cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery On/Off Switch

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am going to install a battery on/off switch on a TT. Where would you put the actual switch? A lot of pictures I have seen they are on the plastic case the battery sits in.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf
8 REPLIES 8

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The answer is, anywhere you want it. Were is going to be convenient to have access to it? Close to the battery of course as you can.

Another option is to use a solenoid switch, the old mechanical kind, or a large relay to connect/disconnect. The only advantage of this method is you can put a small switch anywhere in the camper to operate the solenoid switch or relay. The switch will draw a small amount of power, so it will be a drain, but using a relay you can wire it that when you cut the battery OFF that the switch uses no power. This is called NO I think- Normally Open. The other setting on a relay is NC - Normally Closed. It would be the 87a terminal on a typical relay, where when no power goes to the relay the relay conducts the power, and when power is sent to the relay via the switch the relay cuts the battery power off. If you conect to the 87 terminal it is the opposite.
So, you can wire it that turning the switch off (using no power) also cuts the battery off. This means that when you have the battery power on the switch will use a tiny amount of power too.
You would have to wire the switch directly to the battery so that when the battery is cut off the switch is not dead also.
If interested we could walk you through this in more detail.

Also, a cheaper route is to use a circuit breaker instead of the big expensive on/off switch. Breakers for DC come in many amp ratings. I use a 100amp breaker for the battery cutoff.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Either the hot wire or the ground wire will accomplish what you want. However, if you put it on the ground wire, you disable the breakaway brakes on the trailer, so you HAVE TO remember to turn it back on before towing. If you put it on the hot wire, that is not the case. The breakaway brakes (should) wire directly to the battery.
Okay, you lost me. I'm no electrical whiz, but how does disconnecting the negative terminal affect the breakaway switch, but not the positive? Or are you saying you disconnect all the power from the positive except the breakaway switch?

The hot wire you want the switch on is almost the diameter of your thumb, or at least your little finger. The breakaway brake hot wire is also connected directly to the battery, but is no larger than a lamp cord, if that large. You leave that little wire permanently connected to the battery.

The ground wire from the breakaway brakes connect to the chassis of the trailer. If you disconnect the ground wire at the battery, the chassis is disconnected from the battery, so the breakaway brake is disconnected from the battery.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I completely agree...as close to the battery as you can.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Either the hot wire or the ground wire will accomplish what you want. However, if you put it on the ground wire, you disable the breakaway brakes on the trailer, so you HAVE TO remember to turn it back on before towing. If you put it on the hot wire, that is not the case. The breakaway brakes (should) wire directly to the battery.
Okay, you lost me. I'm no electrical whiz, but how does disconnecting the negative terminal affect the breakaway switch, but not the positive? Or are you saying you disconnect all the power from the positive except the breakaway switch?

Exactly.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I googled it and up popped an (open roads forum) post with pics. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
The closest you can get to the battery the better. No reason to have to make long runs of heavy gauge wire.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member