cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Pump Surge

salem
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent five nights in a partial hook-up park. We used our own shower a few times instead of the public showers. Everything worked fine till the last night. When the shower was running the water pump sounded as though it was surging. I thought perhaps the tank was getting low, so I filled the tank but the problem persisted. Now, the bathroom sink faucet runs just fine as does the kitchen sick faucet. Normally, when using the pump there is just a steady purr. With the shower it goes louder, then softer. Water pressure seems to stay the same. Trailer is a Starwood 5th wheel, by McKenzie. Where should I start looking for the problem? Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever it is worth, we found the Oxygenics too heavy for our flimsy little shower in the trailer -- so instead we installed it in our stick house master bathroom and it is really great.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The problem was simple. You went around the problem, which is OK. 99% of the time when a water pump surges or pulsates, the WATER SAVERS in the faucet necks cause a restriction that interrupts the psi flow of the water pump. You remove the neck screw on screen and pop out the plastic water restrictors. On a Shower head(the cheaper ones) you may not have this option and either replace the shower head or drill out the small hole in the neck to allow more water flow. Always open 2 or more faucets when this happens to determine if you have a water pump problem. Usually just opening both hot and cold on one faucet will stop the pulsating and that narrows it down to the restriction. Doug

PS, it would be rare for any air in the system to cause water pump pulsating/cycling. Doug

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Not going back to the original. Oxygenics is fantastic.:) Thanks everyone.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Since the OP had a problem with the pump doing quick on-off cycling, all he needed to do was re-establish the air pocket in the water heater. The shower head wasn't faulty, it just flowed the right amount of water to cause the cycling and a different head flowed a different amount. Adding an accumulator would improve things even more.
I was thinking the same but, the Oxygenics shower head is a great improvement compared to the OEM POS. If he wants to go back to his original shower head, adding an accumulator would correct the pulsing.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP had a problem with the pump doing quick on-off cycling, all he needed to do was re-establish the air pocket in the water heater. The shower head wasn't faulty, it just flowed the right amount of water to cause the cycling and a different head flowed a different amount. Adding an accumulator would improve things even more.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
Years ago I installed an Oxygenics shower head. My wife and I didn't care for it. Took it off and put it back in it's box. It is around somewhere.

Same here, except I sold mine to someone else who also thought they wanted one. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The Wizard beat me to it. I got the same problem with my kitchen sink faucet. new faucet and have not got that one figured out yet. :h

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I installed an Oxygenics shower head. My wife and I didn't care for it. Took it off and put it back in it's box. It is around somewhere.

Dusty

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Two thumbs up to the new Oxygenics shower head. Hard to believe what a difference. Best $39.00 we've spent in a long time.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, forgot to mention, pump runs steady with new shower head. No more surging.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the new Oxygenics shower head this evening. Very simple to install. First impression is that we are going to like it very much. Puts out a good, powerful stream of water. Much more so than the old one. We have a trip scheduled in a couple of weeks so we'll give it a good workout. If you're curious, we got the #24682 brushed aluminum, $39.00 on Amazon.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard: I removed the OEM (2005) shower nozzle and low and behold it purred like a new born kitten. Put the nozzle back on and the surging sound started up again. I've been putting off ordering a new Oxygenics shower head but I guess it's finally time.:) Thanks for your help.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try both of those suggestions. Thanks, guys.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
If, perchance, you did run the pump when the tank was low, you may have gotten air in the lines someplace. If all faucets/shower are getting a good flow of water but the pump still gets loud, open/close the low point drains to get the air out of the system.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad