cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Life unexpectedly comes to a sudden end!

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
Here's our story of what happened to us three months back... being in Australia we travel north for our winter months, we had left Melbourne some six weeks previously and were in the outback boondocking near the town of Longreach Queensland when our motorhome started displaying transmission and other erroneous errors, then a few days later we lost reverse gear so now we knew that things were serious.

While we were trying to deal with motorhome transmission problems my wife became quite ill, I thought it was stress related but it later proved to be a previously undiagnosed serious condition.
Anyhow, the nearest service workshop for our motorhome was some 600 miles east at Bundaberg, a city on the Queensland coast, so we headed off hoping we could get there without needing reverse gear or worse yet have a complete breakdown.
On the way to the service centre we had a blowout while going through the mountains and were stranded on a dangerous curve for a few hours until roadside assist could get to us.
Continuing on and during an overnight stop we had a heavy rainstorm where we discovered a serious roof leak that flooded the interior.

We reached Bundaberg the next day and spent two weeks in an apartment during which time we had the RV fixed and my wife got medical treatment.

What an adventure this turned out to be, for we had been RVing for 17 years and up until now never had really any serious problems then they all came at once. After getting things sorted out in Bundaberg we drove 1,700 miles home where we realised that after 17 great years, this was the end of RV life for us and with sadness we sold our Class C motorhome.
No regrets however as we met so many great people and experienced so much during our retirement years (we are aged 76 and 75).

So there's a lesson here for all in the RV community, and you don't need me to spell it out.
7 REPLIES 7

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV is not the only way to travel. Best wishes to your next adventures.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Downunda, I feel your pain, we are 77 and my wife's health is getting worse and worse. She has multiple problems and walks with a walker so it is hard for her to get in and out of the motor home. I am not ready to sell it but it is 20 years old with low miles and in good shape but not worth a lot of money. Since I have indoor storage for it and don't need the money I think I will keep it in hope to use it again. It is scary to have health problems or mechanical problems like you did so I certainly understand your position! I guess we should be thankful for all of the good times we have had!!!
Best wishes,
Ed
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Downunda wrote:
I should add that we weren't full-timers but did travel around for five months each year. I knew we'd have to slow up or quit one day but I'd naively assumed that the "when" would be more planned.

Full-timers can learn from us and ensure that you have Plan B ready to go just in case. Had we not had a home to go to immediately after my wife took ill we would have been in a real pickle.

We follow a lot of RVers on youtube and that gives us a lot of continuing enjoyment... we're out there with you in spirit.

Please stick around and keep us updated on RV'ing in Australia ! Even if you only have to hear, and read, about it yourselves. It's always great to here about things from what we call "Down Under".

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that we weren't full-timers but did travel around for five months each year. I knew we'd have to slow up or quit one day but I'd naively assumed that the "when" would be more planned.

Full-timers can learn from us and ensure that you have Plan B ready to go just in case. Had we not had a home to go to immediately after my wife took ill we would have been in a real pickle.

We follow a lot of RVers on youtube and that gives us a lot of continuing enjoyment... we're out there with you in spirit.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I wish you the best for the future.
I always tell people to travel and enjoy themselves while they can, you don't know what life will hand you tomorrow.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we may be in the same boat...and end to our 35-seasons of traveling and camping. my wife has mobility issues which severely limits what we can do together at a destination. and I do not enjoy taking long walks or short-to-medium hikes alone...even if Maggie the Wonder Beagle is with me. getting ready for winter and spring is getting harder and our enjoyment of the MH is lessening.

might be time to sell. but then what? I'm glad we kept it this year as it was a lifeboat of sorts when my BIL passed away in California. his home was unlivable so we stayed in our MH while we spent nearly 3-months clearing, cleaning and selling his home and settling his affairs. but if we sell this year then what? we like to winter in AZ but I can't see us in a condo, townhouse or apartment. park model? maybe. buy a second home in AZ? maybe but that seems overkill for 2-3-months a year as we don't want to live there year round.

what to do...what to do?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Medical issues were ... Progressing
But a Truck Driver took exception to where I parked and did just enough damage that the insurance company said "Totaled".

Now.. I could have argued but the rig was starting to show serious signs of age, oh it looked rater good for a 15 year old rig but.... Suspension, and other vital parts were wearing out.... I was looking at liely 10-20 thousand in maintenance over the next year or two.

I live in an apartment now and my medical issues are mixed. Some are regressing (Getting better) and I'm close to my primary care team year round.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times