cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another can my truck pull this thread...

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
I will keep this simple. Truck is on 3 year lease so not going anywhere for another 2.5 years so no uprade comments for this discussion. Currently upgrading from 3,900lb travel trailer.

Truck is brand new 2018 Ford F150:
- 3.5 EcoBoost - 375hp/475tq
- 4x4 SuperCrew
- Trailer Tow Package
- Trailer Sway Control package
- Intergrated brake controller
- Back up trailer assist package
- Heavy duty rear axle (2018 option)
- 10 speed trans
- 2,030 lb payload
- 10,700 lb trailer rating
- 3:55 Gear option
- 6.5 Ft bed

Perspective trailer is Jayco 273 Toy Hauler
- 6,450 lbs
- 1045 lbs tongue
- 53 fresh gallon tank (no gas tank)
- Length 30' 11"

Additional considerations:
- I am an offroad racer (dirt bikes) and sleep at the races for
weekend. Never camp for more than 3-4 days, so usually pack very
light and go alone (I know seems like overkill)
- Most often will only load 1 or 2 (240 lb dirt bikes) in the toy
hauler.
- Maybe once a year will bring 3-4 buddies and their bikes, but that
is rare. Most of the time it will just be me and the dirt bike.
- Will camp with the family a few times a year (3 of us all under
180lbs each) with no toys (dirt bike).
- I have no quads or SxS nor will I ever.
23 REPLIES 23

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch up and go camping

No worries
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:

I think 3700 lbs is a little extreme. I have been camping for a few years now and if I EVER packed even 500lbs of stuff I would be surprised. What they heck did you pack, a full size car inside the camper...3700 LOL. The camper has GVWR of 9950, so even loaded to its max I can not go over my tow weight capacity and at 12% tonque of max loaded weight, that is 1200 lbs which gives me more than 800lbs of payload for passengers in the truck. That is FOUR 200lb adults, which I will never have.

The only limiting factor for my truck is payload and I would literally have to have a FULLY loaded 9950lb camper with 4 full size adults to meet/exceed that capacity, and even then it is still close.

3700 added in the truck AND trailer.
3 more well fed guys
4 bikes (2 being over 340lb dual sports)
Generator, water, fuel, 4 gear bags, ect ect ect.

All that weight wasn't added to the trailer... add your friends to the truck payload, add their gear bags, add their lounge chairs, add their misc.
Maybe you won't load as heavy as we did, but we went into the desert without a visit to town for anything.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks GMW...yes...typo and is should be GAWR...

gmw photos wrote:
I agree with Ben's above post with one correction: I think he meant to say, rear GAWR,

instead of

"Why higher class TV's all have +6K RGVWR...it for that reason...most of the weight on most any TV is carried on the rear axle assembly"
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
95jersey wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
You might want to double check your lease agreement. Many forbid towing of any sort.

Not forbidden, I made sure when I leased it. You may be thinking rental agreements. They usually forbid towing. Been towing and using lease vehicles for more than a decade. I just have no interest in owning any vehicle.

Lol, new twist donno...
Usually you go straight for the " you need a dually to tow that" argument.

Jersey, truck will be fine with that trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
So the payload weight is not all on the rear. The tongue weight yes but the weight of passenger will be more distributed. The rear weight rating is 3850 lbs and I would run weight dist hitch to unload the rear.

Many folks look at a truck payload sticker and think they have (in your trucks case) 2030 lbs of payload to use in the bed ie; hitch weight/the hitch/other gear. Your trucks rear axle can weigh in the 2300-2400 lb range. Now add 2030 lbs in the bed = 4430 lbs on your trucks rear axle/wheels/spring pack and passenger tires.
Basically your truck has a 3850 rawr and may weigh in the 2400 lb range. Simple math shows this truck can carry around 1400-1500 lbs in the bed before exceeding rawr.
Actual weights come from actual scaled axle weights....which everyone with a truck that is carrying heavy loads and pulling a big trailer should know. My point is you sure don't want to overload a tire/wheel.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Ben's above post with one correction: I think he meant to say, rear GAWR,

instead of

"Why higher class TV's all have +6K RGVWR...it for that reason...most of the weight on most any TV is carried on the rear axle assembly"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Jimnlin...most all TV's loading on the vehicle is behind the mid point of the wheel base. Normally behind the driver door's rear edge, but the OP has a crew, so an extra row of seats...here is an Internet pic just found of a 2018 F150 Crew 4x4

