cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Covering frig vent

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Our 8 cu ft Dometic propane/120VAC frig has a lower vent on the back of the trailer and a roof vent. We will be running the frig on 120VAC when traveling this summer, but as I understand it, that's still heater based and the coils still require ventilation for proper cooling.

We're going to be traveling 100's of kms on dusty roads. Initially I was thinking to cover the lower back frig vent to keep the dust out. But maybe not ...

Any suggestions?

The frig has to be working while we travel, and I'm not switching to a household frig at this point .
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow
12 REPLIES 12

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I think itโ€™s a needless worry. We traveled hundreds of miles on non-paved roads on our trip to Alaska including the Dalton Hwy. Our 5er has a rear fridge vent and rear stove vent. No issue with dust getting in the kitchen or the fridge compartment.
When it rains, driving on those muddy roads packs mud everywhere imaginable! However not in the fridge compartment.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Get a dry ice machine, just be careful using it in confined spaces as it releases CO2. With it you can turn off and seal the openings for some time.

Dry Ice Machines

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I know rear range hood vent will be a problem. Dust gets into the trailer from there all the time. Will plug/tape that up while travelling.
But hopefully the dust that gets into the back of the frig will just fall to the bottom of its compartment (sealed away from the trailer interior) and can be sucked up regularly.
It's the Dempster Hwy up in the Yukon that I'm worried about.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Having the vent on the back could increase dust intake quite a bit. You're wise to be concerned.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Donโ€™t fret the dust. There isnโ€™t enough air flow to cause it to inhale much dust. Besides, dust doesnโ€™t like to go up, itโ€™s heavier than air.

Have you ever seen the precleaner on a farm tractor? Itโ€™s a simple round housing surrounding the air intake that cause the air to swirl as itโ€™s drawn in, dust being heavier it canโ€™t make into the center, centrifugal force pushes it outwards till itโ€™s against the outer wall where falls harmlessly to the bottom.

Your fridge will do much the same thing.

Years back we drove thousands of kmโ€™s of dusty roads to Goose Bay Labrador, dusty as could be, no problem.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I look at things this way. Dust is dust and dirt is dirt and with propane or other how many refrigerators have I seen caked with dirt when they are pulled? None? I am getting ready to have an 18 gauge aluminum sheet bent to replace the steel cover on the back of the big refrigerator (24 CF) used in an umbilical house.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
But, you can sure turn OFF the refrigerator for a couple of hours at a time if you hit particularly dusty conditions and block off the vent(s) at that time.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
OK, that answers that.
No compressed air, but we will have a vacuum cleaner that I can use to suck and blow out the dust. Will just plan on doing that every few hundred kms.
Thanks all.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œbut as I understand it, that's still heater based and the coils still require ventilation for proper cooling.โ€

A fridge of any type without coils that doesnโ€™t require ventilation? Look at your home fridge.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Do not cover, fridge will not work right and you could damage it

If things get so dusty that fridge operation is affected

Turn off fridge and use comprised air to blow out the dust
Then turn it back on

You should never cover refrigerator vents while it is being operated. Both electric and propane are still heat based evaporation modes.
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YEP.......what he said^^^^^

Airflow/draft is required to remove the heat from absorber tubes and condenser fins REGARDLESS of which heat source is being used to boil the ammonia

If you want the fridge to cool,,,,,do NOT block ANY vents while fridge is ON
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MrWizard
Do not cover, fridge will not work right and you could damage it

If things get so dusty that fridge operation is affected

Turn off fridge and use comprised air to blow out the dust
Then turn it back on
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !