cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fulltiming Coming to an End, But Travelling Is Not

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been fulltiming for several years. We intended to fulltime until: 1) it was no longer fun and began to feel like work, or 2) our health required us to be near the same medical team more often. After my wife suffered a series of strokes, we regretfully recognize we are in option #2.
We have been living full time in a 40' fiver, and travelling between our kids and grandkids families in a loop around the country: Washington State, Indiana, Delaware, and looping back to Texas when the weather turns colder. We still want / need to make the loop, but we don't need to take everything we need / own (they're not the same thing, are they?) on every excursion.
We are considering downsizing to a mid-sized Class A or a longer Class C while limiting our outings to the 60-day range, and wanted to hear your thoughts on why you prefer your Class A or your Class C. My co-pilot has had a series of spinal surgeries, in addition to the strokes, and is in constant back pain, so comfort of ride is crucial for us to continue our travels. Does your Class C "shake you up" as I've been told or could we travel for six hours a day on the road and arrive without feeling like we've been off-roading all day?
MtnMike
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
2017 Dodge Laramie Longhorn Ram 3500; 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, DRW
6 REPLIES 6

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. That's a good idea.
MtnMike

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
MtnMike - notice that *this* forum receives only a small number of replies. They're all good....just not very many.

Suggest you post (as a new thread - duplicates are not allowed) in *at least* "General RVing Issues" forum, and/or the Class A and Class C forums - as lots of the posters (in the A & C) have had both.

When(if) you go for a ride in either style of MH - make sure you take a cruise on a "local" road/highway - - rather than a smooth freeway or well-maintained blvd.....to get the "real feel"!!

Good luck with your search.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife and I are still "full timing", but in another sense. We were volunteering at National, State Parks, etc. up until last year, but have since purchased land built an RV pad and are staying in the RV on that lot. We are still free to go out when we feel like, but are living in the RV. It is a 5th wheel. We have an are and a washer/dryer hooked up in a shed. When it gets to freezing temps we just shut off the water to the shed and put RV anti-freeze in the washer. We do have heated water hoses also. It is cheaper than a home and is allowing us to live on S.S. baring any emergencies. We figured that having our own lot would pay for itself in 5 yrs. compared to living at a CG for 6 months a year.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quality of the seats notwithstanding, the nice thing about the MH is the ability to move out of the co pilot seat and travel in a recliner or on the bed if you need to decompress your spine and relax, whereas the 5er the law prohibits riding it so your only option is the TV.

Class C = Van cutaway chassis and so the interior is very similar if not the same as the HD pickups of that brand. Class A DP's built on a bus chassis are designed to accommodate air ride seats and other options designed to keep professional drivers comfortable for a whole shift.

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. How did the ride of the Class C compare with the ride of your TV under load?
MtnMike

mlpeloquin
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a class c, fifth wheel, and now a class a. My wife finds that the class a seat is much more comfortable as well as the ride. This is a diesel pusher. That being said, you really need to go and look, sit, and then drive to see what is the most comfortable for her. What is good for one may not be for another.