Notice that the second row is BEHIND the mid point of this teeter-totter weighting of 'this' TV...most of the added, onboard weight will be on the rear axle side of that teeter-totter mid point

Yes, the WD Hitch system does WD some of the weight back onto the trailer tongue and to the TV's front axle, but the majority of that weight remains on the TV's rear axle

Why higher class TV's all have +6K RGVWR...it for that reason...most of the weight on most any TV is carried on the rear axle assembly

Congratulate this OP, as *ALL* of the folks have come across who lease their TV's DO NOT take care to check out the weights...they just load up and drive it...as they know they will NOT suffer the longevity issues with overloading...knowing only the next owner(s) will or might suffer their consumption of the design margins...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Loaded Tongue weight is the only concern I have. Starting at 1050 dry, that will go up - a lot unless there are heavy toys behind the axles.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The only limiting factor for my truck is payload and I would literally have to have a FULLY loaded 9950lb camper with 4 full size adults to meet/exceed that capacity, and even then it is still close.

You left out the most important part of your trucks weight spec ...RAWR as its going to carry all the weight in the bed. The 2030 payload is a GVWR based payload which comes from the trucks total unladin weight as shipped from Ford.
As was mentioned above by gmw photos "what is your trucks RAWR " ? Look on the drivers side door post placard. You sure don't want a wheel/tire/rear spring pack overload.

So the payload weight is not all on the rear. The tongue weight yes but the weight of passenger will be more distributed. The rear weight rating is 3850 lbs and I would run weight dist hitch to unload the rear.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

You left out the most important part of your trucks weight spec ...RAWR as its going to carry all the weight in the bed. The 2030 payload is a GVWR based payload which comes from the trucks total unladin weight as shipped from Ford.
As was mentioned above by gmw photos "what is your trucks RAWR " ? Look on the drivers side door post placard. You sure don't want a wheel/tire/rear spring pack overload.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
I think you are going to run out of truck payload. My 21' TH has a 1k tongue before toys (that increases throughout the trip since my gray and black are forward of the axle), and can increase with more forward loading of toys and luggage. I'd expect that trailer to have more tongue weight than that; 1300-1400 I would guess.

Bringing your buddies and their bikes? You simply don't have enough truck. 4 of us go to Moab every year. 4 bikes, gas, water, beer, generator, chairs, everything we need for the trip is packed. My rig gained 3700lbs worth of bodies and stuff last time we weighed; a little over 17k combined. I don't have the amount of trailer you are looking at, but 3 bikes in the trailer with all of our gear bags and luggage on the front bed. Truck packing the 4th bike, gen, fuel, ect. My truck took on 2400lbs over empty (if I remember correctly).

I think you need a shorter trailer.

I think 3700 lbs is a little extreme. I have been camping for a few years now and if I EVER packed even 500lbs of stuff I would be surprised. What they heck did you pack, a full size car inside the camper...3700 LOL. The camper has GVWR of 9950, so even loaded to its max I can not go over my tow weight capacity and at 12% tonque of max loaded weight, that is 1200 lbs which gives me more than 800lbs of payload for passengers in the truck. That is FOUR 200lb adults, which I will never have.

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
Towed the trailer in my sig for three years with my (leased) 2014 Ecoboost. I had the Max-Tow package, and LT tires. The truck did great towing, the only issue was of course cargo capacity. I was always up against the limit. My trailer camp ready was usually around 7000-7500.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are going to run out of truck payload. My 21' TH has a 1k tongue before toys (that increases throughout the trip since my gray and black are forward of the axle), and can increase with more forward loading of toys and luggage. I'd expect that trailer to have more tongue weight than that; 1300-1400 I would guess.

Bringing your buddies and their bikes? You simply don't have enough truck. 4 of us go to Moab every year. 4 bikes, gas, water, beer, generator, chairs, everything we need for the trip is packed. My rig gained 3700lbs worth of bodies and stuff last time we weighed; a little over 17k combined. I don't have the amount of trailer you are looking at, but 3 bikes in the trailer with all of our gear bags and luggage on the front bed. Truck packing the 4th bike, gen, fuel, ect. My truck took on 2400lbs over empty (if I remember correctly).

I think you need a shorter trailer.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
How much is the rear axle rating (RAWR) ? How much does it weigh before you hook up a trailer to it ?