cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Distribution hitches ??????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
looking for some opinions about weight distribution hitches.... Bought a used TT, 2004 28foot loaded tops 5000lbs... Have a 2012 ram 1500 short bed, hemi. When i bought it the guy gave me to distribution hitches for it..

1st one is one of those chain type distribution hitches like like pictured here.... IT IS NOT THIS HITCH, JUST THIS STYLE WITH THE CHAINS.

chain type

2nd, is a equalizer type hitch where u have the square bars that connect to the trailer as in the 2nd picture...THIS IS NOT THE HITCH I HAVE JUST SHOWING THE STYLE I AM TALKING ABOUT...

square type distribution

So my question is which one of the hitches is better to use for my set up as listed above? Any opinion as to what might be the better type of hitch between the two???? What is your preference? any opinions would be helpful
thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Innovation of the Equal-i-zer Hitch in 1945 and Mobile Manufacturing started by Ed Hedgepeth. First patent filed for in 1951 all rights to Mobile Manufacturing. Mobile Manufacturing changes name to Lindon Hitches in 1984. lindon Hitches changes to Progress Mfg. Inc 2003. These are according to this page. https://www.equalizerhitch.com/images/images/EQ_HistoryOf-Manufacturing_Infographic_170725_182619.jpg

They have been in business for 70+ yrs. So possibly I was mistaken about the hitches as I can't find anything showing what they were a number of years ago although a picture showing the first one shows it with chains but not as we think of them nowadays.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sound Guy, you are correct. Don't expend much more of your energy.

I have an Equal-i-zer brand and am very happy with it. I have actually had two, a smaller one on my first trailer and now the one I am using. Never had a problem with sway, never had a problem hooking or unhooking and always feel at ease towing with it. When I was first looking I didn't like the whole idea of snapping those chains into place and I really didn't like the issue they had with friction sway bars. Back then, you couldn't back up with them and you had to tighten them down. I never could figure out how tight to tighten them and if I needed one or two.

Today there are many hitches with built in sway control. Reese dual cam as someone has mentioned is a good example of one. If you have an Equal-i-zer hitch, use it and see how it works for you. Progressive has a website where you can get all the support you need to set it up.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
SoundGuy, Many times I've encountered someone who is sure it's always been that way because that's all the longer they've been around or aware of it. If you look up Progress Manufacturing Incorporated you'll find they've only been in business for 22 years.

This Bloomberg business link indicates Progress Mfg was established in 1960 as Lindon Hitch, later changing it's name to Progress in 2004, yet this Progress Mfg webpage indicates the company is celebrating 70 years, meaning a 1947 start up. Since you seem to be an expert on subject perhaps you'd care to clarify the discrepancy. :W

So are you able to state with 100% certainty there wasn't an Equalizer brand before this company came out with their Equal-i-zer hitch system?

Likewise can you state that there was? ๐Ÿ˜‰

None of which matters in the slightest as the OP clearly has an Equal-i-zer brand weight distribution hitch manufactured by Progress Mfg so I'll repeat - if it's in good shape, properly sized for the trailer he has, and is installed properly he'd be wise to use it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer the old style weight distribution hitches and I see the add on sway control as a positive. There is no reason why one can't tow great. I had the fortunate opportunity to tow with the same hitch both the dual friction bar set up and the Dual-Cam sway control. There was absolutely no difference in how the trailer handled and the sway prevention on both. That's apples to apples comparison..same basic hitch.

The real key to sway prevention has nothing to do with the sway control...it has to do with the set up. The trailer must be loaded correctly and matched to the tow vehicle properly...the weight distribution hitch must be set up correctly.

Integrated sway control force you to use the sway control at all times...yes even in the times you may not want the trailer to track straight...such as on an icy road or gravel roads where you are towing.

Add on sway control also gives you the option to have just a weight carrying shank (forged preferably) with sway bar mounts welded on. This is a great back up solution to keep you towing if your weight distribution hitch head fails and it lets you keep sway control. Been there done that and I will not tow a camper with out a back up solution to get the camper home if a hitch head failure occurred.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy, Many times I've encountered someone who is sure it's always been that way because that's all the longer they've been around or aware of it. If you look up Progress Manufacturing Incorporated you'll find they've only been in business for 22 years. So are you able to state with 100% certainty there wasn't an Equalizer brand before this company came out with their Equal-i-zer hitch system?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
For those saying Equalizer never built the chain type I think if you go back a number of years you'll find they did. Wd hitches were referred to as equalizer hitches as long as 40 years ago

There is no such manufacturer as "Equalizer" but rather Progress Manufacturing which for years has produced the one-and-only Equal-i-zer branded weight distribution hitch which uses no chains. The point is that just as there may be endless facial tissue products there is only one Kleenex branded tissue ... and the same is true of weight distribution systems - while there are endless varieties of "equalizing" hitches, some of which are chain systems, others of which are not, there is only one Equal-i-zer branded WD hitch and it is in fact the second product referred to by the OP in his original post, whether he knows it or not.

TexasRangerRzR
Explorer
Explorer
ret usn wrote:
Sorry I was way wrong. Mine says equaliing not equalizer. It is manufactured by EZ Lift. I feel dumb now.

At least you came back to admit the mistake ... ๐Ÿ˜„

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
For those saying Equalizer never built the chain type I think if you go back a number of years you'll find they did. Wd hitches were referred to as equalizer hitches as long as 40 years ago

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And who here hasn't, ret usn?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I was way wrong. Mine says equaliing not equalizer. It is manufactured by EZ Lift. I feel dumb now.
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ret usn wrote:
I do not think equaliser is just a brand name according to their website they also manufacture and sell the chain type.In fact I have one

If you "have one" then you need to post a pic and provide a link to this product as I doubt anyone would believe what you have was manufactured by Progress Manufacturing which builds the original Equal-i-zer WD hitch with integrated 4-way sway control and through it's wholly owned subsidiary Fastway Trailer Products offers the E2 WD hitch with integrated 2-way sway control, neither of which uses any chains at all.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
Bought a used TT, 2004 28foot loaded tops 5000lbs...

2nd, is a equalizer type hitch where u have the square bars that connect to the trailer as in the 2nd picture...THIS IS NOT THE HITCH I HAVE JUST SHOWING THE STYLE I AM TALKING ABOUT...

square type distribution

So my question is which one of the hitches is better to use for my set up as listed above?

Hard to believe a 28' trailer's GVW, loaded and ready to camp, is going to "top out" at just 5000 lbs ... heck, my own 19' couple's trailer "tops out" at just under 5000 lbs ready to camp. You need to recalculate or better still go weigh it.

Secondly, assuming that Equal-i-zer is in good shape AND is properly sized for the TRUE WEIGHT of your trailer I can't imagine why you wouldn't use it as it's one of the best out there and has been for years.

Your task, should you choose to accept it :W is to figure out just how much your trailer really does weigh loaded & ready to camp and based on that decide if this Equal-i-zer hitch is the right size for the job at hand ... if so, ensure it's properly installed and you should enjoy problem free towing. :B

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think equaliser is just a brand name according to their website they also manufacture and sell the chain type.In fact I have one
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
First, I would double check your weight. 5000# for a loaded 28' trailer is extremely light.
We've been using a Dual cam for many years. Its active sway control does an amazing job and only kicks in when needed.