cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medical emergencies?

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
I've been wondering (and worrying) about what would happen to our dog if one of us had to go for emergency help while on the road, because of course our first responsibility would be to be there for each other. My DH is 79 in relatively good health, I am a bit younger and healthy, but it is something I wish we had a contingency plan for. Any suggestions from any folks traveling with their pets?
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
20 REPLIES 20

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
A local vet could possibly help out in a pinch also.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
BizmarksMom wrote:
I have 2 ICE numbers on my phone. One is my parents, the other is my sister. Both will do what it takes to make sure the pets are safe. In my family, the surviving pets are cared for. Period. End of story. Somebody takes them home, and cares for them. Pets are part of the family.

You're lucky. My Mom was like that, but my father only liked HIS dog - all others were worthless. My siblings would get rid of my animals just to spite me.

Fortunately, Bat-dog has reconsidered her life-long grudge against my best friend. Warning: when Bat-dog barks at you, DO NOT bark back. That grudge lasted 6 years. But now they have come to an understanding and Bat-dog approves of her as our emergency person. Moose-dog is so kind and good that everyone is willing to take him.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 ICE numbers on my phone. One is my parents, the other is my sister. Both will do what it takes to make sure the pets are safe. In my family, the surviving pets are cared for. Period. End of story. Somebody takes them home, and cares for them. Pets are part of the family.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, Iโ€™m flat out, bat quano crazy and I admit it.

If I dial 911 on my phone my emergency contact is automatically notified. I also carry an ICE card. It is the trust department at a home town bank. They have written instructions to spend whatever it takes to get my dog back to the rescue where I got him. The rescue has committed to take care of him for as long as is necessary and rehome him if need be.
Larry

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Vial of Life gives responders important information if you become ill. Be sure to add info on pets, meds, feeding etc. Leaving ICE (in case of emergency) information could also be vital. Be sure you have contact info not only at your RV but ON your person as well (purse/wallet). May we never need all this prep.................

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Some good ideas here.

Nobody has yet mentioned ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers on cell phones. Many first responders routinely check for one. Even with a locked phone, there are ways of doing it. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Case_of_Emergency

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I need to do some paperwork

Some years ago Wife and I signed up for MASA.. Medical Air Services Assn.

If one of us has a medical issue (Wife had one she died, the ultimate issue)
MASA pays for a plane to return us home. (Or return the body) private jet no less (lear) and a porter to drive the motor home.

You leave instructions in the fridge as to the cat. (in my case) or Dog.

FMCA has a program like that but I can not compare.

When my Wife died I transported her ashes. but MASA paid for the gas.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Coach Net has emergency assistance for pet care. Info

Thank you!! Excellent info.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs are crated. We have a sign on the RV, that their are dogs inside and where the crate is in relation to the door. Also shows contact phone numbers for other family members who will guarantee payment for services should they be needed. We also carry cards with us saying we have dogs in the RV and the name, phone number and site number of the campground we are staying at. When planning trips, I spend as much time researching local vets as I do destinations and stop overs. Still travel with fingers crossed.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Have documentation on your person(s), in your car and also a sign on your RV door that there's a pet inside. This would also be helpful if there was an RV fire. When you sign in at a RV park, let them know. If taken by ambulance from your RV or car they'll see that there's a pet and it will be taken care of. They won't leave it behind uncared for. Things have a way of working out. Don't get yourself worked up about this. Pets will adapt to their different circumstances even though you think they may not. Think of all the shelters and the pets that had homes previously. They're now adapting, not having separation issues. When adopted they become one of a family again.

Since we were full-timers and traveled constantly we always carried an updated travel route/information form in our car and on the dash of the RV. It stated our personal info, who to contact in case of emergency (& this person should know about your pet), where our RV is parked & where we plan to stay next, license plate numbers and description and a tentative route we'll be taking. Of course, things/routes/campgrounds can change but this would be a start in finding our RV. This could also be helpful if one of you is in town shopping or whatever and you would be in an accident. Then the emergency folks would have a way of finding the other half of you. We never had to use it but it's just another thing you can do. You can't cover every incident. Be positive!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
LadyRVer wrote:
Now that I am alone traveling with another cocker, I have a card in my billfold, with dog info and please take to nearest vet if I am incapacitated. I will be responsible for charges.

This is a great idea.

Also, please remember the other side of the coin. If someone else is unable to look after their pet due to an emergency, please consider fostering that animal for them. So often, people feel they have no choice but to give up the pet because it is too expensive to board the pet for several months straight. Offering to take in the pet for no more than the cost of food (or not even that) until the owner can care for them again is a huge comfort to folks.

My mom took in several cats during the Oakland Hills Fire years ago. The people were able to deal with the loss of their homes and get back on their feet knowing that the cats were well cared for and would return to them as soon as they had a new home.

If someone is facing an emergency in Northern California and needs a safe place for their pet, please contact me.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Unless you have family, or friends close enough, and familiar with your pet, it is not going to be a good experience. My little one, pictured on sig page, is so attached to me, that I don't think she'd survive long term. I would feel better having my wife be there for her, rather than be with me. The longest mine has been separated from me is 4 days, and that was at home, with my wife. I won't go into it, but even that did not go well.

Every ones pet, and separation anxieties may be different, so what works great for some families, may not work for you. The more attention your pet gets from you, the harder the separation is for them.

Sorry, no easy answer, but many of us worry about the same issue.

Jerry

Actually that part is not true. It's not the act of giving attention to the dog that creates separation anxiety. It's a fear response to the perceived losing of safety that the owner presents.

I point that out because most dogs can move to a new family and be fine.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net has emergency assistance for pet care. Info

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
My friends have a sign on their RV door to let people know that there is a pet inside.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara