trip a don't fall into the hysteria and just use common sense.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
We will be there 4 nights - only spending one day at Disney.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go. I'm sure Disney asked some workers to stay home out of an abundance of caution. The US has a 1.9 per million population infection rate so your chances of randomly catching the virus are infinitesimal. The death rates are skewed due to where the virus has it, i.e. the nursing home in Seattle. If you are in otherwise good health and practice good hygiene you should be fine. I'm leaving for Tampa in a couple of weeks. Unless Southwest shuts down, I'm going.

I stand corrected. The CDC now is stating that this virus can be spread through droplets via sneeze or cough. This is contrary to what I had read earlier. I still would not change my plans.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What difference does the CG make if you are at Disney all day? Take advantage of hopefully fewer people like you. We like Stage Stop down the street , but you still park on the grass.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I would go. Maybe the crowds will be lighter but so far that hasn't materialized.
Also, you'd be in the parks so having a spacious site isn't all that important.