cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please Directv, what is going on Rant

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
It now appears as though Directv has me in a position where I tell them goodbye or agree to another two year commitment regardless of what they decide to do with 101/SD next spring! My older HD oval antenna on the house is causing problems and needs to be upgraded with the newer SWM antenna and newer receivers. I also have an 18 inch oval antenna on my shop/account which feeds the DTV SD vcr receiver in my shop. This receiver along with a Winegard Carryout travels in the trailer with us when camping. In order to get the newer equipment in the house, I have to agree to a two year extension.. When I asked DTV about the future of the SD / 101, they seem to know nothing or are not saying anything. DTV says regardless of the SD issue, and even if I lose it, I must remain with them for two more years after the upgrade or pay their early termination penalty / fee. They won't guarantee continued SD service for the RVer, but have no problem with an early termination fee even if the SD portion of your service is gone.. What a business Plan... Just a Rant and am not seeking solutions but saying goodbye to DTV and the NFL Package after 23 years and moving Dish might be worth investigation.. THIS IS JUST A RANT OF MINE and frustrated that no one at ATT/DIRECTV seems to care about those that have supported them for years..
20 REPLIES 20

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good information in this thread. It will be interesting to see whatever SD fallout occurs with DTV SD, plus service and pricing.

6 years ago I could not receive DTV SD in central OR and the winter Olympics. As it turned out DTV was not transmitting SD to that area and several others. I believed the SD end was coming w/o any knowledge of the pending 101 SD satellite change. Since then various other new areas do not have SD service. All customers in those areas got HD equipment even if they had SD TVs.

6 years ago I upgraded the RV to the RF Mogul dish with SWM and that dish can easily be converted to Dish.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

HikeN2Mts
Explorer
Explorer
If you have only a Dish RV account (dish outside)not a add on to home account, you purchase the receivers, antenna and the dvr so there is no monthly fee for rental equipment.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Its perdy simple in my book. Direct TV has been working fine for 25 yrs.
They want me to order the HD upgrade now, rather than wait till the 4-30-19 SD shutdown.
Now heres the simple part,......I ain't doin anything, and when the shutdown date arrives,.....and they actually do shut me down, I quit payin, simple as that. Curious to see how that goes.
Now if they want to get out here and update the needed equipment, and do it free of charge, I mite add, then there won't be any problem. But if they don't see it that way, it will be their loss. Either way, I got it figured out that I will win !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
DISH doesnโ€™t charge extra for DVR and HD fees..
Since when? As of the bill I just got a few days ago they still do.$15 for the Hopper DVR and $7 each for the Joeys.

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
With all the changes and alternatives.....it is a bit too much for a Neo-Luddite like me (78 y/o) to figure it out. If Dish had NFL Sunday Ticket...I would switch. Home service is OK, except for the $$..and RV is always a hassle.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
DISH doesnโ€™t charge extra for DVR and HD fees.. I pay $100/mo for our Hopper, one Joey and one 211 for the RV. No premiums, but lots of extra add ons for sports; ESPN U, SEC, etc.

Right now you can lock in two years of no increases and whatever else you can negotiate.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
We were DirecTV subscribers for 22 years before we turned it off over pricing. We were paying over $200 for 4 receivers (1 in the RV), HD fee, DVR fees, etc. We're using DirecTVNow which is not great by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a lot cheaper. We also tried Playstation Vue, but liked the DirecTVNow lineup a little better.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

hamrs_62
Explorer
Explorer
I read the same things on the dish web sties, every company has it's problems, cable, dis, directv, I can read all day long, I have amazon, I have kodi, youtube, plus there are free sites you can watch stuff on, so we have a variety

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched to Dish after 10+ years with Directv cause of their constant price increases. They don't seem to care if you drop them. Saved $37 a month.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We had directv for over 25 years but there price keeps going up. Dish doesn't have YES network. We got dish and listen to the ballgame on the radio.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Direct TV has always been the biggest rip off of them all. Dish has always been a much better value. Direct TV also engages in fraud. When you visit their kiosk's in the mall, they have two TV sets on, one running Direct tv and the other running Dish. They intentionally lower the resolution on the Dish setup to make theirs look better. Total fraud.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My 91 year old dad could't understand this lady from Direct TV. He should have just hung-up or asked for someone else to speak to. She called on a promotional for HBO channels. Dad was upset because when he got off the phone he thought the lady signed him up. He called back, but couldn't get a real person to talk to. Then he drove to my house because of what happened. Dang, I was on the phone for 15 minutes trying to clear this up. It's insane one recording after another just to get a live person.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I switched to DISH and couldnโ€™t be happier.

I got a Winegard Pathway X2 auto seek carry out that gets HD and both eastern and western arcs.

With the DISH app you can reauthorize your sat boxes and change locals.

With cheaper plans.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dish has a monthly plan and what's more your old DOME or DISH may still work with them (Manual dishes will work, automatics might).

With DTV at this time no dome works for HD far as I know. and soon not at all.
Dishes. some work, some do not. But with DISH Domes may work depending on the software and Dishes. Well all work to some extent.

And there is that monthly plan. not that I care for it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times